District error could cost me a day's pay. Do I have any recourse?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Sep 7, 2012.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

No one has found more creative ways to lose money subbing. I am the master, and I am proving it again.

This year, the district director sent out a letter to all subs stating that an updated ID badge will have to be worn to all school sites this year, and that if you had not made an appointment to get your photo taken by September 7 , that you will not be able to accept any jobs.

She added that you only need to make an appointment if your photo had never been taken.

If your photo had already been taken, all you had to do was come pick up your badge this week.

Yesterday I went to pick up my badge, only to discover that it wasn't available because I needed my photo taken.

My sub secretary said that for some unknown reason, my photo was not in the database, so she would let me accept jobs until my Sept 19 appointment, and I could just use last years badge.

Unfortunately, my appointment is for 9 AM, so to keep this appointment I would need to miss a day's work for an omission that was not my fault.

If I they do not have after school appointments and I am required to come in during class hours , should I fill out a petition to get a day's pay?

What would be my chances of success?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2012

I'm not trying to be mean, but I have never met anyone, here or in real life, who has more sub drama than you.

You haven't actually lost any pay because you haven't actually worked on the day in question. Let this one go.

4. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

The day in question will be September 19, so the chances of otherwise working our highly probable.

Yes, sub drama, and other types of drama have followed me around since I was four years old.

I can just accept it and lose out because of it, or I can fight it.

If I lose, at least I tried.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Sep 7, 2012

I wouldn't fight it. You could be dropped permanently. I don't think it'd be worth it.

Let this be a lesson to you to ALWAYS double check. It wouldn't have killed you to drop by the office before the school year started to check and see if everything was in order.

Better to be safe than sorry. In this case you missed out because you did not double check.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2012

I would let it go.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

I am always polite in my discourse, so I do not think I would be dropped.

I merely e- mailed the secretary asking for the extension of who is in charge of photos because I expect to be working at 9 AM that morning and wanted an after school appointment.

Maybe I would let this issue pass, but losing at least $125 due to a district error is hard to swallow.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 7, 2012

I wouldn't 'fight' it, but i would try to see if there could be an after school appointment made. With having so many subs working for a school system, it's easy to fall out of favor over one little thing, and that could mean not getting any jobs. It's not worth it. Maybe you could still get a half day job.

9. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

This is the advice I have already taken.

We have a great secretary, which certainly helps.

As an aside, I do plan on writing my autobiography after I retire since as Ceasar said, drama does seem to follow me around.

I have the first 30 years of my life on 18 hours of cassette tape.

It will not be comprehensive, but will focus on multiple butterfly effects created by seemingly non random events and my responses to these events, both good and bad.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2012

I once had to drive to an approved clinic 45 minutes from my house to get drug tested. Did I ask for mileage or compensation for my time? No. It was something I had to do if I wanted my job.

If you want your job, you will go get your picture taken and that is that. If you don't want to do that, I am sure that someone else will gladly take your place.

I don't want to come off as mean, but this is a pretty ridiculous question.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 7, 2012

If I understand this right, even though you do not have a picture on file, their mistake, you still are able to accept jobs until your appointment. If, it had been your mistake you wouldn't be able to accept jobs, period. So, they are working with you.

I don't understand why you would file a petition to get a day's pay. At my school only the building sub works daily. All others are on-call. If they don't get called, they don't get paid. If you're a building sub, would the P let you leave to get your picture taken & then you come right back? If you're on call, then you can accept a 1/2 job.

12. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

I have already decided not to pursue this further should an after school appointment not be an option. Our personnel tech has always done her best to look out for us, so I will let it go.

Although we are on-call, I do not however feel we should be forced to turn down a job because of the employer's mistake.

Therefore, although I will not pursue this, I will still feel wrongly cheated out $125 if I cannot reschedule.

Half days are possible, but quite rare.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 7, 2012

Do you have a job booked for that day already? You are not guaranteed work on that day. What would you do if you had a doctor's appointment and the only available time was 9 am?

14. carol2010

carol2010 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012

I think it is good that you didn't complain. Even though it is a day of pay lost. It would be worse to lose all pay by tarnishing your relationship with the school district.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 8, 2012

Apparently we've found the new "World's Most Interesting Man". I'll pass on reading the book though.

16. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Sep 8, 2012

LMFAO!!

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 8, 2012

I just can't help but notice that almost every thread you start is about how you the system (school district, court system) has screwed you out of some amount of money. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it makes me question the pattern.

18. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

It would depend on how necessary the appointment is.

There are all sorts of reasons why subs are not given work or must reject work on given days. Most of these reasons are no one's fault and are just fate. It comes with the territory.

I feel it is different when your employer's mistake costs you a day's pay, however.

I lost $140 a few years ago because some moron poured motor oil over a stray cat I was caring for, so I requested a last minute replacement for me so I could bring this cat to the vet.

Nothing I could do about this lost pay, it goes under the "S%^t happens" category. This situation is different.

19. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

Most of the time I lose money it is my fault, or an act of fate, but there is no point seeking advice on these matters because nothing can be done.

I also realize then in my quest to illicit opinions and good advice, I will also get sarcasm and ridicule.

I expect it knowing it comes with the territory, but it is worth the effort to hear what others would do in similar situations.

20. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

I'm sorry but I have gone back and read your posts and you complain. A lot. You want to make sure something like this never happens again? Check, double check and then triple check. Your under the assumption you are going to work that day. What are you going to do next? Blame teachers who don't call out sick because you were denied a days pay by not getting called in? That would be as logical as me blaming people for not purchasing my ebay options. Suck it up and move on.

21. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 10, 2012

Your analogies astound me.

Just put me on ignore.

22. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Sep 10, 2012

Your whining astounds me.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 11, 2012

Most people are telling you to move on. I agree. It seems like you are waiting for someone to tell you that you are right and deserve the day's pay. I doubt anyone is going to do that.

24. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

I do admit that my poorly chosen semantics and inclusions have often come across as complaining or whining.

I apologize for this, and will try to use more palatable language in the future.

Nevertheless, I have no regrets for having started my "complaint" threads.

I have received valuable opinions and advice over the years from wise posters in this forum who have provided insight into my matters of concern from varied perspectives, and for this I am grateful.

Regarding this current matter, I decided only minutes after my initial post to let it go if my request for an after school photo appointment is denied.

The responses I do not agree with here are those that shift the blame to me for not "double checking" or "having my things in order"

The same letter from the district director was sent out to all of the 200 plus subs, telling us to come pick up our new badges the week of Sept. 3rd if our picture had been taken.

I feel that this letter provided reasonable assurance that our badges would indeed be there.

I am guessing that few subs actually stopped by the district office or called in advance of last week to make absolutely sure that their badges were ready.

I also doubt the district office would appreciate having 200 subs checking in before hand to make sure their photos were not lost or to confirm their badge would actually be ready.

Even if I had made such an advance inquiry, it is still possible, if not probable ,that I would still have been given a photo appointment during school hours.
    School started on August 13 and and the letter was sent out August 22.
    Previously, wearing our badges was not a prerequisite for accepting jobs.

As an aside, my sub experiences have been far more positive than negative. It is mostly peripheral issues for which I seek advice.