Distressed Furniture

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

I recently distressed two cabinets. The under coat is ivory and the stain is brown. Well, I think I got it too dark. Does anyone know how I can lighten it up a bit without re-doing the whole process? Do you even know what I'm talking about???!!!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

Grammy, you are my hero!!!!! My whole house is distressed furniture, but I paid for it. I don't know how to lighten it up, but I'm sure if you did a search you could find out....sorry, I'm not much help. Good Luck.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 27, 2006

Could you put a glaze on top?

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2006

I did a search , but it wasn't real specific...what I got from it was possibly rubbing it with mineral spirits, but I don't know if that means while it's still "wet" or if it can be done afterwards. It was really easy to do and turned out great, just my fault for making it too dark...this is the first time I've done it. Frizz, try it on something sometime. It's fun! I bought a kit and there were all kinds of colors.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2006

Daisy, what were you doing up at 2:10 a.m.???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 27, 2006

I have been sick and went to bed really early. Unfortunately, I slept for several hours and then was up for the rest of the night!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2006

I see! I was on one of my potty breaks about that time! No sleep for me ... all I do is go to the bathroom ... but I drink lots of juice late...my fault. Hope you are better...so many are sick now.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 27, 2006

LOL I know that feeling. Yeah, lots of respiratory things going around here. I had 1/2 hour at lunch and the next period off so I ran to the doctor and got meds. I hope they work quickly ....