Distance Job Searching

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Wisconsin Mark, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

Jun 20, 2009

I know that there have been a number of threads that touch on this topic, and I have contributed to some of them. But I thought it might be worth a shot to try to create a centralized thread for those of us who are applying for jobs out-of-state, or at least at a distance, to share our stories and ideas.

I'm in Wisconsin, where I was recently laid off from a corporate education position. My discipline is secondary English (I've also taught history and social studies). My BA is in American Studies from Yale; my MAT is from Boston University.

I've got current high school and middle school English certifications or statements of eligibility in North Carolina, Texas, and Florida. I've also been looking at Arizona and Nevada, and I'm in the Teacher Candidate Pool for the New Orleans Recovery School District.

Right now, I seem to be getting more nibbles from Arizona than anywhere else. Texas districts seem to be hiring, but they also seem to be getting hundreds or thousands of applicants for each open position; I haven't figured out how to get their attention in Texas. Recruiting seems to be largely on hold throughout North Carolina and Florida.

I apply for positions through state websites, regional websites, district websites, Teachers-Teachers.com, and the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) website. I also look at the Education America and Top School Jobs websites to learn about openings.

The NAIS schools are a mystery to me, by the way. My credentials would seem to align well with private schools, and the NAIS online application procedure is slick and well-designed -- but even though I've applied to 25 schools through NAIS, I have yet to get much reaction from any of them. I'm at 99 applications altogether this year.

What's you distance job search story? Have you had any success yet? Keep the thread alive.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

Have you tried looking into charter schools, Mark?

4. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

Jun 20, 2009

Yes, as I learn about them. Most of the schools in the New Orleans Recovery School District are charters, for example, and since I got into the Teacher Candidate Pool (which took some doing!), I've been contacting all of those that have relevant openings.

A lot of charters seem to go through Teachers-Teachers.com. As I've written in other threads, I love TT's process; and the only call-backs I've gotten so far have been from applications I've made through TT (which is also where I was recruited to apply to New Orleans). I therefore assume that when districts advertise on TT, they are serious about generating applications. I've had the exact opposite experience with Texas ISD websites: endless repeated work for no return.

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

Good luck on the New Orleans thing. When I lived in Louisiana about a year ago, they were heavy on recruiting in that area. I am guessing the only reason you haven't been getting a lot of calls is due to how qualified you are! Have you ever looked into becoming National Board Certified? I wish I knew where the teaching jobs are right now. I just got hired about 2 weeks ago and I had been searching for 10 months. Keep up with those charters, because they are a good bet for jobs around here.

6. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jun 20, 2009

Woo! Yes, distance searching is very much my problem. I'm looking for a French position and I've got a BA in French and Education, an MA in French and Linguistics (with Second-Language Aquisition studies). I've got certification in Georgia (where I'm from) in both French and ESOL.

I've got over 60 apps around the country and have only heard back from 14 of them. 13 no's. One phone interview that turned into an interview that they cancelled and turned into a no randomly. The rest are all AWOL.

I am definitely willing to move pretty much anywhere and apply for certification in any state but I'm not willing to pay the thousands of dollars it would be to get certification from the some 30-odd states that I've applied in.

Unlike you, though, Mark, I haven't heard anything back from the T-T website. Or most anyone. I feel like being in Florida (where I just finished my Masters) and having certification in only one state is probably not helping. But I have to apply where there are the jobs..... Oi.

7. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

I don't know much about looking for jobs in public schools since they would never even consider me without a license but I can tell you how I went about searching for jobs at private/independent schools including some charters. I try to use websites or methods that people don't normally use because I know if I were to use careerbuilder.com or monster.com (you get the drift), there would probably be tons of people vying for the same positions since that is where people normally look when they are job hunting. That doesn't mean that I don't use them though but I think I would have a better chance if the job wasn't advertised so much. Since I don't really have a preference as to which state I will teach in, I basically do a search in just about every state. Craigslist is a good source and I go looking state by state. I will only apply if there is a link to the website or the name of the school so I can check it out because if there isn't, it might be spam. I also do a search of private schools and choose the ones that have the grade levels that I want to teach and have a decent class size since I figure those would have more jobs and better pay. I check out the school's websites and see if they have any positions open. You might think all of this would take a long time but it really doesn't once you get the hang of it and know exactly what to look for. I'm also signed up with an agency that will send out applications to all these different schools at absolutely no cost to me since the schools pay for them. Hope this will be of some use to you.

8. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

Jun 20, 2009

Keep at it! There are far fewer highly qualified French teachers out there than English/Language Arts teachers; I think there must be a perfect position for you. I would encourage you to register at the NAIS website and check their postings; French is taught at almost every private school, and in most cases there will be no certification issues -- they will just want to know you have that Master's degree. (I just checked -- there are four active French listings, although one is part-time.)

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 20, 2009

I did a long distance job search and got one in NC - and yes the budget is still up in the air so very little hiring is going on in the state at all plus many counties have pink slipped teachers here so it's a tough situation here right now.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2009

I have been looking in NM, Colorado, and around the state of Texas. My interviews came from N. Texas in the rural areas of Dallas. Also a couple towns by the coast both upper and lower parts of the Texas coast. Anytime I put in for NM I pretty much either got a phone call or an email. I did some interviewing as well by phone. The job I was offered last week came from West Texas. Now keep this in mind, I did not apply to schools that didn't pay enough for my family pretty much anything below 33,000 and tried to stick with the high paying rural eareas. They don't pay as much as the big city's but it was enough. My suggestion to you guys out there is if you are willing to move to Texas then look in the smaller towns that pay well. The bigger cities are filled with teacher applicants. Also email principals, talk to HR people. Good luck!

11. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

This is excellent advice which I will follow up on this week. I have been neglecting New Mexico and rural Texas.

12. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

Very helpful advice, thanks! I wouldn't have thought of Craigslist.

13. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

Congratulations on being hired! North Carolina does seem very tough right now.