Distance between LTS and first job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by John Lee, Apr 6, 2012.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 6, 2012

For any who have ever served as a long-term substitute: How long after you completed your assignment, was it before you found your own opportunity?

I'm specifically curious in knowing if it directly led to something (i.e. within the same district)? Just wondering how valuable that type of work is, besides the obvious experience.

3. TXteacher7822

TXteacher7822 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm a long term sub right now and am wanting to also know what kind of opportunities (if any) will open because of it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2012

We have a student teacher at my school this year who was a LTS last year. Provided that she passes all her coursework, I'm confident that she'll be offered a full-time, permanent position at my school next year.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

The long term subbing on my resume opened up the door for my current full-time position.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2012

I had two long-term sub jobs. The first was from the beginning of April until the end of June. The day after school ended, I was hired for a 9-month (October until June) LTS at the same school. The VP at that school recommended me for a permanent, contract position which began the September after my second LTS ended.

7. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Apr 7, 2012

My current lts position has led to a full time position for next year. I think all lts positions are great opportunities because you can show how well you interact with other teachers, parents and students. Actions speak louder than words!

8. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 7, 2012

I hung around at my present school, doing various LTS jobs in various disciplines for over two years, until they hired me here as a full-time English teacher. Early on, I took my name off the sub lists at other schools in the area to concentrate on making myself available for work here. I told anyone who would listen, including the principal, that and why I wanted to work here. I've now been here as a full-time teacher for over twenty years, and it has been everything I hoped it would be.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2012

I know of three full time teachers in my district who transitioned to their positions after LTS for a year.