Dissection!!!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by kalper07, Aug 18, 2008.

1. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

OK so I might be nuts, but I am thinking of doing a dissection with my fifth graders this year! Right now I am thinking earthworms, but I need to do some more research...
    Anyone have experience/stories to share?

Thanks!

3. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

One of my co-teachers has a background in marine bioloty and dissects squid with our 5th graders. They did a great job with this last year, so I think she is planning to do it again this year!

4. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

We contact our state conservation and they actually send free owl pellets for the students to dissect. We have over 140 students. There are sites on the internet that let you dissect them too. We usually do this before the "real" event. The students separate out bones and try to figure out what the owl ate. They love it!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

My teacher did owl pellets in 6th grade and I ran from the room and threw up.

I would not suggest forcing them- let some opt out if they choose to. If my teacher had made it an option, there would not have been puke down the hall :lol:

6. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I am a biology major and even I am not sure about the idea of dissecting an owl's feces???? Is it just me, but that sounds like a bad idea.. yuck

*sorry for the strong reaction lol

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

Usually the owl pellets are a good start - they are dry and there is not as much mess. We have done this with our 3rd grade glasses and kept some plastic gloves on hand because that was the biggest complaint, touching them, but they thought it was the greatest thing, finding all of those little bones and trying to find out what the owl had eaten. Any other dissection is kind of iffy - I know in our District in the upper grades a special letter has to be sent to the parents in case there are some reasons the parents or the child do not want to participate, and then the school has to offer a "virtual dissection". I don't know if in all the years I have been in my District a parent has actually done this, but I am sure it was prompted from just one parent complaining.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Owl pellets are not feces! They are what owls regurgitate because their stomach's cannot digest bones and such. Dissecting owl pellets are a great way to learn about the food chain, because you can learn what the owl has eaten.

5th graders should be able to handle this type of dissection, if nothing else. Don't give them a choice, this is an excellent learning experience. They are at an age to learn there are some things that they just have to do.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2008

Starfish would be cool.

I never dissected until high school (a pig). That is quite a dreadful experience of mine. However, I liked dissecting in marine biology, though the sharks weren't the best to dissect, either. For fifth graders, I'd start very small!

10. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I student taught in third grade, and we did a squid dissection.

11. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 24, 2008

Cow hearts in 4th grade when I was teaching the human body unit in Science. They loved them!

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

I do owl pellets with my 4th graders and they love them! Our 5th grade does frogs (pretty heavy stuff for 5th graders, but they love it!) We also have some who do earthworms and crawfish. It can be a great learning tool.

13. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Aug 25, 2008

I apologize for my misunderstanding of what exactly owl pellets were! How embarrasing.. :blush:well anyway sounds kind of cool... :) I am sure I would have liked that in 4th grade.. I wasn't even afraid of spiders back then!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

That's ok, MrsNikki. Every year I have to assure my kids and parents that we aren't disecting owl poop. That's the automatic assumption! :)

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 25, 2008

I would love to do something like that with the kids. I think the younger you start stuff that might be really yucky the better--- by the time they're in high school they usually hate touching "dead animals" and "cutting them up". Alot can be learned and can easily tied back to the human body as well :)