Disruptive Student

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by KCTeacher, Apr 9, 2008.

1. KCTeacher

KCTeacher Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

I have a student in one of my classes (which I'm sure many people can relate) that is so disruptive! It doesn't matter where she sits or who she sits next to, she's horrible! I'm spoken to her parents on the phone AND in person and nothing has changed. She's been in trouble with the dean and nothing has changed. She's the same way in all of her classes because I've spoken to her other teachers about her. The problem is that she disrupts the entire class. Everyone loses concentration, including me! I couldn't have her sitting next to anyone because their grades were being affected by her so today I changed everyones seats and she is sitting by herself. Of course the "alone desk" is right next to a computer and in less than 30 seconds she had her hand on the mouse! She isn't a bad kid, she's just disruptive and needs attention. She basically just talks, sings, makes noises, has outburts, etc. Any suggestions?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 9, 2008

Do you have a guidence counselor you could refer her too? Maybe they can refer her for testing for learning/attention issues. Word of advice though...DON"T make this suggestion directly to the parent. You walk a fine line and could get in trouble for "diagnosing" a child.

4. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

That was my first thought as well. Talk to the special ed teachers as well and see if she has an IEP or 504 that for whatever reason has not made it's way over to you. Sometimes just keeping her by herself will do the trick especially if you move the mouse to a spot she can't reach.

5. teach888

teach888 Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

Please HELP - Sorry if I've written in the wrong section. I'm a first year GRAD student in ESL teaching. I would like a teacher to explaing what the following means: "...discuss any contextual factors which need to be considered with regard to the immediate context or the target context" - what does this mean?? I'm doing a lesson plan assignment and this was one of the questions. Please help with this. Thank you.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2008

This needs to be in a separate thread.

7. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 12, 2008

I know this sounds..maybe bad..but is there a way to "ignore" her and maybe she'll stop. Take the attention away from her and continue to what you are doing. If she's touching the mouse and not destroying it-is she quiet?
    I had one student right after I started, who would go to the electric pencil sharpener whenever I started talking. At first I'd stop and wait for him to get done-well all the attention was on him, kids were laughing they knew what he was doing. He'd dance around while standing there etc..after about 2 days of this-I refused to let it stop me from talking. So I kept right on with the lesson. He stopped feeling the need to sharpen his pencil for 5 minutes.

8. mapmap

mapmap Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

Hi KC Teacher
    For the student with all the needs in the world. Allow the class to create their own set of classroom Yes We can standards to make the class a better place to learn. In such a way that each student can have input as to how the class learning enviroment can be the best for everyone. Let the entire class come up with 10 ways to better the class setting. Then allow a rotating captains for each table and or row which ever you have your kids seating. Before the class ends have the person to grade each kids behavior according to the 10 things . Set a goal that each table should have in order to get a special thing like a mech. pencil, ice cream on Friday. This way you make the class respon. for the entire class behavior. Make the that child the first leader of a group. You will see her take charge of her own behavior and make changes. If you need ideals on prizes for Friday pick apples and fruits and pencils things that do not cost to much.
    Best of luck Mapmap

9. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 30, 2008

I'd remove her. Plain and simple. If she cannot behave in the classroom, she should be in the office, or with a behaviour teacher in a learning lab. She is clearly seeking attention, and she can't get that if she doesn't have an audience. I would set up a pyramid of intervention or a behaviour contract with the student, her parents, yourself and the administration. I've dealt with students like that in the past, for whom the behaviour contract (complete with rewards and consequences) was the key to a successful year.

This year I teach a similar student. She still hasn't been officially tested, but I had her complete a Gates for me. She reads at a around a third grade level and is in Grade eight. Her behaviour was linked to the fact that she simply did not understand the material presented to her.

She's still no angel, but she's much better now that she is on a modified program. Even so, when she is disrupting the learning of her peers, she is down in the office or with our behaviour teacher.

Once a student crosses the line and is disrupting the learning of their classmates they should no longer be in the class.

10. MrL

MrL Companion

May 13, 2008

What grade are we talking about, and how is she disruptive?

11. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

I'd try to make a connection with her sometime in the day before you start class. Maybe that personal attention will be enough to get her through the day.

Did you try teaching from standing close to her desk, saying her name etc? If she is constantly disrupting the class, I would remove her.

I had a student who constantly disrupted the class this year. We have to start a communication log. Mom signed each night. If the student had more then 3 teachers sign it before lunch (or in the afternoon . . . we broke it into 2 easier sections) then he lost a privledge (in this case, it was eating lunch with the rest of the students). It was very effective because he knew that he would lose his audience at lunch if he didn't behave during classtime.

Good luck and stand firm!

12. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I had three students like this in my last period this past year. I tried to isolate each of them in my room, but that wasn't possible. I spoke with parents, tried behavior contracts, and tried parent/student conferences. Finally, I had to send all three to the office. One was removed from my class, and the other two were sent to in-school detention for a week. After that, one quit acting up so much. But I had to deal with the other two every day, so I wrote them up again. I had conferences with both sets of parents. One set was very supportive and their son improved. The other set of parents said I was just picking on their kid. I had trouble with him all year. I wrote him up almost every week. By the end of the year, he was put in the alternative program. That was great because he was out of my classroom and not disrupting the whole class!!!

13. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

exactly - at what point in time has education centered around the good of the 1 as opposed to the good of the remaining 25.

You've gone through all the steps (warnings, preferential seating, talk with parents), now it goes to the admin. If it continues, send her back, again and again. Document everything because admin is eventually going to get upset that they have to deal with the problem. But as long as you have tenure, it's not like they can 'not hire you back' next year for spite.