Disruptive Behavior

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by english9teach, Sep 27, 2010.

1. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

OK... here goes...

Despite my log-in name (I made this account some years ago), I teach English 10. I'm in my 4th year of teaching so I'm not a complete newbie. I have five English 10 classes a day. Four of them are very good classes that I enjoy teaching. Then... there is the one I dread.

This particular class is filled to capacity and is mostly male. Of the boys, there is a group of four that keep trouble stirred. I have moved them away from each other. I have written DMs (discipline marks). I know several of them have received a detention because of their behavior at this point. This seems to make them more determined to be as disruptive as possible. They now have several other students in on it and while I am speaking there is so many little disruptive, rude noises going on that I can barely think and there are so many of them involved that I cannot possibly "catch" them all.

And while all of this is going on, my other students suffer. How do I stop this behavior? :help: I just wonder what I might have done to make them feel like it was OK to so blatantly disrespect me. I feel like a first year teacher again.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2010

Go to the Whole Brain Teaching website, register, and download the Teaching Terrible Teens packet. You might find a solution in there. Good luck!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2010

Maybe try the student/teacher game for no homework for a day or a special treat.
    Or sit them in tables or groups and give points to the group following along and have a special treat for that group.
    Try handing out tickets for the students doing as you ask and then having a monthly drawing or raffle for something large.

5. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

Mrs. K, I read up on the Whole Brain Learning techniques and really liked them. Thanks for the help! :thumb: Now... I just wonder if I start this with ONE class, will the other classes somehow get jealous?

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2010

When you try WBT, let us know how it goes. It may end up solving all your problems. :)

And don't worry about catching all of them when they are being disruptive. Pick one or two and make an example of them. Then do the same thing the next day with a different one or two. Keep going with that until they get it that you aren't going to ignore them or allow them continue with the behaviors.

What is the next step in your school's discipline plan after detention?