Disrespectful/talkative group!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LindsayRose, Jan 12, 2010.

1. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

Hi everyone! I teach 5th grade and this is my first year ! :eek: I believe I am doing a great job for my first year and get compliments from my coworkers :) yay me.

I have a great group of 18 kids. They are smart and for the most part hardworking. I have although been dealing with many disrespectful, talkative kids ever since I would say about November (once the comfort level set in I'm sure.) The boys are the WORST. I have students who still call out, interrupt, say things like "wait" when they have a question instead of raising their hand or heaven forbid saying excuse me..... or "lets do it this way" or "but you said", they have criticized me more than once about my cursive handwriting (which is FINE by the way) "you didn't dot your i, or why are those words connected" etc. i have students who talk to whoever, whenever, and need constant reminders. I have one student who walks around the room whenever he wants and thinks he can do as he pleases. UGH! :unsure:

I am sick up to my eyeballs with the lack of respect. I know they get it from their parents, since it is somewhat of a ritzy area. I have had numerous talks with them about respecting adults, thinking before speaking, etc. I have even had private conversations with naughty children. :mad:

Any other advice would be great! I need to get it through their heads that these behaviors are unacceptable! :thanks:

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

Look into Whole Brain Teaching. Check here and click on the Big Seven.

4. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

I have always wondered about the concept of whole brain teaching and if it is something I could do. It seems like a lot of work to remember and do constantly! I would love to try it although I am wondering if this is something I can start midway through the year, or if I should just suck it up and attempt this next year with a fresh class and a fresh start!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 13, 2010

Start it as soon as possible, it's not too late. Be sure and watch the videos.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 13, 2010

Whole brain teaching is awesome and will solve some of your issues. It is not that hard, just implement one or two steps a week and you will internalize the teaching and it will come naturally. - You will be ahead of the game for next year!

If it is any comfort, I have been dealing with the same issues. Since Thanksgiving, our schedule has been hectic, then Christmas break, and when they started back to school it was as if they had never been here before!

I had to really crack down on the blurting out and not raising hands. Sometimes I feel like a dead chicken in a shark feed! So if they blurt out I physically turn my body from them and deliberately call on someone with their hand up or walk away and do something else, or compliment someone on their work. YOU HAVE TO IGNORE THEM or you are rewarding the bad behavior - attention for bad behavior is still attention. Good luck! Hope it comforts you to know they are driving me nuts too (but they are so great and I love them so much, I am willing to work it out). These behaviors sound typical and they will drive over you as long as you let them - sorry - the little dickens!