Disrespectful 4/5 yr olds..Please help!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by prekate, Dec 3, 2009.

1. prekate

prekate Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

I have a two kids in class who are very disrespectful. When introducing activities, they say "I dont want to do that" when it's time to go to music, "I hate music , I don't want to go". During read aloud, "I can't see", or "his shoe is touching my leg". After a finger play, one child threw the puppet at me. One boy today deliberately turned his back on me while I was redirecting his behavior. The rest of students are so great, they listen and are respectful. How do change the behaviors of a few to ensure that the rest of the class does not pick up these behaviors. Does snayone have experience with these tyoes of beahviors? How do you handle disrespectful behavior in your classroom?

3. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 4, 2009

When it comes to the children saying that they don't like certain activities I acknowledge their feelings but let them know that the other children do so we need to respect that. I usually tell the kids that everyone likes different things and that is okay. I think that it is possible to set the tone so that everyone can express their opinions in a kind and respectful manner. After all there is nothing wrong with not liking certain activities. We all have opinions.

When it comes to redirecting certain behaviors I tell them my expectations and leave it at that. I do not care if they turn their back on me as long as they are following my direction. Children will attempt to push their boundaries by any means possible. Those behaviors are a power struggle in the works. My feelings are not bruised by a turned shoulder or stuck out tongue. You really have to pick and chose your battles. Some behaviors are not worth trying to correct and by ignoring them they will correct themselves.

When children hit or throw things at me I let them know very clearly that it is unacceptable. I kneel down and look them in the eye with my hands on their shoulders and tell them that they are not to hit, throw, kick, or whatever and I let them know that if they choose to do it again they will take a break or have their parents informed. That usually lets them know I am serious. I would not worry about the other children. As long as they see you being loving and fair they will not copy negative behavior. The kids in my class will often correct their peers without me having to step in at all. If they feel they have a voice and are heard they will speak up and defend themselves and you.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 4, 2009

:agreed::agreed:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2009

You sound like just the type of teacher all parents want their kids to have!

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

"'m sorry you don't like it, but right now it's not a choice" I don't put up with it and if they refuse to participate in the "work" stuff then they miss out on the "fun" stuff. (I make the work stuff fun and when they see the other children having fun and decide they want to I remind them that they said they don't like it. If its a repeat behavior they have to sit out and they can join us next time.--It is definelty a power struggle and an attempt at their level to manipulate me and I won't let them. If you show that it bothers you and upsets you they win. I simply state it matter of fact and that's it. If they have a tantrum so be it. the other children are quick to let them know they don't like the tantrum, and most of it stops relatively quickly within a couple of weeks. Giving in to their tantrum only compounds the problem

7. Ameraly

Ameraly Rookie

Dec 5, 2009

When I taught Preschoolers sometimes I had the same problems. When they didn't want to do something or were being unpolite, I divided them from the group and let them stay next to me so that they weren't backed up. Sometimes I pretended not to see what they were doing so that, by not feeling listened to, they'd stop. I had one child that didn't join in for like 4 months, but at the end of the school year he ended up being way ahead of his class.
    So, I'd suggest you let them understand who is in charge and that they have to listen to you, no matter what. Because if we allow them being unrespectful at this age, they'll grow up into spoiled, rude adults.
    Their parents can do whatever they want back home, but I think once in school, you have to start building conciouness about what to do and when to do it, even if they are very young. At 2/3 you start with basic stuff, but the requests will grow as the kid's growing.
    Hope I helped you ;)

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 6, 2009

I have a FEW of these kids. I (also) don't put up with it. I use the techniques listed above.

I also have one who doesn't speak the language- has NO ELL support at home -parents haven't a CLUE about english (the 4 year old probably speaks the most-and she only knows "no", her name, and parroting what was last said. The other day I was to take her from free choice time to do an art project that ALL the kids loved. She refused. I showed her the project and she still refused. The next step would have been to physically lead her to the art table...but the last time she ended up screaming and punching.

Sorry... I'm only the LTS with a short while left. SHE didn't do the art project...and seriously, I don't think she even realized or cared. She WILL though look at me when these beautiful projects are sent home with her arms out as if to say "why don't *I* get one?" I have tried to relate that she didn't do the project...but it doesn't compute. I don't think we HAVE a Chinese/English Language person on the school staff... but this VERY YOUNG 4 year old doesn't even understand gestures or the very basics of language. She MAY have developmental challenges - but no one knows yet.

You know... she reminds me of a untaught (yet) Helen Keller...and I (unfortuanately) am no Ann Sullivan.