Disrespectful 3's

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by toddteach1, Oct 6, 2006.

1. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

Hey everyone, just wanted to vent a little and see if I could get any usefull advice. I have now been in my classroom of 12 3 yr. olds for about two weeks and boy do I have my work cut out for me if I do say so myself. There hasn't been a consistent teacher in the room for quite a long time and the kids have gone down hill. I know it will take awhile to really get them into a routine but if you can help with with ways to teach them how to respect their classmates, teachers, and classroom material it would greatly be appreciated. Right now i am using simon says for clean up and line up as well as doing an active out door circle time with races around the playground and simon says. They are also having trouble with using the centers in the classroom the right way meaning pretty much everything in the center ends up on the floor and then left. I try to reforce how to play nicely with the toys and before we go outside the kids clean up each area so it isn't left a mess but some days it is just a little caotic and the room doesn't get completely cleaned up. But hey it is a work in progress, right?

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Oct 6, 2006

Absolutely! It sounds like you are doing a fine job. Remember at this time/age, they learn a "ton" when it is modeled. Don't just expect them to know that everything should be picked up... help them, explain, and then have them practice. Practice their use of manners-- they'll love it! My daughter (soon to be 4 in Nov) is a complete sponge right now-- so I can totally relate! She is so fun to be around and introduce to new experiences! Have fun with your little ones-- model, be patient, and provide lots of unique learning opportunities.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 6, 2006

One of Grammy's techniques... she's posted several times for kids who have idfficulty taking care of the materials in the classroom... is that there are only a few things out to play with... a couple of blocks, a car or two, 2 puzzles, etc... the kids are confused about it, and you tell them that when they prove they can take care of the toys, you'll be able to let them play with more of them. (grammy, correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is how it goes)

With my 3's, we ALWAYS talk before we go to centers, etc. about what is and isn't OK with the materials... "Should I see crayons on the floor? How many dinosaurs can you have at one time? Do you take blocks that are in front of someone else?" etc. Doing it in a advance, then reminding them as they're going really helps.

In the mornings and afternoons, we generally have 1-2 items out per table... they can change what's out, but everything on the table has to be put away first. All of the shelves are labeled with words and pictures, so it helps the kids be able to clean up by themselves.

5. Mrs E.

Mrs E. Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

One thing that worked for me was setting a timer for five minutes and every center was to be cleaned back up when the timer went off. For the first little bit we had to run around to every center and get the kids started cleaning up, but before long the kids were able to hear the timer and know to check the center to make sure that all the toys were put away.

Another thing that helped out was putting picture labels on all the cubby's and boxes where the toys went. The kids could easily see where to put things away at. This did not mean that they always got put there, but at least it reduced the anxiety of "what do I do with this" a little. THIS IS VERY TIME CONSUMING. it took us about 10 hours to get it done, both of us working non stop on it.

6. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

Thanks for the ideas they are very helpful. I am still trying to figure out how to do my room because all the centers are basically an open lay out and I cannot really have a few items out at a time. However, the kids are responsible for cleaning up as much as possible and we are stilling working on it. I did have a really good progress report to tell everyone though. I actually had everyone playing quietly at different areas for about a half hour, which has never happened so I was really excited about. All though the day did go down hill from there so I have to keep reminding myself that they are only three. It might work to do what Mrs E. suggested which is to have a short circle time, have an area open, short circle time, another area, etc...