Disposable Plates & Utencils

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2010

Not that I never use my china or metal utensils, but quite often, I use disposable plates & plastic forks, etc. when I eat my meals so I don't have to wash dishes all the time. :)

Do any of you do that?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 1, 2010

We do, but I feel bad about it. It is just so easy! It depends on what we are eating. A lot of times, if it's breakfast or lunch on the weekends, we use paper. Or if we're doing something like sandwiches for dinner.

During my busy season, when I'm coaching, we use paper a lot more. But we do use regular silverware-plastic bothers me.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2010

I wish people didn't. :(

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2010

DH almost always eats with paper plates and plastic utensils, but it's an OCD issue with him. It's nothing to do with convenience or hating to wash dishes. I eat on the "good" china with metal utensils. When we were babysitting last weekend I used paper. I didn't want to risk my china with a 5 year old girl and two 6 year old boys. We have wood floors.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2010

I LOVE dishes- have several sets. I tend not to use disposable plates or utensils. I'm somewhat concerned about health issues associated with styrofoam and prefer the 'civility' of 'real' tableware. I even pack my regular flatware for my school lunch and food in reusable containers- more eco-friendly.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 1, 2010

I don't buy styrafoam anything, just thinking of the environment. I do have some regular paper plates and plastic utensils in case of another hurricane. We had one the year before last and didn't have any hot water to wash with. That's the only time I think I would use them, an emergency situation. I kind of like washing dishes-relaxing.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 1, 2010

We don't use plastic or styrofoam or paper.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2010

I do not use any of that unless I am having a party. It is tempting sometimes but my laziness is not a good enough excuse to create more waste.

Even with a party, we have enough dishes and a big enough dishwasher that we are considering just using real dishes at the next one.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 1, 2010

I never heard of eating from paper plates and using plastic utensils on a daily basis (other than those you get with fast food or during picnics) until my sister moved to Seattle. I couldn't believe how common it was when I moved to Georgia.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 2, 2010

There's an earth day event I may go to that includes an environmental fair w/ info on how to save energy in & around one's home. I also need to switch to paper plates.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2010

I agree. I bring my glass plate and utensil with me to work. Heck, we don't even own any paper plates. I get it for very large parties, but otherwise, it's such a waste. Plus, styrofoam doesn't decompose. I really wish they would do away with them!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2010

I have a package of paper plates down in the basement somewhere, but I'm not sure where--that's how often they get used. My daughter and I do use plastic cutlery for lunches (I got tired of the kitchen utensils always going missing), but we bring them home, wash and reuse them.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 2, 2010

Never. We have a lovely set of dishes and several tupperware meal containers for portable lunches. We also use cloth napkins instead of paper.

15. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 2, 2010

The only time paper plates or plastic utensils come out is picnics. You paid money (or someone else did for your dishes and silverware) so why throw money away when you already have things to use. I actually use my best dinnerware and silver on Sundays. Why let it sit for only special times. Plus, my sons learned how to hold a fork and knife and to cut their food the proper way.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 2, 2010

I admit we use paper plates sometimes. It depends on what we are eating and how much time we have. But my biggest pet peeve is that our school uses them. I have requested that they don't, but I was told it was cheaper to buy them than to hire another worker to do dishes.

17. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 2, 2010

The only thing I use paper/Styrofoam plates for is art projects.

I believe it's wasteful, and have only used those types of plates for the one large party I held in my home.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2010

I figure I'm going to run the dishwasher for the cups anyway, so just fill it up with everything!!! We use paper like someone else said if we have a party or there's more than just our family in the house (we've had fam stay with us from out of town). Other than that we really don't use much of it. I think we still have plastic ware from over 5 yrs ago!!! LOL!!!

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2010

I do not buy paper plates, plastic utensils, or paper towels or napkins. I would like to say that it is purely philosophical reasons but it is more that I am too cheap and these things would add greatly to my food bill and we have gotten used to not having them.

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2010

Only use paperplates once in a while like for Pizza, sandwiches or snacks, but have never used plastic utensils. Most of my paperplates are used to cover something in the microwave so that it doesn't "pop" everywhere.

21. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 2, 2010

We're pretty much like everyone else-regular dishes and utensils everyday, even in my lunch box. Paper for picnics or parties, but never styrofoam. I feel it is one small way that I can help at least alittle environmentally and I also agree--the cost adds up.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2010

If you want to save money on using paper plate to prevent the pops in the microwave, Target sells these plastic covers, they are nice large size, that will go over your food. They work really well, are easy to clean, and you can use them over and over again. :)

23. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 2, 2010

We use our regular dishes for every day meals. I buy paper for school parties and picnics.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 2, 2010

I agree. Life is too short to only use special dinnerware for special occasions. When we use ours it's the good china.

DizneeTeachR, there's only my parents & I, so for us personally, it's too much trouble & waste of water running the dishwasher for just the 3 of us. The only reason we have a built-in-the-counter dishwasher is because the appliance came w/ the house when my parents bought it. They use it for storage. :)

25. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 2, 2010

I had always thought handwashing dishes was the way to go and save on water. Last week I heard that I was incorrect. Found this online:

If you handwash, you're more likely to do several loads a day. Each wash probably doesn't use very much water, but over time the gallons add up to a lot. Your dishwasher, on the other hand, probably only needs to run once or twice a week. Thus, the dishwasher will use less water over time than hand washing will. So unless you only use a few dishes a week, then you're better off letting your dishwasher do your dirty work.

So even if you have 2 or 3 people in the family the dishwasher is the way to go if you're looking to save on water consumption.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2010

When all 4 of us are home, I usually need to run the dishwasher every 2 to 2 1/2 days. When Alex is at university and not living at home, it runs every 3-4 days.

27. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 2, 2010

I have similar anti-styro issues........I was wondering when you pack your lunch in "reusable containers" do you use plastic? Or do you have glass dishes for this?

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 2, 2010

Yeah...I'll admit I do it at times. Especially when the old dishwasher is on the blink.

BUT... I AM a recycling fiend! I recycle the paper plates and cups...and with the plastic silverware, I either wash them and use them again, or they get rinsed off and put in recycling too.

It's throwing out what COULD be recycled that aches me.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2010

McKenna...I'm the same way about recycling.

Mrs. C that's about how often we use our dishwasher. Every couple of days on a normal basis.

Janlee I can see how handwashing would use more. I wash the pots & I try to be good about turning off the water, but sometimes it gets left on a little more than it should!!!

Ms. I, I have fam that's by themselves & they run the dishwasher...not real often during the week, but they use it.

30. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2010

I must admit to using paper plates daily. Not for dinner but if the kids used china plates at lunch and snacks after school I would have to wash dishes to be able to use them for dinner which is too much work! I do a load a day in the dishwasher and it is always full. I don't want to do a half load or wash them by hand before dinner and I don't have room to store more plates so mea cupla - I do. I only use plastic cutlery in lunches because the kids don't always bring it back - ugh! I do rewash it, however. I am a huge recycler, always wash full loads of laundry, have a water wise garden - sorry but on this I am not perfect.

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 2, 2010

Oh, no. We use real dishes and cutlery. At school I have a class set of recyclable/reusable plastic dishes, enough for potlucks. I bring my lunch in glass containers. I hate looking in a trash can and seeing plates, forks, etc, waiting for the landfill.

32. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2010

The real stuff. When the "outlaws" come over they ask about using paper plates, etc., for the holiday stuff. :DI don't listen to them anyway, so the real stuff is used.
    Rebel1

33. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 3, 2010

OH, how this bugs me!

And I understand SOME facilities find it too much of a bother to recycle....or that people throw garbage and filled cans into the recycling bins - and it's a mess. But it ACHES me to see this.

In those cases...if I can...I will take my recyclible things home with me and put them into MY recycle bin.

I don't know .... it's almost ... a spiritual commitment I have (sounds strange by true). I feel SUCH guilt when I don't recycle what I KNOW can be recycled. i feel like I need to apologize.

((I know, I know. I sound like a total loon. I am NOT the Ed Begley type...but there is something about deliberately doing an unhealthy thing that... i can't do with out real remorse.))

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2010

I wish the curb side recyclables gave us bigger containers... We have more in our recycle bins than in our garbage. Our recyclables get picked up once a month!!!! Luckily in the next town they have the big bins, so if we get too much we take it there!!!

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2010

Our recycle bin is picked up weekly, as is our organic waste. Regular garbage pickup is now every 2 weeks and the amount we are able to put out has been reduced. By diverting recyclables and organic waste, we rarely have more than one bag of garbage every 2 weeks.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2010

That would be GREAT!!!! I try to throw the "organic" stuff outside behind our house!!! We use the juicer & I throw the skins out there. I really want to get a compost barrel or something to make my own compost, but not have to deal with too much stink!!! LOL!!!

37. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 3, 2010

My town now has a person who will choose an area on garbage day. (not when recyclables go out) He opens up cans and bags to see whether or not the home is recycling. If he finds items that should be recycled he marks the cans and bags so they aren't picked up. The family is given a warning. If they are found to not be recycling again they are fined $250.

38. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 3, 2010

Rarely - I am going to be washing the dishes for cooking/serving, what is a few plates? I do use them once in a while for lunch if I am home and eating something that doesn't have to be cooked, but more often than not, I use regular plates anyway. We never use plastic utensils unless it is a party.