Disposable digital cameras-one time use cameras

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by BethMI, Aug 1, 2009.

1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

I had a brainstorm, and I need disposable cameras for school. I haven't bought these in years and have some questions. I tried looking online but got overwhelmed, and decided to ask people who may know!

First, how much do disposable digital cameras run? How many pix can you take, and is it good quality?

Next, one time use cameras with film, you can get prints (obviously!), but can you get a CD with the prints to then put on your computer? I want to be able to attach the pix to our school website, e-mail them to parents, etc.

I am looking for the most economical and best quality, any info you have is greatly appreciated!!! :thanks::)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Thanks Aliceacc!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

Beth,

As Alice said, they tend to run about $3 a piece, but the big expense is in getting them developed.

No -- you cannot get them on cd. You must individually scan each and every picture with a scanner and then burn them to a cd. It takes forever and you lose some picture quality.

The other negative is that if the child forgets to use the flash (it is manual, unlike a digital camera) then every picture on the entire roll could be too dark to use. Be aware -- not all disposable cameras have flashes on them-- they are more expensive if they do -- so read carefully.

You also have to teach children how to wind them between each picture, and they will still forget and swear the camera is "broken" because it won't click. They have to do it a lot to get the hang of it.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

7. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Actually you can get them on a CD at Walgreens..I hae done it several times :)

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Yikes, $8.49?!?!?! Good grief, that's a lot! Thanks for the links, Rainstorm.

I was actually going to have the teachers use them. I am the Student Council Advisor at my school and we plan spirit days. For the last 4 years I have spent my specials, lunch and recess running around trying not to interrupt learning too much taking pix. I thought this year I would get disposable cameras for each of the spirit days and have the teachers take pix when they could and pass the camera around. I will have to look into the cheapy digital one. Good news is the $ is from my SC fund, but still, I don't want to use it up on pix and cameras!!
    Thanks, Teach, I will check into Walgreens' prices.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

Beth,
    I have my school parents purchase them at the beginning of the school year. I keep them in my cabinet and when I need one, I use until I am done. Then, I hand them back to the parent and have them print the pictures and get a CD as well.
    At the end of the school year, I give each student a photo album of their fun-filled year. Everyone loves them and they don't mind at all.
    The pictures come out beautifully, depending on the person taking the photo...keep sun behind you, etc...common sense stuff.

I've seen multi-paks of the cameras (3); hopefully you can find something like that. Too bad you can't have each teacher print just one little ole camera. Remind them to get a CD done at the time they drop off the camera.

Been doing this for years now.