Disposable Cameras

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 30, 2008.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2008

I found disposable cameras on sale at our grocery store (buy one get one free). I'm looking for ideas for a project my kids could do with them. I've done ones in the month of November where the kids each take a turn taking the camera home and take pictures of 3 things they are thankful for and then put them all together with writing about it. I just can't think of anything that would tie in with units for the rest of winter and spring.

Any ideas?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 30, 2008

Have them take pictures of each other working in the classroom, outside on the playground, or field trip and do a photo essay/journal.

4. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 30, 2008

I found one-time-use digital cameras at our local drug store, and my second graders are going to interview a parent or grandparent about when they were kids. They will write a short paper to compare and contrast their own childhood with their adult's childhood and accompany their writing with pictures.

As for your students, KinderCowGirl, all I can say is, "Wow! kinders with disposable cameras! Awesome!"

5. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 30, 2008

How about pictures from home of shapes or numbers of items? How about pictures of the science (nature) outside their windows?

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 30, 2008

Where are they buy one get one?

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

Disposable cameras are part of our Supply list :D

I use them constantly...have the parents develop the pics & return. Then, at the end of the year, each student gets a nice photo album.

I love how you're using them in your studies!

Winter...Does it snow where you live? Maybe each student could take a "snowy" picture of something outside and write about it.

Spring...ahhh...they could take pictures of the first signs of spring...use during Science.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

Our local grocery store has the special several times a year.
    I know WalGreens has some great photo specials as well; I'm thinking I've seen disposable camera sales there as well.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

These are fantastic ideas!
    You can also do a theme with the "Alphabet" Assign each student a letter...for example, John has to take a picture with something that begins with an "A", Sarah has to find something with a "B", etc...Then you can make a large poster of your picture findings!
    Just don't forget to write down who found what - I'm sure the kids will remember tho; you might want to add that to the poster.
    I also love that you have your Kinder kids doing this.
    :thumb:

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for your responses guys! Great ideas! I may need to go pick up some more cameras ;). They were at HEB Grocery here, I don't know if that's a chain found in other states or not.

I was talking to friend whose child goes to a magnet school for the arts. They took a picture of something that inspired them and then depicted it in different ways - the photograph, a collage, painting, then wrote about it. I thought that was a cool idea as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas! :)