Displaying Work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 18, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

I was hanging work on the bulletin board today and a teacher made a comment to me that made me think.

Do you (especially those of you who teach primary grades) hang up every students' work?

I do. I think it's really important for them to see their work valued. Right now our kiddos are using invented spelling, their handwriting is atrocious and they don't write on the lines, but I still feel like the fact that they are writing should be celebrated.

Just curious as to what others do?

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 18, 2014

I only hang up like 8 students work. What I do is give each student an index card. I have each student choose one piece of work that they are especially proud of. I then have them right a short paragraph explaining why they are proud of their work, what makes it special compared to past work.

I then choose 8 student's work and hang it up for the month.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2014

For most things, I always hung up everyone's work. Even in 5th grade. With large items (posters, mobiles, etc...), I would rotate them.

While in 5th, I had a hallway BB that was pretty small. I usually put my best picks on it, and everything else surrounding the BB.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2014

I have a "high quality work" board. I don't hang up everyone's work for the same assignment, but I do try to make sure that everyone gets something up there throughout the year, if that makes sense. Since my work for them is so differentiated, they all should have a chance to make it "high quality" for whatever level they are at. It's a big deal to get something hung up on the board. My kids get really excited about it!

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

It depends on what it is. Personally, I value all work. However, I know that I am being judged by admin on what goes up, and so to look like a "good" teacher, I only put up perfect work. If I have a student who struggles, I try to showcase their work when they turn in a quality product.

That, plus right now I just don't have the time to put up more than a few of anything.

7. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 18, 2014

Typically, I only hang papers that are 80 - 100%, but I do make exceptions. For example, if there is a child who tries their best each time and earns a 70 - 79%, I will sometimes post their paper. I think every child should have an opportunity to see their work on the board, but I do not post every paper because I also want getting on the board to be something special/to aspire to.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

I don't hang up everyone's work on every bulletin board, but everyone's work is hung up. We have an outside bulletin board, ss work, science work, reading, writing, math, plenty of opportunity to have their work up. Having your work on the outside bulletin board is a big deal so I'm careful that each month I pick different students and everyone gets a turn. I also have pictures of students working on each bulletin board.

9. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 20, 2014

I really like what you have to say here. I'll never forget a middle school history teacher who had a high quality work board. She always hung up the same people's work over and over again. :confused: Not exactly motivating.

As for my class, I hang up everyone's BUT I have a really small group. It would look bad to admin if I just hung up a few. With a bigger group, I would probably do what waterfall does (sorry to be a thief!). :thanks:

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 20, 2014

I always display a class set. I don't think it's appropriate to only display a few pieces of work in early childhood. I have displayed different things, but it was still one thing from each student.