Displaying Student Work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pashtun, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

Does anyone having any links that talk about the effects of displaying students work on a class bulletin board?

Is their any research on its effectiveness to learning, self confidence, classroom culture..etc?

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

Try

effectiveteachingstrategies.blogspot.com/.../displaying-student-work.html‎

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

That link doesn't work, loomis...can you make it hypertext?

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 23, 2013

I doubt there is any true research out there.

I've had administrators tell me how much nicer it would be if I had student work displayed. I've asked the kids and they say they don't care if their stuff is up.They'd personally rather take it home, show it to their parents and then toss it.

I have about this.much wall space available. I would have to rotate out sudent work because nothing will ever fit. I've honestly thought about creating a group project/poster and putting up those pieces and just keeping them up for the semester.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

I don't know about research. I do like to display student work throughout the year. I only put up work that meets whatever criteria (basically A-level work). As I am extremely limited in wall space, I usually select a couple of samples from each class. My students usually love seeing their work up on the wall, especially when they hear other students comment about how nice/creative/whatever it is. I think it can be a good motivator for students about what kind of effort they need to put into their finished product. Some students half-ass their way through they work and then seem surprised when they earn a low grade--but when they see the work of their peers, they seem to understand that the difference in their products explains the difference in their grades.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

So many elementary teachers seem to do this and parents seem to like it. I have the same feelings towards it that you do. I have tried it in the past and I did not see any real benefits. Students didn't seem to care, didn't improve the learning environment..etc.

I have a parent that wants to "do up" the room this year, which is ok (sort of) I just don't want a bunch of nonsense on my walls.I thought I would revisit this idea and see if teachers here have any research or strong feeling about putting up students work.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 23, 2013

We get Thursday folders.

Every Thursday, before stocking their folders (which go home), I have the students choose their "best work". They then store this in a hanging folder (that remains in class).

At Open House (in May), they set that folder on their desk... as a fourth-grade portfolio.

Parents like that the students take ownership. :)

9. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 23, 2013

I feel very strongly about displaying student work. The classroom is a shared place and students feel a stronger sense of ownership when their work is displayed. They really do care. When I display work after a student has been absent they are always quick to notice that they missed out and theirs is not displayed.

Student work on display also shows anyone who walks into our classroom what we are currently learning.

Why is a parent decorating your classroom? You should not need to back your decisions - set up your classroom in a way that works for you and your students and reflects your beliefs about learning.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2013

We are required to display student work. I have a small room, so I use my kiddos' lockers as display space! I have purchased the little Command clips that hold a single piece of paper, and each child has one item displayed at all times - I rotate them so the display stays fresh.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

Absolutely the room will be set up to my liking. I don't put up borders and such. I usually just put up classroom mission statement, scholarly behaviors, anchor type charts.

The parent wants to "spruce it up" add color and a theme. The actual content will be what I want.

The process of letting a parent make a theme has made me think about student work. As I have said, many many teachers do this, I have tried it. I found it not very useful. I just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone had any research based data for or against it. I have looked a bit and found nothing.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

Are you amenable to the parent 'sprucing up' your space?:unsure:

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 23, 2013

I would be a little insulted if a parent wanted to 'spruce up' my space. Did you ask this parent to help you? I feel like the parent is a little out of line. What does your principal think?

15. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

I am also required to display student work. I don't mind at all. The students are so proud to be selected, and some even work harder with the goal of making the board.

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

Most parents in elementary school love rooms all "dolled up" borders, colors, themes..etc.

I am much more functional. I put up a class mission statement, large tree map of scholarly behaviors, and anchor charts. I refer to these consistently throughout the year, students use them through out the year. It is observable that these "things" are used by the students.

I am not insulted at all, this is a common reaction, parents and teachers typically "doll up" the rooms. I am one of the few who does not. Honestly, I am looking forward to seeing if it improves the classroom environment and learning. I will control the "content" the parent can spruce it up. No content will go up that I don't think will improve the learning....none.

17. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

So it is limited to only a number of students? Not one piece from each student?

What criteria do you use to determine whose goes up?

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

For those of you mandated to do it, has admin backed it up with any research or "evidence"?

19. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

I'm not required, but even my high school students get a kick out being on the board. It became quite the source of (good-natured) competition in one of my classes this year. Some of the students had this whole "secret bribery scam" to get try to get their work up.

I've always been amused at how much HS students still love the same things as ES students.... stickers, erasers, etc.

20. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

Great idea, especially allowing students to choose. When students (or adults) feel they are part of the process there is usually more enthusiasm. This is inline with the link I referenced earlier. It shows student transparent hanging "frames" in which students choose and insert work on a rotating bases. I think they were in hallway?

21. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

Yes, I have a board that will only hold 10 papers. I change them out weekly when Friday folders are sent home. I usually have 15-18 students.

My selection process is rather unscientific. After all papers from the week have been passed back, I ask the students to volunteer if they have work they would like to display. (I state the first week that I am only looking for "A" work here, after that it is kind of an unspoken rule). First, I choose students who were not up on the board the week before if they volunteer. Also if there is a child who I know has been working hard that volunteers, I make sure to choose them as well.

22. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 23, 2013

Regarding "Sprucing up":

One of the biggest complaints I read about on different "mommy" boards I am on is how crowded and overdone classrooms are. There is just too much stuff and too many colors. They're generally not talking about student work but instead the posters and decorations.

I've actually had two ADHD students tell me they appreciate how plain my room is because it helps them stay focused.

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

Personally, I could not agree more. At our school the overwhelming majority "spruce up" to the max. I am willing to give it a go and see if it helps...hence I decided to reevaluate my thoughts on putting up student work.

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

It is part of my school's culture to have lots of student work displayed. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. Last year I had almost no bulletin board space. I had a writing board where each student had a piece of writing displayed at all times. I had another big board with student work, and then the rest was put up on cabinets and the wall. I don't feel it looked cluttered at all. The kids ABSOLUTELY cared. They always were very excited when I told them a project was going up on the wall, and they'd excitedly run to find theirs when I put them up. I really agree that it gives them ownership of the classroom. I am not one for putting up lots of store bought posters or themey type decorations. I do use borders, headings, etc.

So I don't have research, but I do have my own anecdotal evidence.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Parents typically don't 'doll up' classrooms. It's not their place. This is overstepping on the part of this parent, and truthfully by allowing it, you could be opening the door to other unsolicited parent 'input' regarding your class.:2cents:
    It's one thing if you asked or help or accepted a volunteer's help, but this seems to be something you don't want.

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

Parents typically like dolled up classrooms. Parents are very involved in our school and I am in no way offended by this. I understand if you would be insulted, I however have no problem with a parent who wants to come in and put borders around my content. As I have said before, I am using it to reassess my thoughts on "dolling up" classrooms and hanging student work.

Parents can give input all they want, if you have read any of my posts, I think it is pretty clear I will not do anything that I am not ok with. I don't give homework, I don't hang premade common core standard signs which are way too small and not worded in the most useful ways, I don't do things that I don't find effective.

However, the real question is, is their any research for or against hanging student work and "dolling up" classrooms in regards to the learning environment?

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

28. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

That link did not work for me.

And it does have a negative connotation to me.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Just worked for me?:huh:
    It's a review of research....look at the aesthetics section.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Didn't work for me either, cza :(

31. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

That link doesn't work for me, either. Just a page of gobblygook text, characters. etc.

32. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

It worked with internet explorer. Thank you for the link.
    Google chrome...failed.
    Google chrome 234 internet explorer 1

33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

It works for me and I'm on an iPhone.

34. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

35. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

Crud. I was hoping to see actual research, not someone's ppt on the overall findings. I tried to find the original paper (written in 1980) but couldn't. I wish I still had access to the research databases from college. I'll try to see if my daughter can bring it up. Oftentimes these so-called research papers do not have any scientific basis so I am not going to put much faith in the presentation until I can review the methodology first.

36. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I don't have any research, but I do put up quality work from special projects. The kids do not seem to care if their work is on display or not.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Aesthetics is included in this research.
    http://web.uvic.ca/psyc/gifford/pdf...d professors A lens model approach (2001).pdf
    I found it on a very quick search using a few of the researchers names cited in the ppt link I originally found. There's plenty more available online that you can easily find....have fun researching and reading!:thumb:

38. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the link. A quick look shows me that the study is basically a poll of opinions. I'll look around more, but if you come across anything quantitative that links performance with classroom decorations, I'd love to see it.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Im done searching. I don't need convincing.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

I don't feel the need to (for my own benefit) read research findings on the topic of "dolled up" classrooms. My students have expressed many times over the years how much they appreciate my clean, attractive, comfy room. I enjoy working in such an environment. That's enough confirmation for me. A fourth grade classroom void of any "extras" whatsoever seems so cold, sterile, and uninviting. One can have an attractive, "dolled up" space without it being overwhelming...just "by the way".

As for student work, I don't seek any research for this either. My students' responses tell me what I need to know. I don't display only the best pieces, but people can do what works for them, of course.

41. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

I put up all kinds of work. If I a child gets an F and then gets a C on the next assignment, I'll hang it up. I am trying to reward effort and perseverance. I don't really care about being THE best...just YOUR best.

I do cluster student work together...usually in weird corners where anchor charts don't fit. I like the idea of the hanging portfolio.