Displaying monthly birthdays with sacks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Jun 13, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

I ran across an idea awhile back about displaying monthly birthday's using gift sacks for each month. I can't find the details of that idea anymore and would like to create it for my K classroom. Anyone know the details?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2009

I found a link about that too a while ago. I didn't have the wall space, so I bought one cute birthday bag and then decorated monthly birthday cards for the month around the bag. Here is a pic. [​IMG]
    Inside the bag, I kept the rest of their birthday cards and lollipops inside.As the month went on, I would pull of the birthday kids card and we would sing happy birthday. This BB also helped me a lot because I'm really bad at remembering birthdays.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2009

That's cute, Peach!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 13, 2009

Great idea!

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 13, 2009

Peach, that's a great idea! I'm awful about remembering birthdays! This type of thing would definitely help and would add something about the students to the classroom decor! :)

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 13, 2009

I'm terrible about remembering birthdays, too. This is a great idea!!!! The kids could go up and get their own birthday treat and their card/certificate. TOO COOL!!!!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2009

Yes, this is what I used when I taught fifth grade and they liked it. They SO could not wait for the day to get their birthday card. All month they would wait for it!! Too cute! :D

9. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jun 14, 2009

I would get in trouble with the candy, but what other (besides pencil) present do you all think that they would really, really look forward to getting?

I am going to do this idea, too cute!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2009

You could do a 'free homework pass' or book mark...

11. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 14, 2009

How many 5th graders did you have? I currently will have around 80. If you had that many, how did you keep up with it all? I have always wanted to do something like that.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2009

I had 30. I would just find out what months their birthdays are, write them on the cards, separate the cards into months, and when that month comes up, throw the cards up on the wall. I'm sure it won't be too bad since you are going on a month to month basis. I only put the birthday cards up for that month, so the number varied from 1 card up to one month was like 14 cards being up on the wall!

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

Vanna Pre-K has it on her site. I know she got the idea from another website as well. I just did my own version 2 days ago. How odd!!!!
    http://www.pre-kpages.com/circle_time.html
    scroll down about half-way you will see her bags.

I think it is a terrific job.

14. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 14, 2009

THAT'S IT! BLESS YOU!!!

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

no problem. I still think that is super weird that I stumbled across that idea a couple days ago and began making my own.

It is a great idea. I've been wanting to do something different. I usually make a graph with my birthdays, but the district I am moving to doesn't like the big birthday board taking up valuable space, so this is a more discreet ways and still make it special.

I love the idea to "pre-make" birthday certs with a small gift attached. That will make celebrating birthdays quicker and less hassle. Birthdays are such an important even for kids that I think they really should be celebrated if by nothing more than giving them the cert/gift and singing a song.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 14, 2009

This is amazing! What a great idea. I am definitely doing this next year.

17. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2009

That is too cute!
    And Peachy...I love your Birthday BB too!
    :thumb:

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

I agree and love the idea to have the cards in the corresponding bag. i will slip my birthday pencils or trinket in there as well - at the beginning of the year.

One of the things I found that was a pain about birthdays was forgetting at the last moment and having to rush around to get the child his/her card/gift, etc. This is something I can do at the begininng of the year and not have to give much thought afterward.

This will also be easy with kids that move in after the year starts as well.

I think I will get tongue depressors and put their names birthdays on - then let them design them.

20. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

Here's the link where you can find the information about the b-day bags and the picture
    [​IMG]. I also was not keen on taking up a whole wall or bulletin board with this so I just hung them above our whiteboard in a straight line so they didn't take up valuable space.

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

yeah that is a FABULOUS idea vanna.
    I so appreciate your website.

22. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 17, 2009

I once did a display using seasonal gift bags, 12 - one for each month. I stuffed them w/ tissue paper and used a seasonal cut-out from our Ellison letter machine w/ the students' names/b'days for that month on the front. I used to have a picture, but it was prior to keeping my pix on the computer. I do remember having the tissue paper and confetti-like streamers coming out of the bag. You could do this on a smaller version like the one above and keep the b'day treats/cards right inside.