Displaying Goals in Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherGreen, Jul 31, 2011.

1. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Hi! I'd appreciate some input bc I'm stumped when it comes to the lack of space in my tiny mobile. Our principal requires that we display student-made goals in our classroom (so that she can SEE them when she walks in...can't be in their notebooks or anything). Since we departmentalized, I'll be teaching all of 3rd grade literacy. That's approx. 60 students. They're required to have a reading AND writing goal. So that's a total of 120 goals. I have no idea where to put these things because all of the wall space is taken, and there's not enough room on 2 closet doors. The sheets are about half a sheet of paper bc they're required to list the steps they're going to take to reach that goal. The only idea I have is this:

I've already planned to turn their desks over to avoid drama with students sharing desks when the AM and PM class switch. The back part of the desk is magnetic. I thought I could get 2 diff colored magnets (one for AM and one for PM) and have students hang their goals from the clip on magnets. But I'm worried that they will play w/ the cips on their desks/break them, wrinkle their papers terribly bc the magnetic portion of their desks can only be right in front of them. :dizzy:. I'm not fond of tape bc they play w/ it. Any other suggestions?

Thank you so much!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

Could you laminate the half sheets of paper and have them write on them with dry erase or overhead pens?

Maybe purchase two pocket charts and the pocket chart frame. Then you would only need to hang 60 and could just turn the frame around for your PM class.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

Instead of the pocket chart frame...I buy the rolling drying racks to hang clothes on from Wal-Mart. They only cost about 10 bucks or less and work just as well. I use shower curtain hooks to hang my pocket charts. Hope this helps!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

I like this idea. I find it a bit of overkill for you to have to post 120 goals... are those supposed to be the objectives you are working on each day? I write them in student-friendly language (I can statements) each day and go over them with the kiddos....

6. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

sI'm going into my room tomorrow, so I'll see if there's room for a pocket chart. I really like the idea of turning it around for the PM class. I like the thought of dry erase markers (thought about it), but I don't want it to wear off because they're supposed to (by school standards) carry their goal around w/ them as they write/read to try to achieve it.

7. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Yeah, it IS overkill :/. It's the not I can statements that are the ones that I'm referring to...just student-made reading and writing goals.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

wow. Is this for all grades? I can see my first graders losing them, accidentally throwing them away, gluing them to something, eating them, ... lol.

9. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Will they have writing or reading folders or journals? Maybe they could post their goals on the front of their folders or journals? You could attach them with those clips you clip on to something and then fold the little clasp down. I can't think of what they are called. Those clips would make it easy to change the goals. Plus, the folder or journal would be out on their desk and could travel with them back to their other class.

10. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

The clips are called binder clips. I had to google it because it was driving me crazy!

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

If you have to post the goals, I like the idea of only posting a class at a time and flipping them.

I like posting class goals in the classroom, but I think personal goals should be in a binder or folder. I wouldn't want the low kids to have to advertise that they are trying to make it to a 1st or 2nd grade reading level while others are much higher. I don't know how open to suggestions your principal is, but has anyone ever brought this privacy issue up with her?

12. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Yes, it's for ALL grades! K included.

13. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

No one has asked if the goals can be kept privately because she was very adament with DISPLAYING them. I think I'm going to check out a pocket chart so I could switch it for the PM class, too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!