Disney's EARTH for a field trip?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LakeSophie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

A fellow teacher has proposed to the principal that we should take grades 1-4 to go see Disney's new movie EARTH. I've not seen it, but a relative went (she's in her 60's) and left 35 minutes in because it was "gruesome". She hated it. Although there was no blood, she says that they imply the gory stuff.

I've found a few reviews of the movie, but none that help me figure out if I should back this going to see it.
    one is:http://greenwoman.typepad.com/biggreenpurse/2009/04/disneys-earth-movie-is-breathtaking-but-misses-an-opportunity-to-educate.html

another is:http://www.examiner.com/x-608-Early-Childhood-Parenting-Examiner~y2009m4d23-Mom--tot-review-Disneys-Earth-includes-video

For the movie's website, see here: http://www.disneynature.com

Disney is marketing it as a great educational movie, but I'm unsure. Opinions? I don't have the $9 to spend to see it myself without some guidance first. :thanks:

3. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Apr 28, 2009

Our 3rd grade is going this week...
    I haven't seen it to know how it is though.

4. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Apr 28, 2009

My AP went last week with her 2nd grade son. She recommended it for 4th grade and up.

6. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I went last weekend and left with 45 minutes.

7. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

OOO how very helpful. I'll print that off for the other teachers to see. That website makes me rather leery of taking my 1st graders.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 28, 2009

I am having my kids go for extra credit. Some of them have said that it is violent, these are the ones that have trouble seeing violence. 40% of the movie is from Planet Earth series so they were prepared. I would not take anyone below 4th grade

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 28, 2009

Our whole school is going (that's not as many kids as it sounds; we're tiny).

10. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

Upsadaisy.. if we went, the whole school would be going too.. except the preschoolers..

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 28, 2009

I am a firm believer in not taking students to any film that I haven't personally previewed, start to finish, first. Years ago, a colleague of mine selected a movie to show to our grade level. It was a "kid's movie" and she said her sons (same age range) had loved it.

While we were showing it, the principal and a member of the school board stopped by. Just as they left, there was a string of profanity in this children's movie!!!!!!! I was shocked and mortified, even though the "higher-ups" hadn't heard, my kids had!!!!!!!

Now I realize we are an inner-city school, and our kids have certainly heard worse, but they aren't going to hear it from me!!!

When I talked to my colleague later, she said "I forgot it had that in it!" She was embarrassed, but basically laughed it off.

Since then, I've never trusted anyone else's judgement other than my own -- especially when, in the end, I'm the one who is responsible.

(Obviously if your school arranges it, you aren't responsible.. but I'd still be very leary...)

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2009

13. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I took 6th graders this week. I only thought a few moments where kind of questionable... My students understood it, but younger ones may be upset.
    One is a large cat catching something taking it down and biting its neck - no blood. One is a group of lions taking down an elephant - no actual blood or dead elephant just lions attacking. One was a polar bear dying (looks like its falling asleep) because it has not eaten. Once was a moose or caribou being taken down by a large cat - not bitten no blod, they cut before that.

My kids loved it and did the activities associated with it. There were much younger kids at the theater as well.

14. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Apr 28, 2009

I'm a big wimp and this would make me cry....

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 29, 2009

I had trouble watching some of the parts. I have not seen the movies but I have seen the violent parts that are in it, via Planet Earth. I could not watch the caribou and wolf part:( Or the elephant that gets lost from his mother.

16. breneem

breneem Rookie

Apr 29, 2009

We went last week, 5th grade, and the predator/prey parts were pretty sad (I covered my eyes)! I did not enjoy those parts, but it was a very beautiful movie aside...

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2009

An entire school in our district, over 450 kids, went to see it the other day. All grades went. I didn't hear any complaints about it from any of the staff or parents that went.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 29, 2009

I brought up some of the concerns at our meeting today and kindergarten decided not to go. Thanks for the links to the reviews and the opinions. I'm looking forward to it.

19. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

Our Kindergarten & 1st grade classes have opted not to go biased on our discussion here. We're looking into scheduling another field trip for the same day as to not "disappoint". Trains are looking like the popular choice :)