Disneyland Paris

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2011

If I have a few days only to spend in Paris, would you recommend that I spend one of those days at Disneyland? We are going in August, next year.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

I wanted to go when I was there and I was told it really isn't that great. So we skipped it. I would say if you only have a few days and you are going next year, I would skip it.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2011

NO, NO, NO! I just went to Paris in May and there is so much that is better to do! We went from early morning to late at night and spent 5 days there. We still didn't see everything we could have! And we didn't even step foot in one museum! Enjoy Paris, it's amazing!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Although I've never been to Paris, but I love amusement parks, I think that w/ the limited days you have, I'm sure there are much better things to do. At least w/ amusement parks, you can always go to one in your home state.

6. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

In my last trip there, we stayed at a hotel that was one of the Disneyland Paris ones. It's actually about an hour outside of Paris, so keep that in mind if you go. My mom, I, and two of our older travelers opted to go to Disneyland instead of going to Notre Dame one morning (we had already been, my feet were killing me, etc.) It was fun, we shopped at the Disney store, ate at Planet Hollywood, but didn't ride anything. However, if you've never been to Paris, there is so much to do besides Disneyland! PM me or leave a message if you want some ideas of what to do.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

You guys know how big a Disney fan I am.

But I wouldn't spend my limited time in France at Disney, particularly if I lived in California, just hours from the original Disneyland.

I would hit Versailles (it's GORGEOUS!!!), all the touristy things in Paris, a Seine cruise, Notre Dame, the shops, Monmartre, the beaches at Normandy, the restaurants, and all the rest of France... there's so much to see that isn't Americana.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

Versailles is fantastic and may I suggest the fat tire bike tour of it? http://fattirebiketours.com/paris/tours/versailles-bike It was absolutely one of my favorite parts of our trip! We also did free walking tours that were guided by native Parisians who spoke perfect English. http://www.discoverwalks.com/paris/ They were fantastic and you learned more about the city from them!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Even just spend a day wandering the neighborhoods-- it's a beautiful city.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

Definitely! We spent a lot of time wandering around Montmartre. It was just fantastic!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Okay, you've guys have convinced me! :) My time is better spent exploring Paris and its surrounding region. What was I thinking? :p

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

Wasn't it great??

You're going to have a blast, Peachy. And Paris is very easy to navigate, even if you don't speak French. Their subway system is a lot like London's-- color coded and easy to follow.

OK, time to admit my secret addiction: travel books. Every time I plan a big trip I OD on travel books. They can be a remarkable resource, and give you something concrete to look at and compare. The Frommers and Fodors series are always great. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...words=paris+guidebook&sprefix=paris+guidebook

Something else I do: I invest in a binder and a bunch of page protectors for each trip. Every time I see something interesting online, I print it up and put it into my binder. It's my own travelogue full of things I'm thinking about seeing or doing, and it comes in incredibly handy.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Montmartre was fantastic! My favorite area though was the Latin Quarter. I just had to check out Shakespeare and Co :p It was unbelievable!

We used Rick Steves and Frommers the most. There's just so much to do and I really fell in love with the city! As Aliceacc said, Paris is extremely easy to navigate. We had no difficulties using the metro. I speak some French but I have a hard time understanding if they have an accent or talk fast so I wasn't a whole lot of help :lol:

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

:eek: I would recommend not wandering too far outside the Montmartre area. There are some bad neighborhoods around that area. I would say spend your time in the city too, just remember the city itself is not a tourist attraction. Make sure you know where you are wandering.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

Good point about doing your homework.

EVERY large city has areas that are dangerous. And, even worse, those who would do you harm don't always respect the "good" and "bad" area labels. Everyone should always know the "safe" parts of anywhere they're traveling to, and take measures to ensure their safety and the safety of their possessions even in those "safe" areas.

Remember, even in your hometown, a "safe" area is simply one in which nothing bad has happened....yet.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Aliceacc, so true! We live in a really good area but there was some construction going on and houses were being broken into. Turns out some members of the construction crew were breaking into the houses! Haven't had any problems since then *knock on wood*