Dismissal routine

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Deeena, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 19, 2006

Can anyone explain what their dismissal routine is like? I am a first year teacher and feel that I do a horrible job with dismissal time. It seems kind of hectic. Just so you know, the last 35 min of the day the kids have free choice centers. We clean up, and then they come sit on the rainbow rug. After that, I pick students who are sitting quietly to come up and get a hug and a sticker for their hw. folder. Once the students get up they take their papers out of their cubby, folder out of the basket, etc. and line up outside. I have a few kids who get out of control (getting off the carpet, play fighting with other kids, touching my things) at the day and I'm wondering what I should do to have a smoother end of the day.

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

I would make those students pull a ticket, move their clip, etc. and change it in their folder right there, even if they had a happy face all day. We have the same problem at dismissal, except we have about a 160 kids in our pod (Pre-k and kinder-they have assigned bus/car rider/and day care lines in the pod). The students think that just because its the end of the day they can go crazy! We have started walking around and changing students folders who are acting up at dismissal. The students need to realize that they need to be following school rules until they are out of the building.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2006

After we clean up from whatever we are doing the students come to the rug. I send them to the coat room to get bookbags and then they go to their tables. They must sit at their table quietly and wait for me to pass out their folders. I always have the folders ready to go (behavior logs complete, items already in it to go home) so the process is very fast. As soon as I give them their folders, they make them "disappear" (I have a classroom full of magicians) into their bookbags.

We have a recess at the end of the day, so we line up to go outside. When we come in from recess, they simply sit back down in their chairs and listen as I call them to line up for busses.

I have taken stickers off behavior logs right at the end of the day, too. Dismissal can be a very confusing time so it is important to me to keep it as calm as possible.

5. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

I have the same end-of-day, Deeena...choice centers for 20 minutes, then I ring the clean-up bells....the students FREEZE...I tell them to "clean up, and get your things, sit down at your table and open your homework folder..." (this time gets a bit loud, but it only lasts a few minutes.) I position myself by the cubbies to make sure no one is fooling around. They fold their hands in their lap and wait for me to pass-out papers to go home. No one is permitted to get up...backpacks and lunchboxes are not allowed on the table (too crowded and it looks overwhelming in front of them). When I'm finished passing papers, they close their folder, pack it up, and stay in their seat. I call "quiet tables" first to line up... It's not perfect, but maybe a few ideas can come from it!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2006

We have a small class so it isn't really all that fair to compare. After our students copy their homeworkin their log, that's when we have them take their stuff (including anything we have to give them) in their backpack. That way when it is time to go, their backpack is ready, zipped and they can take off. It still gets a little hectic cuz we have bathroom time, etc but we line them up for that and then, we go to the gym and drop them off for pp/bus, and other kids we drop off for afterschool care.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2006

I call quiet students to get their red folder and to go pack up. Sometimes we make it a game. Let's see if we can pack up with no talking. If we can do that, I'll put a fuzzy ball in the jar. So far we haven't been able to do that, but most of my kids really want that fuzz ball, so it's helped. Also, I give hand stamps at the end of the day. If they haven't pack up quietly, then no stamp. My stamps are pretty cool too! they come from Japan and are the cutest stamps ever (I went stamp gaga and bought over $100 dollars worth:eek: )! Also, I have flavored ink, so they really want that hand stamp. I only have a few go and pack up, about 5, then I send the next bunch. Also, they sit in a line by the door, rather than stand. I came up with that idea when I had troubled sleeping and it really works!

8. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Flavored ink! How cool!
    I've tried the "sitting line" too- especially if we are outside waiting for pick-ups! It cuts down on "wanderers" and seems to limit chatting.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2006

Exactly, that was my problem and it was stressing me out!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2006

Althought, let me add that today, my kids started singing the "THE" song while sitting in their line. It was cute at first, then they drove me crazy because they got too loud. Kids!

11. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 21, 2006

Peachy-- two questions:

1. Where do you get flavored ink? That sounds so cool.
    2. What is the "the" song?

12. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 21, 2006

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! It's tough being a new teacher and I appreciate your tips. I am going to use some of these ideas starting Monday. Hopefully the last part of my day will run a little better from now on. Thanks :)

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

I have a CD that has a lot of the high frequency words put into common song tunes. The "the" song goes:
    T-H-E
    T-H-E
    I can spell the
    T-H-E
    and then you repeat this part. I don't know what the tune is. When I get back to my class on Monday, I'll tell you the name of the cd. It's highly reccommended!!
    The flavored ink can be purchased at an educational store. I got mine through our school supply company, Southwest. It costs about $3.50 though and it's about the same, I think, if you get it at a education store. I'm trying to think if I've seen flovored ink anywhere else???? Michaels, Wal-Mart, Target, hmmmmm....

But it really works to calm them down and for them to pack up quickly and quietly. Also a great incentive for them to not move their name. If they move their name from the happy frog to the uh-oh or crying frog, then they do not get a hand stamp. I have some kids who get VERY upset. All I can say is, maybe tomorrow if you behave. Today, I had one girl get so upset that she couldn't get a hand stamp that she hit her mom when she came to pick her up. She through a huge fit!! Hope she'll learn. Ahhhh, the power of the flavored ink!

14. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Peachyness- AWESOME song for T-H-E....:) Sounds like a great CD!
    I know what you mean about the singing....anyone ever done the "Tootie Tah"????? Once they learn that, buy earplugs! :)

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

Heh, yeah. Today I taught my kids this A-E-I-O-U song that goes to the tune of Bingo, and they kept singing it throughout the day. I got the song stuck in my head for a while.

16. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

Dismissal is a pretty hectic time for me too! After cleaning up for centers I call quietly for students who are watching me to get their agendas (homework/daily behavior log/ etc.). After getting their agendas they go straight for their book bags and straight back to their desks to put away anything that needs to go home. The agendas are all ready with my notes/stamps for good day, etc. After everything is ready the quietest table stacks their chairs first and meets me on the carpet for the closing story/thought (since this is my first year, I have just started this closing circle and it just started really working today!) We then line up from the carpet in order of busses. This seems to be the loudest part of my day. I have to remember that the kids still need to move their cards if the act up. It seems I'm more lenient (sp???) because I'm so worn out!

Any other good ideas for dismissal?

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2006

Could you please tell me the entire lyrics to that song? Thanks!:)

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

Happy Birthday!!
    Here's the song for the vowel song. The tune is Bingo.
    I can name the vowels for you
    and you can say them too, ooh.
    A-E-I-O-U
    A-E-I-O-U
    A-E-I-O-U
    And you can say them too, ooh!

We sang the song a few times, then I would turn one card over, and we would clap the missing vowel, just like in the song, BINGO. What surprised me is that my kids never sang or heard of Bingo!

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

Thanks Peachy!!! I will have to use this one! :)

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

It's funny, as soon as I pull out my vowel cards, my kids start chanting AEIOU. That song really does help them memorize the vowels. I also challanged them to give me a word that doesn't have a vowel. This really helped them to understand how important vowels are.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

My goodness, I just realized that I hijacked this thread. So sorry!!!!!

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

I love it! They learn things so much faster when they are put to song!

23. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 26, 2006

I don't teach K but I teach first and second grades. We have a clean up song that as soon as the kids hear it, they start cleaning up. I tell them a number of items to pick up off the floor and while some are doing that, others are packing their bags and folders. Then, they switch. That way the floor gets cleaned up in the process. Sometimes, I have a "Mystery Item" on the floor that the kids pick up. Whoever gets it, gets a prize. Then, we all meet on the floor for a story and a goodbye song. We listen to "Goodnight Irene" and when the song is over, so is the day. It really helps to calm them down at the end of the day.

As for those little lovelies who get rowdy during the clean up song, I just turn it off until they can be calm. Once they are, I turn it back on again. I've only had to do this a couple of times.