Disheartened- final reading scores

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Kippers, May 20, 2014.

1. Kippers

Kippers Companion

May 20, 2014

We do Read 180/System 44 in my grade 4/5 mild/moderate classroom. My students do the Scholastic Reading Inventory test three times a year- and the test levels itself on the computer based on student response.

I am pretty heartsick. Of my 18 students, only 6 showed any improvement. Of those, only two showed substantial improvement. Three showed significant loss. The majority stayed at zero- which is basically beginning reader.

I have 15 who can read with some degree of fluency. Five are close to grade level.

Some of it may be lack of motivation/quickly giving up to finish the test as fast as possible. My instructional assistant gave the test to two to three students at a time- they were required to read everything themselves, but she was there to tell them to slow down and take it seriously. I gave a fairly significant bribe- showing them the packs of movie candy available if their scores went up even one point.

The test was given with fidelity. I'm learning some students are being read the test at other school sites in identical programs, and of course, their scores are significantly higher.

All the same, I MUST be doing something lousy. I'd love input. I give no less than 2.5 hours of direct reading instruction a day in multiple forms. I'm concerned I'm giving too much, and not allowing students to think for themselves.

Reading levels in my class measure between pre-K (my very lowest) and mid-third (my very highest) based on other assessments.

What do you think? I'm glad for suggestions. These scores make me look and feel like a lousy teacher, even with the extreme range of disabilities and skills in my room.

The students who lost points have major emotional issues and I could not build incentive in them.

3. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 25, 2014

I don't have any advice except as a first year teacher at a new school district for me I feel the same way when I see their scores.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 25, 2014

We started Read 180 at our school this year and our results were through the roof. I'm going to show our lead teacher this post and ask her for advice.

She starts the program each morning at 8am-we start school at 8:40. Students are with her until 10am, when they then join our classrooms. They get a 'double dose' of ELA while in our classrooms during the day.

Next year, she and I will be team teaching. Right now, she has fourth and fifth graders from all the different classrooms. Next year, I will have all the fifth grade Read 180 students (as well as all the intervention students) and a fourth grade teacher will have all the fourth grade Read 180/intervention students. That way our Read 180/spec ed teacher can push into our rooms during the day and provide extra support to the students on top of the Read 180 time.

Anyways, I'll ask her what advice she has for actual implementation of the program/motivation of our students! I know she had devoted herself '180%' to the program this year, so she'll have some good ideas.

5. Kippers

Kippers Companion

May 25, 2014

I appreciate this. I'm giving the test with fidelity- so my students must read it themselves. They are used to tests being read aloud to them. My children are all SDC/LH and many are identified ID, but we should still be seeing far more progress. I do see significant improvement in individualized fluency progress- it's the online test that is absolutely tanking.