Dish Network OR DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2010

I know we've had a cable TV thread in the past. I'm planning to change companies & want to know which is better of these two. (I have Charter Communications now.)

For those who have one of these, have you had much trouble?
    Did the guy who came out install it easily?
    Has a guy had to come out to fix anything?
    Is the picture clarity good or is it distorted at times?

Any info you can give would be appreciated!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

We switched from Dish Network to Direct TV. My husband seems to be more satisfied but he pretty much bases his opinion on sports coverage...all those "amazing" packages and such. I dislike Direct TV because there is an insane delay when switching channels, bringing up the guide, pressing channel numbers, etc. It kills me!

As to your questions:

Dish
    Did the guy who came out install it easily? Yes.
    Has a guy had to come out to fix anything? No.
    Is the picture clarity good? Yes, but the quality of television is important here, as is the number of channels in HD.

Direct
    Did the guy who came out install it easily? Yes.
    Has a guy had to come out to fix anything? Yes...it had just nearly flooded when he installed it, so the installation sank a bit and needed to be adjusted and secured.
    Is the picture clarity good? Yes, but see above. :)

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 7, 2010

Had Dish before we switched to FIOS, it was excellent until the neighbor's tree grew and blocked the line of sight of the dish to the satellite, making it so we had no TV

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

We had DirecTV, but it got up to $200 a month!!! A big cost was the football. Then my husband added another package on and tried to take it off-and they wouldn't let us take it off. So we cancelled instead. Now we have Dish Network. We can't record as many things at once on the tivo, but I like it. It was only around $60 a month starting out for a package with everything.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

We have Dish mainly because we can get local channels with Dist. I still don't think you can get local channels with Direct. This was the total basis of our decision for Dish so I really can't compare.

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

I have local channels with Direct TV. Where I used to live, though, I didn't get local channels because a tree blocked the view of that satellite. I did get the regular "cable" channels, though.

Direct TV is so much better than Comcast! I love their DVR because it has so much space and because it organizes your shows into groups. There are also many more HD channels with Direct TV. Picture quality is great, but the weather is also usually great in CA. When I lived somewhere with actual winters, sometimes the signal would drop during storms.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

We have direct tv and I love it. No complaints, and they guy that came out to hook it up was great, too! And we get locals.

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

Had Dish. Then went to Direct.
    Dish had issues with the kids' programming (egads live without SpongeBob? Seriously????? Mooooooooooooooooooom!) so we switched.
    Direct TV has been great for us. Also the MLB package was an awesome choice for our family. Don't have the channel issues of another poster.
    Either one, you may lose your satellite during heavy (think FL afternoon summer) rains. It doesn't usually last too long, but can be annoying. Both lose the signal equally. Also, the growing tree thing happened to us as well.
    Dish was fine on installation, not repair, but I think it was a local vendor that Dish used. Direct was fine on installation, customer service, but not needed repair. Also after hurricanes, they were faster at fixing everything than they had previously announced. Initially, we thought we needed the whole dish reset, but it turned out they were able to reset it without a service guy (who, by the way, still called us on the appt day just to be certain all was well.)

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

We had Dish for years and went back to cable. We got tired of it going out every time there was a rainstorm. I cannot tell you about installation or repair because my husband does not allow repairmen at our house--he has to do everything himself. I would never get satellite TV again because it went out so much.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2010

Thanks guys for your info! Well, I just signed up w/ DirecTV, so the guy's coming out next Wed to install it. Not that I disliked Charter Communications, but I hope I like DirecTV even better. I'm glad I have the Tennis Channel now! :D

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

We can't get cable where I live, but I was perfectly happy with Comcast with the exception of one ridiculous incident...but there is more for my husband through satellite. Hope it works out! :)

13. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I have Direct.
    For those who have one of these, have you had much trouble? No trouble except when it storms really bad and then we lose it for awhile.
    Did the guy who came out install it easily? Yes, except the first time he came out he couldn't install it because I didn't have my landlord sign a sheet saying they could put the dish up.
    Has a guy had to come out to fix anything? Nope.
    Is the picture clarity good or is it distorted at times? It's always good.

14. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

We have Dish and love it. We had DirecTV for a couple of hours, but when it went out about 10 minutes after it was installed and the person who installed it told the person on the phone that he couldn't come back because he was more than 45 minutes away, we knew it wasn't for us. DirecTV went out with even the most minor rains, Dish doesn't go out unless we have some pretty nasty weather.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 7, 2010

One thing I loved about Dish Network - all of the local channels it had, it had west coast local channels even though i'm on the east coast

16. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

We've had Dish for 10 years and I wouldn't change...it is especially easy when moving!! Take your stuff, leave the satellite, and they come install again!

I love the HD quality, DVR, selection of channels, etc.

It's been good for us!

17. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

Dish TV has been good for us too!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2010

Oh dear! :( Now I'm starting to get concerned w/ how it will be when it rains & we do get very strong winds from time to time! I don't want anyone going up on the roof to install anything. They said they could bring a tripod & install it out back somewhere.

I've had Charter Communications for the entire 21 yrs I've been lilving in this area. I hope I'm not making a mistake changing.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

It will be spotty during average rains.

When it is raining sheets, you lose satellite signal.

Same with heavy snowfall.

Make sure you don't have a lot of trees/foliage out back, or else they will not be able to install it, I believe that it has to face the western sky, depending on which satellite they have the dish focus on

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2010

We only lose coverage during the most intense storms...think tornado warnings.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2010

Oh great, I'm doomed! :mad::( My house is along the side of a park & my entire backyard is lined w/ tall trees. I've been wanting the city to cut them down for yrs becaues I can't get a nice view of the park anymore!

22. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Maybe it won't be that bad...we had a hurrican and didn't even lose a signal with Dish! :lol: Well, not until the electricity went out.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2010

I see. Plus, we get pretty strong winds here from time to time, but it doesn't snow. It rains here & there during winter. Well, I hope it works out.

24. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

Then they'll have to put it on the roof probably.

Don't worry, it isn't that invasive. They drill four small holes in the roof to mount the dish.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 8, 2010

MIL has Dish Network, and it goes out if there is an storm within 100 miles. And if it's windy, forget about it. It really bugs me.

I'm not sure how much cable is there, but her Dish costs more than our cable, and she gets a lot fewer channels.

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 8, 2010

I had Direct. I wanted to upgrade my system. They would not do it even though I had been a customer for over 8 years. I changed to Dish. The day after it was disconnected, they called willing to buy me out of my Dish contract. I was not too nice when I informed them that all they had to do was give me DVR and I would still be with them. But I refuse to allow them to put anymore holes in my roof, so no. They have called 6 times since and sent me three advertisements. To bad they didn't work this hard when I was willing to stay with them.