Disgusting display of bullying.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jun 20, 2012.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/school-bus-monitor-bullying-video/CXPLtiulzEuGhmkEz7Y57g.cspx

10 minutes of the most disgusting, malicious bullying I have ever seen - a group of middle school bullies driving their bus monitor to tears. I really can't understand how kids could be that cruel - if they were mine I would turn them into the police myself. I hope they decide to arrest them, honestly.

Warning - it is painful to watch and they drop the f-bomb along with pretty much any other curse word every other word. I couldn't watch the whole thing.

The good part is this site http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein?c=home is raising money for a vacation for this poor woman.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

I just read about this on a Facebook post from the Superficial (a celebrity news/gossip website). Unbelievable and very, very sad. I just have to wonder what sorts of parents raise kids like this. Awful.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

I don't even know what to say. They better get arrested for this. Like Caesar said, I can't even imagine what kind of parents these kids have.

It seriously blows my mind that some kids think bullying is okay.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

I couldn't watch the whole thing. It's absolutely disgusting and had me in tears.

But the campaign has raised over $18,000 to give her a vacation. I believe the goal was $5,000. I hope she gets to go somewhere beautiful and relaxing.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

In the 30 minutes or so since I first read this story, more than $3,000 has been added to the fundraising effort. It was at about $15,000 a half hour ago, and it's up to $18,000 now. Most of the donations are in the $5-20 range. I sincerely hope that every penny goes to that lady.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

$19,700 now. Craziness!

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

Every time I refresh the donations page, there's another $200, $500, $1,000, etc. It's incredible. Truly wish I had the means to donate right now. I'll probably donate on Saturday when I get paid.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

They have raised almost $5000 for her since I logged on to the site a few minutes ago. She is up to almost $20,000 now.

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2012

I am not a fan of child abuse but I really want to beat these kids senseless...

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

I watched it all.

These students should absolutely, positively not be provided a free, public education in any district whatsoever.

It's so disgusting.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 20, 2012

I would love to hear what the parents had to say-I bet there's some excuse.

And they taped it themselves-for what purpose? So they could laugh at it again later. Just sick. I wonder how many times this has happened before-that poor lady.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

Well, now I've cried twice. Thanks to both the OP and caesar for posting.

I don't know what I would do if I were the parent of these children. So shameful.

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 20, 2012

wow, that was awful! It made me cry :( Karma's a b!tch, and all those children who think they are so "entitled" to degrade someone else that way, will get exactly what they deserve coming to them. I'd be ashamed if I was related to those children in anyway.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

Over 40 K now. Wow. I hope they interview her.

17. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

Me too. I would love to hear from her. I hope she's feeling the love.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

If anyone sees any updates about this, either about what sorts of consequences the students will receive or about when the woman gets all this money, please be sure to post it here. I'm going to be wanting to see what develops on this story.

19. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

The guy who started the fundraiser is trying to use some of it to hire a motivational speaker to go to Karen's school. People who donated are up in arms about it, and I agree with them; it should all go to Karen, and SHE should decide what to do with it.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

Unfortunately it puts Karen in an awkward position as to how to use the money.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

I don't have a problem with that idea, but I don't think he should use a fundraising site like that and then change his mind about what to do with the money, even though she would get way more than he originally anticipated.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

Honestly - and I know most school districts are in dire financial straits right now - but the school district should be the ones to pony up for a motivational speaker. NOT Karen - she was motivational enough in how she conducted herself.

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

Better yet, find someone to come speak for free. Clearly people are touched by this story, so I bet some great anti-bullying speakers would donate their time.

24. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 20, 2012

After a only a minute I could not watch any more.

These kids (thugs/punks) must be made accountable for the corruption and perverting their freedom of speech rights. The community should start with the parents demanding a resolution to this abominable behavior. People only change that sort of behavior if there is a great deal of discomfort associated with the consequences.

How is it that there is a culture that gives the kids the idea that they can treat another person in this manner?

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2012

I was stuck on a school bus like that in middle school. To the best of my memory, we went through five drivers every year (no monitors, so they went straight for the driver who couldn't turn around to react). It was deplorable, even to my tween brain.

Criminal charges need to be filed.

26. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 21, 2012

I wish there was some kind of public punishment these kids would have to do.

Like...
    gather them in a room with all of their favorite sports stars, or actors/actresses, or girlfriends, or grandmothers, and make them watch the video and pause to add commentary about their thinking and motivation every time they speak. Then video it and broadcast it on television. Forget Youtube.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

It's up to over $100,000 now.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

BF and I talked about how we would punish our kids if they were in the video. It involved taking everything out of their rooms except a mattress (maybe), making them work the maximum hours allowed by child laws all summer and giving all the money to this woman or an anti-bullying charity, and going to military school the next year.

On the other hand, while I hope they are punished appropriately by the school and their parents, I also hope that they don't in turn become victims of bullying.

30. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 21, 2012

When a child bullies another child it's very sad. There aren't even words I can come up with for children bullying an adult. I didn't watch the video as it would make me way too angry.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

I don't fear they'll become victims of bullying, but they'll no doubt reap what they sow. There is no way they can behave like this and not face less than pleasant responses. Of course, I also have no doubt based on my teaching experiences that plenty of their peers will tell them it was awesome. Sad.

32. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 21, 2012

It's blowing up all over my facebook wall now. And there's a lot of back-lash. Lots of "Who's the adult here?" and "why didn't she stop it?" Irritates the _____ out of me!
    I cringe to think of the headline if she did stand up for herself and one of those brats showed their parents the video. It'd probably read something like "Bus Monitor Verbally Abuses Students"

33. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 21, 2012

Over $350,000 now.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

Saw it on the Today Show. Matt Lauer interviewed the lady. He said he couldn't say what he was thinking of these kids and then called them like "nasty monsters." He apologized to her on behalf of parents every where...

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

With Anderson Cooper she seemd unphased by the money...she said she didn't figure she'd ever actually see that money. He did inform her, though, that an airline had arranged for a Disney trip for her and eight people and she was clearly shocked and appreciative, saying "That's too much." Man, assuming she gets the money raised, she'll have a heart attack. :)

Something I appreciate is that she's being honest about the boys. She said, basically, one was a "smug" brat. Good. No need to soften the blow of this for the boy.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

I felt bad because she does have hearing aids and it's harder for her to hear...I can't imagine being on a bus with the extra chaos... You know if she did anything back she would've been the bad guy.

37. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

Those kids need a good butt whooping. I hope she gets every last penny of that $500,000. I couldn't watch more than a minute of that video without feeling ill. While I don't think the kids should be getting death threats, I DO think they need to be held accountable. They need to do MORE than just say "sorry". Those parents should be ASHAMED of the little brats they raised.

38. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

The school admin said they could not comment on the discipline of specific students, but said the students would face "strong disciplinary measures". That might sound like typical CYA, but it is standard procedure that schools do not discuss specific discipline measures of received by students.

Karen said the students were usually better behaved than this. These 4 students tend to act out on the bus, but had never taken it to this level before, so it is somewhat comforting to know this was a one-time incident rather than a regular occurrence. She also said the boy who took the video is very nice to her. We don't know if he was going along with the bullying or if he recorded it to make sure the 4 bullies got caught.

For those saying the kids should face criminal charges or go to jail, my question would be "What charges should be filed against them?" Although their behavior was absolutely disgusting, I didn't see any behavior that was actually illegal. The one exception might be the boy who threatened to steal everything from her home, but since he is a juvenile and didn't follow through on the threat, I really don't see much the court could do to him.

As for the school punishment, I stated in the other thread that the 4 boys responsible should be banned from school transportation for the rest of this year and possibly all of next year as well. At the very least, the ban should extend through at least the end of the first grading period of next year, since this school year is almost over.

At least Karen won't have to deal with the 4 little thugs anymore. The update article said she would continue working her as a driver and monitor, but NOT on the same bus these 4 hooligans ride.

Oh, the update also said the owner of the fundraising site said Karen would get ALL of the money raised on her behalf.

39. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

The video is gone now. Has anyone seen an interview with her? What's her attitude about the whole thing?

40. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

There is a short interview with her in the update post by MikeTeachesMath.

If you do a google search of "Karen Klein Today interview", you will get several links to articles, videos and interviews of Karen and her reaction to the incident.

41. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 23, 2012

I saw one yesterday where she said she wanted to sit down with the boys and make sure they knew how hurtful what they did was and that she wanted to know why. She is very touched by the outpouring of letters/e-mails from supporters. She wants them banned from the bus and sports for a year.