Discussing News in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

I am planning on having a discussion maybe weekly on the news that is going on around the world. I want to spend time during the week discussing local, state, world & classroom news with my 2nd graders, but I just don't know how to go about it tactfully. Especially since the injury of the Bills football player because I know it's all on the news, in the newspaper etc. and I know my kids want to talk about it. Not to mention, I think it's important for kids to be aware of current events.I plan to get the newspaper weekly or daily to bring into the classroom, But...........

How do I go about doing this???
    If you do this in your classroom, how do you approach it???

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2007

Our Newsday has a Kidsday section................ actually, I think current events is a great idea, but I can understand your concern.... Second graders study communities right? Could you focus on issues in the smaller community paper.... ? Talk about community helpers and ways that people work together in the local community.

I'm curious too as to what others do.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2007

5. FirstYear

FirstYear Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

I student taught in second grade. We used Time for Kids. We got it once a week and read it as a class. It was a great way to discuss news topics with kids. Some of it went over their heads, but it planted a seed for what is/was going on in the world. I think it is great to start giving young kids an idea of current events.

6. Youngteacher226

Sep 13, 2007

Yes, I have already ordered Scholastic News!!:)So I plan to definately teach into that. But I also want to create a bulletin board where we will post news from our community, the world etc. Something like a running record or something visual of what's happening in the news. My hopes is they will understand it all and be able to do a center activity or something with all this.

Yes, Frizzle, we do study communities which gave me the idea. We also study world cultures, holidays etc. I don't know, I just think my teachers in elementary school didn't really do this and I would love to plant a seed in their heads to be active learners & researchers.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2007

Could you give them some questions to find the answers to about thier community? Don't ask me what.... I haven't gotten that far yet..LOL

Yes, TIME is what I see everyone uses too.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2007

Most larger newspapers have a student section. How appropriate it is for your students, you will have to see. Scholastic news is great! I did my first lessons with it this week!

Sometimes before I had Scholastic News, I would find articles in the paper with big color photos and would hang those up. We would discuss the story, but not read the whole thing. Topics of interest still arise, and I am sure we will use the daily paper even with the scholastic. I plan on looking at the National weather section a bit with the kids and do some predicting/forecasting/geography.

9. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 14, 2007

That's the way I'd start it, just the way you are thinking. When I did it in 5th grade I started by bringing in this huge crab photo that someone had found at the beach. It was in full color. (I taught in Long Beach, California). We all oohed and ahhed about how cool it was and discussed beached animals and keeping oceans clean and stuff. I told them if they found interesting articles in the newspapers or magazines their parents purchased to cut em out and bring them in and we'd share them. I got lots of them that year, just here and there, you know, nothing regular, but all interesting. I had a small bulletin board by the back door where we posted them all. Kids felt really important for finding news of the day for the class and it lent to some good discussions on many topics. I think 2nd grade could do it too.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

I think students should be exposed to news and current events. You're also showing them that the newspaper is another thing to read besides books. My 2nd graders were always talking about something they either saw on the news or something they heard their parents talking about when reading the newspaper.

11. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

Maps101

has daily current events - just two per day - that are brief, but cover the basics of various events from around the world. It is subscription based site, but maybe your school has a subscription.

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2007

YoungTeacher,

If you choose the article/picture and bring it in.. you can limit the discussion...

13. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

I have a very low fourth grade class this year. Is Time for Kids or Scholastic better? If I order TFK, I think it comes for grades 2-3 and 4-6, so it may not be appropriate for my class this year. How is Scholastic presented?

14. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

I attended a workshop several years ago that a woman from New Zealand shared this idea with us. They call it a "News book" Every week a child brings in a news article that they find interesting (Or you can bring the article in). Glue the article onto large construction paper. Then you read the article aloud, paragraph by paragraph and the kids help you summarize it.

After you do that, you take 2 kids comments about the article. "I liked how the man helped the homeless people". When you have enough pages to make it into a book, laminate it and place it in your library area.:)

I also agree using Time for Kids or Scholastic news is a good idea.

15. Youngteacher226

Sep 16, 2007

I love that idea, thanks! I do want the kids to bring in articles from home, only because I don't always get the chance to read the newspaper, but I just have to find a way to censor some news.

I do plan on doing the article review every day before social studies. As like a way to get us thinking about the world & things/places around us. Sort of like how calendar math can be an introduction to your math block. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming!:)