Discrimination... do i have a case?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by anonymousteach123, Mar 5, 2019.

1. anonymousteach123

anonymousteach123 New Member

Mar 5, 2019

I was sent home a day without pay for throwing a book and raising my voice on a student's word. I reported to the administration something that happened to a kid that was harmful. This student gave his report on the teacher of conflict pulling the shirt collar of the student out into the hallway. The student told me that he could not do anything because it was too far back. That was this school year. I had no prior warnings. Do I have a case? I'm getting miserable here.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 5, 2019

I'm having a lot of trouble following your description of the incident(s).

Also, what would make it discrimination?

otterpop likes this.
  4. anonymousteach123

Mar 5, 2019

I threw a book in class, and raised my voice for the kids to get out. The principal came to me and sent me home for the day. The next day I had a meeting, and they told me that I would be sent home next day and be suspended a day without pay without any further warnings. This made me mad, and I had recalled things that have happened in the past where noone was punished. So I filed incident reports about a specific incident involving another teacher pulling a kid out of class by his shirt collar. I know of this incident because the kid told me about it. When asked about this incident, the kid filed the same story of what happened. The administrator told the student who told me as well that they couldn't do anything because it was too far back.
    Favoritism.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2019

I always tell my students that they are the only ones responsible for their own actions; they can't excuse poor choices that they make because others have made those same choices. You are facing the consequences of your actions.

6. anonymousteach123

Mar 5, 2019

Well I admit what i did was wrong, and I apologized to the students. I accept responsibility. Everytime I send a kid to the office, they get sent right back. Detentions don't work because they aren't served by the kids that don't care. Our discipline system is out of whack. We are losing control of the students, and this place is suffering because of it.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2019

No, it doesn't sound like you do. Well, not a legal one, anyway. If you present it will than some might be persuaded that the school should do more to prevent uneven enforcement.

First, you haven't claimed anything that sounds like discrimination -- which in most places in the US would suggest an offense against a member of a particular class such as racial minorities, age, sexual orientation, etc.

Second, punting or a single incident wouldn't help you very much even if you were claiming discriminatory enforcement.

However,I am interested in this, "it was too long ago" claim. How long ago was it? Is it less than a calendar year?

a2z likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2019

I ended my previous post more abruptly than I meant to. I wanted to add that, going forward, it's important to come up with a plan for how you will handle frustrations with students in the future.

The advice I am giving myself, and that I would give to you, is to keep control of my own actions and words and to keep sending those students to the office, keep assigning detentions, and keep making those phone calls home. Even if the behaviour isn't changing or the kids don't seem to be responding, I am doing my job and am preserving (or at least trying to) the learning environment for the rest of the class.

a2z likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 5, 2019

No. There is no discrimination.

If anything, reporting the incident you didn't see, long after it happened, and only because you were upset, is more reason for the administration to question your quality.

Basically you just said that there is something you felt important enough to report, failed to do so when you were notified of physical assault of a student by a teacher, and only chose to report because you were trying to get out of trouble for something you did that was unacceptable.

greendream and futuremathsprof like this.
  10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 5, 2019

So am I the only one here thinking that in my state you'd be lucky to have a job and not have charges pressed against you in a legal matter?

Lemme make sure I have it right: you threw a book in class (with students in the classroom I assume because you yelled at them to get out?); endangered students when you kicked them out of class (assuming it was an early dismissal before the period ended); failed to report an assault on a student, and when you did report it, it was only to attempt to make your own punishment less severe. Does all of that sound about right?

There's no case of discrimination. And I'll refrain from saying the rest of that sentence. My biggest questions would be firstly to you, what steps are you going to take in the future to prevent this situation from happening again? Both from your own behavior and that of your students. But then speaking as someone moving into an admin role, this all sounds like a massive integrity issue. How do you plan to mend and repair your own integrity within the school so that you can be trusted with the care of students?

swansong1, futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  11. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Mar 5, 2019

So if you belong to a union and your employer tried to fire you, you wouldn't have a case for discrimination (because there is nothing discriminatory noted) but you might be able to argue in your defense that the punishment was inconsistent. However, this would only hold true IF your Principal knew of the other incident, was able to investigate that incident and found the other incident to be equally problematic. In your case, it does not sound like those conditions exist.

The "too late" comment has merit in the sense that it may be too late to prove what happened in the other incident. If you saw the incident, your account is no longer credible because you didn't report it in a timely fashion and it looks like you reported it to soften your own consequences so your account basically means zilch at this point. You don't know what the student reported to the P and you don't know the contents of the P's investigation. You also actually don't know what the outcome was because the P isn't going to tell you. Your P may have also made the "too late" comment if they were stunned at your lack of professionalism in asking about the other incident. It is none of your business what happened to another employee and you may have caught your P off guard with your inappropriate comment.

Frankly, it sounds like your P was very reasonable in their response - one day without pay seems very generous. I think you should accept it and move on with plans to manage your stress better. I would not try to argue inconsistency in your case because your P did not fire you - they assigned a reasonable consequence.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 5, 2019

13. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 5, 2019

Oh how I know the feeling! Just count down to the next break!

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2019

15. Educare India

Educare India New Member

Mar 6, 2019

Thank You for the information.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 6, 2019

I don't know about having a case - where I'm at, you wouldn't have a job.

SpecialPreskoo, Upsadaisy and Aces like this.