Discovery/Take Home Bags

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderkate, Apr 7, 2009.

1. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Apr 7, 2009

I am preparing to write a grant to make Take-Home/Discovery Bags. I am a first year teacher and would really like to implement these next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make these bags? Do you go by themes, books, or what? Does anyone know of websites that are helpful and may have samples? What all do you include in these bags and where would I get the activities? Thank you for any and all help! I hope everyone has a great week!!!

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Apr 10, 2009

I LOVED my discovery/literacy bags! I had over 50 bags when I was in the classroom that my kids could take home. I have lots of examples and pictures of my literacy take-home bags on my website for teachers. I have also listed the exact contents of each bag for you there. There are also links there to other websites with more ideas for take-home bags and a note you can download to send to the parents. If you google "literacy bags" you will get lots of hits that way too.

4. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 17, 2009

Hello! I do Discovery Packs, and this year I have 84 of them. They are organized by theme. Each of my packs contains 3-5 stories, 3-5 file folder games, a poem, a song, and a journal. Depending on the theme, they will have additional items as well. For example in my Farm Animals pack, I have a bag of 48 small plastic farms animals and then an activity sheet that gives the family ideas: sort the animals, make patterns with the animals, pick an animal with your eyes closed and then make that animal sound..etc.

The way I got mine together took a lot of organization, but it's well worth it. I started with inventorying all of my books into an excel sheet, listing the title, author, related subjects, and teaching themes. This is essentially how I came to create the various themes -- I used what I already had (most of which I got from EBay in bulk children book lots). For the file folder games, I bought a lifetime membership to My File Folder Games Forever Club. (You can find it at: www.myffgames.com ) The poems I got from various Scholastic books that I bought called Month-to-Month poems. The songs I found mostly on the Internet for each theme -- I tried to find songs that incorporate motions. The Journal prompts I just made up to go with each theme, and the journals are just folders with lined paper in the middle.

Let me know if you need any more information on something specific. I'm more than happy to keep "rambling!" Good Luck!

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

I too want to use these (writing a grant for the purchase of all the materials), but I am setting up for having over 50 students between the two classes next year and I am unsure as to how many to make and how often to send them home. If I send home one bag for each child a week, I would have to make literally hundreds of bags... I must be thinking of this in the wrong way!!!

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2009

I'm planning to do literacy bags next year, too! I have about 30 first graders, and that's a lot of bags to make between now and then! So I'm thinking I might make enough for half my class, and the students get to take home a bag every other week. That would work until I accrued more.

Question - what bags do you use? I've seen canvas totes and the plastic Lakeshore bags used, but I thought about these since they seem like they'd take up less space to store:
    http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302095253~~.jsp

Any thoughts on storage/management?

7. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

May 3, 2009

Hello, Snicky. I use canvas bags & the cheapest I found at the time was from cheaptotes.com. The ones I bought were called "Natural Cotton Canvas Totes (Natural)" and they were 99 cents per bag. My packs are stored in 10"x13" Heavy Duty Envelopes & these fit perfectly into the canvas bags. I fold up the bags when they are not in use & I store the packs in plastic file crates. The kids enjoy flipping through them to find the pack they want for the week.