discourse

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Smalls, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

how do you promote discourse in your math classes? What are some techniques you use? What are some examples of practice and instructional practice?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

What grade level are you working with?

4. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

grade 1

5. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

Our bldg admin. has been on this kick the last year. We have had plenty of staff meetings regarding this and a university prof come in to model but no real training. We were given questions strips to use as we saw fit. The questions are suppose to make it easier to help discourse along but seems so unnatural to me. I don't have them with me but you might want to search for University of Washington's Ruth Balf. I think that's her name. I hope to get some insight into this myself from primary teachers who use math discourse all the time which is what our admin wants but time constraints make it challenging. Good luck!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

Have you ever looked at Marilyn Burns' activities? I find that utilizing a constructivist approach to learning in a classroom- whether teaching math, literacy, other content areas- promotes active learning, deep thinking and discourse around the students' thinking.

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

Math Makes Sense. Its the program pretty much the entire province is using and it has great discussion questions as well as activities to promote student exploration.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

One trick my teaching partner and I used in our classes last year was to "teach two, then send them forth to teach two more."

It was great, because the students would ask (and answer) questions of each other that had much thought in them -- and they helped each other answer those questions!

10. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

I use this a lot... I was trained in "talk moves" last year and am now in charge of training the rest of our staff on it. Some of the big starters are "can you tell me more about that" "does anyone agree or disagree with ______'s answer why" "How do you know" etc. It works and it works well! I have had some of the BEST conversations in my classroom over the last year and my kids have done better academically.