Discouraged

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tcherjen, May 26, 2009.

1. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

May 26, 2009

So I graduated from a small college. Everyone but 2 of us graduated with honors. I am one of the 2. I graduated with a B+ average. I my official GPA is 3.5983. You had to have a 3.65 to grauduate with honors. So I missed it by a bit. All the people I graduated with will be at the same job fair as me. All with their honors on their resume. I feel like I am not going to stand a chance now. Never mind I went back to school when I had a 4 month old spent many a sleepless night taking care of her. My good friend and I are applying to the same districts and she has honors too. Any hope?????????? :(

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 26, 2009

Are you applying near your school? Can you reach out a bit further than everyone else? When interviewing describe the challenges and successes of balancing school and being a parent. Most college grads don't have that experience. Spin yourself positively!!!!

4. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

May 26, 2009

I am trying. Yes we are in a small area. I am settled with family and can not go any farther. I hated to even go to graduation, because of not having the cords at graduation. I stuck out like a sore thumb.

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 26, 2009

I don't think not having honors matters. I did graduate with honors but was always told it didn't really matter. It mattered to me though.

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 26, 2009

3.5 is amazing (and also my college GPA, lol)! Be proud of that! No offense to your school, but if everyone is graduating with that high of marks, what does it say about the rigor of the college? The schools have to know that the college is producing an overabundance of "honors." Put your GPA proudly on your resume and go out and get a job. Show what you know, your personality, your skills, and forget about some ridiculous number!

7. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

May 26, 2009

Thanks guys. I worked hard getting through school with 3 children. Feel like I sacrificed a lot and feel so darn discouraged. I can't help but cry. With all of us together it makes me look the one that didn't do as well. I will let you guys know how it goes. I am trying to stay positive, but it is hard. :) Thank yo so much for the kind words.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 26, 2009

Trust me, honors aren't what's important - it's your personality.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 26, 2009

I think highlighting your skills as a student and a parent will help you get the job you want. It shows you are responsible. Be proud of your grade.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 26, 2009

Most districts don't care if you graduated with honors or not; it's what you make of your experience that counts. Having children of your own will help you to relate to parents and point out anything else that makes you stand out. Good luck!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2009

I graduated with a 2-something. It's so unimportant I've forgotten it. I can't ever remember being asked straight out about my GPA. Or honors. When I met with my first superintendent, I think he asked about something GPA related and I seemed embarrassed and he told me it didn't matter a smidge and we got into a great discussion about alternative learning and assessment and ADHD. I was a science major and took half my college load with pre-med students, but who cares? A degree is a degree is a degree. Most places won't even ask. They may need to see your transcript after you're offered the job just to confirm your classes, but that's after the fact.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 26, 2009

SHUCKS! Don't let others dictate WHAT YOUR LIMITS are.
    Go out there and strut your stuff TJ! IT'S ALL ATTITUDE!

I know it's hard BUT you are raising 3 children and that says a lot about your accomplishments more than you can believe.
    The Honors and High Honors are IN THE PAST, SO LOOK AT THE FUTURE AND SHOW THEM THAT "A DANG COUPLE OF DIGITS SHORT", IS NOT GOING TO STOP YOU FROM IMPROVING AND COMPETING!!!
    YOU GO GIRL and STRUT YOUR STUFF!:D
    Rebel1

13. AMB

AMB Rookie

May 26, 2009

Ditto what everyone else said. I graduated summa cum laude and it took me two years to get the job I'll have next year. I was the only summa in my student teaching class but most people got jobs before I did because they either applied at the right place at the right time when I didn't or they were willing to work places I wasn't.

I don't think it matters! Good luck!

14. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 27, 2009

I don't think GPA matters much either. It's all about how you come across in your interview, and if the principal thinks you would be a good "fit" in his/her school.

15. TechTeach09

TechTeach09 Rookie

May 27, 2009

I totally agree with JEM!

tchrjen - you had 3 kids and kept up that GPA nicely. I only had one and barely finished with a 2.4.. I bring out the positive in that by saying that I never once quit! I delivered the week of finals and completed an exam over maternity leave. 2 weeks later I was in summer school to pick up where I left off. I was also working fulltime once my Ob ok'd me. Perseverance is what any administrator would look at. I don't want to bash anyone on here, but it speaks more than just taking an extended break because one cant handle the three.

I commend you greatly and you shouldnt let that get to you. Good Luck and show them how you shine in your own way.

16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 27, 2009

I just wanted to second, third, and fourth what others have said. A GPA is a number on paper. They won't see that when they interview you. But they will see confidence and experience with children as a parent. You obviously are good at time management and are able to have many different projects happening at the same time. And your GPA is very respectable! I would feel proud to have it!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2009

If you got the education that the GPA speaks to, and if you can use your added knowledge and skills creatively, that's what counts.

18. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 27, 2009

My dad use to tell me...you know what they call a medical student with a c average...Doctor.
    Your GPA may not have been considered honors at your particular school, but it would have everywhere else. Don't let it get you down! You did great!

19. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 27, 2009

Ha ha! So true!

20. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 27, 2009

this is almost exactly the reply i was going to give!

21. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

May 27, 2009

Thanks you guys your the best!! I am going to do my best/be the best at the interviews.

My confidence level improved dramatically today. I was accepted into nursing school. It was a total shock. :)

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

Jen, don't tell this to any of the kids you'll be teaching next year.

But no one cares about those honors. Sure, administrators want their teachers to be smart. And that B+ average means that you qualify as "smart."

They're looking for teachers who can teach, who can relate to kids, who can and will communicate effectively with parents, who will pitch in and do what needs to be done, who will meet deadlines, who will behave professionally and who will be an asset to their school.

None of that is measured by a GPA. None if it is taught in any of the education courses you took.

Make sure your cover letter and resume present you in the best light. Make sure you look professional, from the tips of your toes to your manicure to your hair. Go with a ready smile and a firm handshake and the belief that YOU are the right person for the job. Then convince them that you're right.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

In my district, in northern NJ, the superintendent is interested in GPAs...Keep in mind, our market is ultra-uber-competitive so the screening process of candidates to even get an interview is cut-throat...especially if candidates have limited public school experience. It may mean we don't get to see some potentially awesome teachers who unfortunately had a rough class or two which reflects in their GPA, (they also don't interview anyone with misspellings or grammatical errors in their resume, are selective about schools from which degrees and certifications were received...) but it's a chance the supe is willing to take. I hope you have better luck in the districts to which you apply. I'm sure if you build up a resume of some experience subbing and working with kids in other settings (tutoring, camp, etc), plus some great recommendations, you could overcome a difficult GPA. The best advice is probably to NOT put your GPA on your resume...hopefully they won't ask for it until they've interviewed you and by then maybe you'll have them wanting to hire you so badly that a non-competitive GPA won't be so harmful...

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 28, 2009

You should be proud of what you have accomplished and highlight your strong areas. I never was asked about GPA and IMO a 3.5 is very good.

Congrats on getting accepted in nursing school.