Discouraged....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SarahnVA, Dec 9, 2006.

1. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Dec 9, 2006

I have been having a problem with one of my students. After reading the boards for a few mins I realize that others are having similar problems and I'm not feeling as alone as before.

One of my boys has no previous school experience and is extremely low. I'm not sure if anyone does the PALS assessment, but he only scored a 15 and is still not able to write his name. Not only am I having trouble with him progressing academically, but also behaviorally. He has an extremely short attention span (worse than normal 5 year olds) and is most likely ADHD. He is not able to sit still for maybe a minute and gets up to wander whenever he wants to. He is distracted by EVERYTHING from a little girl's shoelace to the sun shining on the carptet to a calendar piece not placed correctly and gets up to fixes anything that distracts him. He also has a major problem with following directions and only follows them when he wants to. There is no way to get him to do something that you want him to do unless he wants to do it. I have treverything from reminding him of where he needs to be to moving his spot on the carpet closer to me to even asking him to do something for me when I see he's starting to get ancy. The only time I can really get him to follow directions is when I praise him first by saying, "D**** you have done a wonderful job sitting in your seat this morning. I can't wait to tell your mom and dad about those good choices, can you sit back in your seat so I'll even have more to tell them?" He'll only follow these directions about fifty percent. Its hard during whole group instruction because it distracts the entire class when he walks around the room to play while we are trying to have a lesson. The worst part is that he thrives from this attention and if I get stern with him he acts out even more. Last week was the worst because he ended up jumping on my desks and tables, knocking down our mirror and pocket charts, doing anything to get attention. Its hard because I only have an assistant for half the day and when she is in the room she is mostly keeping him busy so I can teach the rest of the class.

He also has severe anger management problems and becomes aggressive to his peers when he doesn't get his way. Last week he was written up four times for me for hitting by myself and the bus driver, and he doesn't just hit like some 5 year olds might do, but literally beats kids either with his hands or other objects. I have tried to have him talk to the counselor, the assistant principal, and have even had him call his parents but nothing seems to work. He is starting an anger management group with other students and the counselor this week, so hopefully this will do some good.

I've tried several time to contact the mother, but the population of my school is very close or below the poverty line. She normally has her phone turned off or doesn't have a car to come in. All year I have tried for a conference and she has either canceled or turned me down. Finally I have one on Monday with the assistant principal and our counselor. I would love some intervention ideas to present to her. I have a few already but any extra would be great. Thanks for reading this extra long post!!!!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

Wow, you do have your hands full. I 'm glad you went to your AP and counselor. What was suggested? The bottom line is his mother must eventually deal with the problem because it won't go away. Have you tried sending a letter return receipt to prove that she got the message. You must document all action that you've taken before making a CSE referral anyway.

As you said, he had no prior school experience, however it seems like there is way more to it. Any background info available? How is his home life?

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

He's a huge distruption and something needs to be done ASAP. What is happeing to the education of the other students? His violence towards them might make it difficult for them to concentrate on their work when he's in the room. There going to wonder what is he going to do next to them.
    At my school, we have a fist grader very similar to the one you described. The first grade teacher tried eveything: positive praise, rewards, You can do it attitude. Nothing worked. The teacher and princiapl met with mom many times. What ended up happening was he lost all of his recesses for the whole year (the one day he got his recess back, the police had to be called) and he was not allowed to eat with the other kids during lunch. He has to go to the office during these times. He was also taken out of the teacher's room and placed in another teacher's classroom. He's acutally doing better in her classroom. Not because of the teacher, but there is a different student dynamic happening in the classroom. The first teacher is still very much involved in this student's life. So, here are my suggestions:
    1. As soon as this student starts to misbheave, give the student a warning in the form of a choice. For example, "D-----, you have a choice. You can sit on the carpet and learn with us. Or, you can practice how to sit on the carpet during your recess time. It is your choice. Which one do you choose. " I used this in my class the first few months and it really worked. I ond't use it as much anymore because they now know that they have the choice to choose how they behave, and that their behavior affects what will happen: Big brains or loss of recess.
    2. Move him away from the group. I tell my kids that if they can't sit quietly on the rug, that they will move to the gray carpet, away from the classmates. I also told them that I'm not moving because I'm mad at them or don't want them near me, but that I really want them to learn and that I will move them to help them. So far, I've only moved two kids this whole year.
    3. During times when he is not wathced by you, such as during recess, if you notice he has a huge problem playing safely at recess, then I would suggest taking them away. I know that kids are supposed to have recess. I'm a big advocate for recess, but I'm really thinking more of the other kids. If he can't handle playing safely and puts other kids in danger, then it's not fair to them. Take his recess away until his behavior improves, then slowly reintroduce them.
    4. For the bus. I know that at my last school, if kids fought on the bus, they would be suspended from the bus for three days. Does your school do this? It really worked beauase my student who fought, his mom also did not have a car and boy was she irriatated! She really talked to her son and he never fought on the bus again.
    5. I have a child who has major issues, mainly she always wants attention from me or the other kids. If she doesn't get what she wants, she will throw huge tantrums (screaming at the top of lungs that won't stop until someone comes and removes her). Well, what I decided to do with her was do a behavior chart that has pictures of our classroom rules. I put a cute stamp next to the rules that she followed for the day. Doing this actually did help. I didn't think it would, but her behavior has improved immensly since we began this behavior chart. Sh still cries and screams, but not nearly as often.
    6. Remove him from your classroom. If you have a feeling that he's going to become violent or jump around destroying your classroom, kick him out. I made arrangments with the sixth grade teacher to take my screamer if I need her out. We did this once, the sixth graders were very mean to her. she never got so bad to be sent out again. She hated it there. So, maybe find another teacher willing to take your boy. Send some paperwork for him to do. I know it's sad having tosend a small child out, but it's not fair to the other students who have to witness this and be victums. What is it doing to them? Are they going to fear coming to school? Plus, it's distrucpting your learning time.

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 10, 2006

Wow!

Wow! :eek:
    I had a boy with ADHD, but he moved. The previous teacher that had him said that she had an small incentive chart for him on his desk. She told him that everytime he didn't hit a boy or girl or stayed on task or on the carpet she would give him a sticker and then a prize after each column was completed with stickers. This worked for her. She had to constantly praise him and remind him to be on task and then praised him again for being on task.

I would probably seat him on the corner of the rug and make a circle using the point of the carpet as the center. Make it so that it's big enough for him to have space for him to move around in. Tell him that he's allowed to move anywhere within his space(the circle).

I've also read on here to keep them busy. So, at his desk have some coloring pages but have him face the group, you , and board. So, even though he's busy he'll "hopefully" be listening to you as well. I also tried the velcro method. Where you stick velcro on his fingers or on his shirt and under his desk. Have him touch the velcro as you lecture to keep him busy and interested in what you have to say. Tell him that he can't take it off.

I also bought him a stress apple. It's a squishy apple that he was supposed to squeeze whenever he wanted in order to keep him busy. I never got to try it since he moved but, I was afraid that he might throw it at us or to the kiddies.

I would also google on the internet and look for ADHD-teacher forums and see how they handle similar situations. ;)