Discouraged but still hoping...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StarrShine2, Aug 10, 2010.

1. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

This has been a tough interview season on Long Island. I have experience (have done several maternity leaves in several different districts), I have great references, and I feel I am interviewing and demoing well. The only problem...when I go to these interviews and move on to the second round or demo round...I am up against at least 15 people each time.

Anyway, I'm doing yet another demo on Wednesday (does anyone just get hired on the spot on Long Island, or are there ALWAYS multiple rounds??). My demo is for a reading teacher position and it will be with about 10-12 incoming third grade students. I was told to do a writing or reading lesson.

I am doing a writing lesson focusing on small moments. I will read them the book Rollercoaster, then talk about small moments, model a small moment in my life, and then have them work on their small moments. At the end, I will bring them together to share what they have so far (it's only a 30 min lesson).

Any input? Small moments is from Lucy Calkins and I've never formally used her model. I wanted to have my students do a pre write brainstorm (using a web or something) and then begin drafting but when I researched Lucy Calkins I don't believe she uses a prewrite before drafting.

3. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Do you apply on OLAS? I've taught 3 years in the city and still applying on OLAS. I haven't even gotten a call for any interviews. It's not a huge deal since I found a transfer to a good area in the city, but I'd love to teach on LI.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

And don't forget all the districts that aren't part of OLAS-- I think it only includes about half of the 125 districts.

In fact, it might be marginally easier in the non-OLAS districts, since there might be applicants out there who think they've covered all their bases.

Star, how did it go on yesterday?

(Of course, on LI, "marginally easier" is a relative term.)

5. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Oh yes, I am on OLAS everyday (it actually does work, I was doubtful myself but I have gotten leave replacements off of it and interviews).

I have a list of every district on Long Island and what system they use for posting so I'm totally on top of that.

Both demos I've done in the past 2 weeks have gone well but who knows...

Waiting to hear back from a demo for a probationary position and a demo for a leave replacement position.

I'm so thankful and lucky to get interviews...even more fortunate to move to second and third rounds, and even demos. I am happy and thankful for that....even more happy and thankful that I've done so many leaves...

BUT it's hard to stay happy when I get to a 4th round demo and they have a list that I see 10 other names on.

6. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 12, 2010

I'm from Long Island as well and pretty much never get interviews through olas. I just interviewed for 2 lts positions and am hoping for the best!

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Good luck star. Hoping something good comes from this for you! Keep your head up!