Discourage over the FTCE: Professional Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Toy_03, May 27, 2010.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2016

As to my quick note, I take every opportunity to spread the word: this was one of them.

As for the DOE, let me impart another trick. To find any state's department of education, search for "___ department of education", where the blank is filled with the state of choice. Then look for websites that end in ".gov". For instance, the website for California's department of education is www.cde.ca.gov. Other states - and, if I recall correctly, Florida is one of them - use DOE rather than DE to abbreviate "department of education" in the website name.

And, yes, in my previous example you could perfectly well just start by searching for "florida department of education student seizure procedure" and see if Google or whatever kindly coughs up anything useful.

2. jyotshna

jyotshna Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

3. jyotshna

jyotshna Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Hi, can you sell or share the study guide that you used to study. I attempted twice, but no luck.

4. Osmara Alvarez

Osmara Alvarez New Member

Sep 28, 2016

Hi teacher, did you pass that test? I am taking it tomorrow :/ first time taking it,but I am a bit nervous.
    Did you pass your GK? I am stuck on math portion could you help me by giving me any advice?

5. Osmara Alvarez

Osmara Alvarez New Member

Sep 30, 2016

Hello anybody here? Grrr I did not pass my test. Please people share your story.

6. Queet

Queet Rookie

Dec 10, 2016

Hi! I know it has been several years but this test is giving me major trouble do you remember what strategies helped you pass? It seems when I take the test the scenarios are troubling me because at least 2 of the answers seems correct.

7. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Dec 10, 2016

The trick with this test is to think as a "student centered" or constructivist type of teacher! Research has shown these methods are most effective for promoting student achievement. Also think of hands-on assignments or creating products to measure student achievement vs the usual hand written tests. You may also want to research the latest trends in education, project-based learning, and educational vocabulary prior to testing so you know what to expect. For example, a question may ask you to select the best description of project-based learning from the possible choices.
    :)

8. Queet

Queet Rookie

Dec 10, 2016

Thanks so much for responding. I took it today for the 7th time and last time I was so close I scored a 192, but this particular I figured out more strategies and information with higher thinking I just knew I had passed but didn't. I think you are right about the project based research because when I am looking for the response I say to myself every student may can't interview someone or have a computer those type of questions trick me up. But I think I may take a break from this one and take my subject area test in English 5-9. But I am sure to have been close this time, I am also wondering if I am choosing the same wrong answer, that would suck!

9. Riv

Riv Rookie

May 25, 2017

going to take the professional exam in two weeks and am wondering is it a situational kind of test? Does it test your common sense? I know there is a lot of vocab to learn but memorizing vocab I'm sure is not sufficient for the exam. What is the setup?

10. Queet

Queet Rookie

May 25, 2017

The entire test is situational, do not waste your time studying vocabulary, not a lot of that on there. I wouldn't say it's common sense. You must know the competencies.

11. Riv

Riv Rookie

May 25, 2017

thank you!

12. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 7, 2017

Hi just checking to see if you have taken the exam?

13. Tylergame8

Tylergame8 Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

I finally managed to pass the Professional Ed. Exam at least a few months ago, after 4 retakes! So, don't give up because you can do it and you will!

Queet likes this.
  14. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

What helped you pass this time or what did you do differently?

15. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jul 6, 2017

I'd also like to know what helped you pass. I will reschedule mine in 2 weeks time

16. Soledad

Soledad Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Hi, please let us know how you pass this time.

17. Soledad

Soledad Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Please let us know how you pass

18. DAH

DAH Companion

Jul 29, 2017

Yea, I wanted to hear from Toy how she finally managed to pass, but she did what so many others do, as long as they're struggling and need help they're on here whining, but as soon as they pass they fly off into the sunset never to be seen again. :cool:

19. Soledad

Soledad Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

Hi, you might be right because most people don't know how to properly say:"Thank you". I just hope not to fall into that circle. If a pass soon, at least, I expect to answer any question related to the test to help others in my situation. Thanks for answering me.

20. Queet

Queet Rookie

Aug 12, 2017

I finally passed this exam today! I can't believe it!

21. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 12, 2017

[QUOTE="Queet,...I finally passed...[/QUOTE]

What helped you pass, Queet?

22. Queet

Queet Rookie

Aug 12, 2017

What helped you pass, Queet?[/QUOTE]
    Hi! I have the cliff notes ftce professional book. After taking the test several times, I just went back and reread the sections of the contents that were on the test. The assessment section, critical and creative thinking, subject area, and esol. Honestly the scenarios always trick me up so just knowing those "higher order thinking questions." Analyze, create, evaluate, construct. There are a few terms that deal with reading and some Esol but I was good with those just choosing the best answer for the scenarios was my problem. Also, that proprofs.com quiz online is very helpful. Very similar questions.

23. Soledad

Soledad Rookie

Aug 12, 2017

Congratulations, smile and relax a little bit now.

DAH and Queet like this.
  24. Queet

Queet Rookie

Aug 12, 2017

Thanks!