Discourage over the FTCE: Professional Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Toy_03, May 27, 2010.

1. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

May 27, 2010

So i took my professional education exam again this past Tuesday and failed for the third time. :(

The first time I took it I missed it by 19 points, the second time I took it I missed it by 6 points, and the third I dont know till 3 weeks from now.

I did take a month break before taking my test again the third time, which was a big mistake I think.

I havent started taking the subject area because Im still trying to pass this Professional exam...

I do have the Cliff notes book and the REA book to study for, but Im feeling very discourage... :mad: :(

I did noticed that my pass 3 test has almost the same **** questions..meaning the questions on my 1 test and 2 test was on my third test. I did write ever question down that I can remember on the exam so it can help me for the the next time I take it.

What else is there to do...Im smart and I study...Im just a bit discourage...ARR :dizzy::dizzy:

Im done with school, but cant get my degree till I pass my exams... :mad:

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 28, 2010

I think it's time to focus your studies. Obviously what has worked for you during your college career is not translating very well for these exams.

My advice would be to make your next exam your next part-time job. You clock in every day during the week to get you prepared for the exam in X number of months.

Your salary? The satisfaction of passing the tests, credentials to teach, and probably more than a $30,000 payoff once you get your first job.

Break this thing up into chunks.

Take how long you have until the next exam, divide that by how many sections are in the test, you will get your pacing schedule to get everything completed by the time you take the test.

Make some time for a quick review, and GO PASS THAT TEST!

Osmara Alvarez likes this.
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2010

Know the terminology for this test - the online study guide can be helpful here - and make excuses to use it between now and the test.

5. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jun 26, 2010

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I PASSSSSED!

I took it today and I passed!

I literally studied the book...and all the questions that I remember on my previous test I took I studied that too (Same questions were on todays test)...

AHHHHHHHH......

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2010

Congratulations, Toy_03!

7. TestFairy

TestFairy New Member

Aug 15, 2010

Congratulations! I passed the Professional Exam the first time I took it, thank God, as it was a whooping $150 fee, but I owe this to THE BEST study guide/notes that a colleague sold to me...well worth the $50 bucks! :)

Now if I could only get some REAL HELP for the English 6-12 Subject Area Exam...this one I failed by 17 points!!! Yikes.... :/

8. I'mOnMyWay

I'mOnMyWay New Member

Aug 26, 2010

What did you use?

I need to pass the same test and I just wanted to know what did you use to pass. My email is ladytiahills77@aol.com :dizzy:

9. Esther111

Esther111 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

Professional Exam

Congrats!!!! Way to go!!!!

Please share with me what study guide you used and perhaps, I too, can puchase the book and notes from you.

I am currently studying for the FTCE General Knowledge Exam. Any ideas, books, notes you can sell.

Overwhelmed!!!!!

10. Esther111

Esther111 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

Inspiration

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

I would recommend the study guide Xamonline. Good Luck!!

I would like to purchase the study guide/notes you have, if possible

[/QUOTE]Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything

11. English 6-12

English 6-12 New Member

Dec 6, 2010

English 6-12 Subject Area Exam

Hello, I'm in the process of studying for the English 6-12 exam. I have studied the REA English 6-12 book inside and out but when I take the practice exam, I never do too well. So my question, Do you have any advice as what should I study as it relates to the test. There's so much and I really would like to hone in on the important stuff. Thank you so much for any advice you may have.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

Does the test give you any feedback as to subject matter that's giving you grief?

13. Mrs. Negron

Mrs. Negron New Member

Apr 26, 2011

Any Suggestions?

Hey there!
    I am studying to take the FTCE General Knowledge exam and have been studying every chance I get. Do any of you have suggestions on what specifically to focus on? What study guide do you have to help you? Please help - I need to pass this test!

I appreciate any help. :D

14. njones91

njones91 New Member

Jun 18, 2012

study guide

What study guide did you use to prepare for the FTCE prof. exams???

15. Janea1

Janea1 New Member

Jul 3, 2012

Did you take family&Consumer Science test?

16. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

I always recommend that you utilize one of the study books from the library. Doesn't really matter which brand. Then, take one of the tests. Grade it. Read the explanation for every answer. Then, read the book. All of it. Then take the second test. After that, taking the real deal is a breeze. :)

17. history

history Companion

Dec 30, 2014

Concerning the FTCE Professional Education Test: I was told the only way to really prepare for this exam is to first take one sample test and see which ones you got wrong and check with the book to make sure you understand why. The final step is to keep taking practice tests after practice test ( different companies so you can get a variety of questions) until you score high enough . I was told this worked for a large number of test takers. Is this the proper way to prepare for the exam? The reason I ask has to do with the fact that the questions are situational based and the information is not something you could just memorize you have to apply it. Is this all true?
    Thanks

18. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Jan 6, 2015

I am curious too as what is the best way to prepare for this exam. It is the last one I need to take to get certified. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!!! TIA!!

19. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Jan 6, 2015

Janea1

I hold a bachelors degree in Family and Consumer Science but changed my subject matter because I could not find ANY jobs for that subject. Do the schools in Florida offer theses classes? Have you had any luck? I taught it in Tennessee and really enjoyed it.

20. lmanning@spccs.

lmanning@spccs. Rookie

Mar 3, 2015

Can any recommend a good study guide for k-6

21. NasaCow

NasaCow Rookie

Mar 3, 2015

lmanning@spccs.

Have you taken your K-6 yet? I recently passed it (I am sure by the skin of my teeth in a section or two). It covers a wide subject area. I find taking practice tests helped me. The test questions didn't necessarily appear on the test itself but the explanations are what really guided my efforts! If it was something I didn't know much about, I started digging around the net for more info. If I can help more, please let me know. I was unable to find a good complete study guide for the K-6! Good luck :)

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2015

That is a very good approach, NasaCow: I bet you passed by more than the proverbial skin of your teeth.

23. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Mar 6, 2015

This 2nd Edition of CliffsNotes FTCE Elementary Education K-6 test prep captures the recent changes to this Florida teacher certification test that would-be elementary school teachers must pass in order to be teacher-certified in Florida.

Format: Paperback
    ISBN-13/ EAN: 9780544313538
    ISBN-10: 0544313534
    Pages: 360
    Publication Date: 02/24/2015
    Carton Quantity: 20

Also available in:
    ## eBook - $29.99
    - See more at: http://www.hmhco.com/shop/books/Cli...nd-Edition/9780544313538#sthash.HkrpwDV4.dpuf

24. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

May 4, 2015

I am shocked that this thread is still going...LOL WOW so many years ago...

25. Smile11

Smile11 New Member

Jun 2, 2015

Hi congratulations on passing the test. I have taken it several times. What do you think made a difference between the previous test you failed to the one you passed!? Please help on any advice! :dizzy:

26. jyotshna

jyotshna Rookie

Apr 3, 2016

Hi I am taking my prof ed FTCE in April. Any study tips?? books? recommendations???

Osmara Alvarez likes this.
  27. history

history Companion

Apr 3, 2016

Jyotshna
    I have taken it 2 times already and scored 194 and 195.
    I used a tutor ( not helpful) and cliff notes book latest edition
    I hear people with previous teaching experience pass, but who knows.
    I have also used learning liaisons strategy and part of it has helped so far.
    The biggest problem are the situational questions.ps i used the rea book this time

28. jyotshna

jyotshna Rookie

Apr 3, 2016

Thank you. So what is REA book? I am substitute and have teaching experience(8yrs) but still wondering if I can pass with the help of cliffs notes and quizlet.

29. history

history Companion

Apr 3, 2016

I have over 10 years as a sub and it means #!$. I am talking teaching own class. The rea is the company name and the title is their most recent ed of the.professional ed prep book. As far as cliff notes alone, opinion s vary. I need everything

30. Karengani

Karengani New Member

Apr 14, 2016

Would u sell that study guide? I took the professional 3x and failed even with all the studying in the world. Ugh!

31. Oneonly54

Oneonly54 Rookie

May 13, 2016

So I took the ftce math 5-9 middle school exam and I failed it I am so sad. I study a lot . There was two part of the. Exam the Administration and the math part. I feel I was not successful in the administration part because I am not a teacher yet I just have my bachelor. Any idea or suggestions please . Oh the math part they did not even give me a reference sheet so I had to now all the formula which I thought they would have given to me. So I am sad

32. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 23, 2016

I'm sorry you seem to be struggling to pass the FTCE math exam for Middle School. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the main part of the test is content. You should know the formulas as part of your basic education. Perhaps you could take a refresher math course online, or watch youtube videos of basic math content online to help bridge the gap. Your bachelor's degree should be sufficient to get you a passing grade if Math is truly your strength. Your lack of teaching experience should not be impeding your success. Best wishes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  33. Karengani

Karengani New Member

May 24, 2016

Hi are you willing to sell that review you have? It's urgent. I failed 4x :(

34. Kristie

Kristie Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

What is the secret in passing this Professional Educators Exam? I have now take it 3x's, I have 4 different study guides, have listened to Learning Liaisons and joined for a month. I don't know what I'm doing wrong....it's frustrating.

35. TinaMc

TinaMc Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

I had heard that many of the functions on the calculator were disabled. Is this correct? I bought and have been using the texas Instruments calculator listed on the DOE website and it never occurred to me that some of the functions might not work. Have been prepping using this calculator. I take the test tomorrow!

36. TinaMc

TinaMc Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

I called FLDOE and they said the calculator is fully functional.

37. Kristie

Kristie Rookie

Jul 15, 2016

So I have take the Professional Education Exam 4 times now and still haven't passed....frustrated! Any suggestions? I have numerous study guides and I thought for sure I passed today but no. Has anyone gone and done a score verification? Is it worth it? Do they take in consideration your view points?

38. Tylergame8

Tylergame8 Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

I have just taken the Professional Education Exam 3 times and I still haven't passed yet! I've even seen questions that I've seen before on the test and thought that I had a chance this time, but still no dice. I have the Mometrix Professional Education study guide, FTCEprep website practice tests, and I still come up short. Have any of you come across questions on the exam, such as one about the use of marijuana, alcohol, amphetamines, or barbiturates? That one usually has me confused. Can anyone help me out here? Because if I take this a 4th time, I want to nail this puppy dead to rights!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2016

Quick note, Tylergame8: For your own good, don't reveal actual specific test questions here. Pearson and Praxis, the two main teacher-test companies, can and do monitor sites like this, and they can and do take action against test takers in accordance with the agreements that test takers sign on registering for the test and on the test day.

With that said, the Professional Education exam tests Florida teaching policy. Start by searching the Florida state department of education website for documents that spell out procedures that teachers are expected to follow. If I wanted to research, say, procedures for a Florida teacher who suspects a student is having a seizure, I'd go to the DOE website and I'd try a series of search terms, beginning with "seizure" and, if needed, adding the words "procedure" and "classroom" and "student" until I got a result. With luck, I'd find some kind of handbook in pdf format that I'd then download. If FLDOE didn't help, I might try searching the Internet with the search string "florida student seizure classroom" in hopes of finding that one of the larger districts has a useful handbook of its own. I'd adjust the search string if this one doesn't give me the results I want, but always keeping "florida"; if needed, I might broaden the search to "medical emergency", which is probably less specific than I want but better than quitting.

If I needed to know facts about specific effects of drugs, or signs that someone is using, or something else that a teacher should know in today's world but that isn't specific to teaching practice, I'd search the internet more generally, and I'd hope for hits on Wikipedia. Wikipedia articles tend to be thorough and efficient, and as long as one seeks information rather than scholarly citation, they work wonderfully.

40. Tylergame8

Tylergame8 Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

Thanks, and don't worry I wouldn't want to get myself in any trouble with the law. I'm just hoping to do enough to pass this test outright. If I have any further questions, I'll stay in touch.

41. Tylergame8

Tylergame8 Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

Also, I'd like to know the full address for the DOE website that you mentioned, if I'm going to make it through this test.