Discounts/rebates/gifts etc. during Covid 19

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Apr 15, 2020.

1. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 15, 2020

So far we have the obvious stimulus check, partial refunds on car insurance, free PS4 games, no student loan payments for 6 months, what else have you seen?

3. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 15, 2020

Also, there are talks of another round of stimulus, this time with bigger direct payments.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 16, 2020

I saw nurses getting free shoes from Brooks. They had to apply for them and show their badge. One of my friends got a pair and posted pics. Pretty cool.

5. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 16, 2020

I forgot about the 15 gb of data Verizon is giving out until the end of April.

6. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 27, 2020

Verizon giving out another 15 gb through the end of May.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2020

We have only used a half tank of gas between the two of us since early March. They are offering free video doctor appointments through our insurance. DH and I go to different practices, and we have both used the video doctor. His was a checkup. Mine was for pink eye meds. I can also use my FSA card to purchase OTC meds, and that usually not permitted. Otherwise, we haven’t noticed anything else.

8. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Apr 27, 2020

I heard AAA is giving discounts for memberships.

Keep getting emails from tons of clothing stores about free shipping.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 27, 2020

Yes, I got a few emails too. I hardly every buy clothes online because of the high shipping costs but now since nobody is shopping for clothes in stores they have to entice us somehow. I don't need any clothes right or I would take advantage of it.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 27, 2020

I got a rebate from my car insurance.

11. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 27, 2020

I'm still waiting on mine.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 30, 2020

I got a letter from my car insurance that we're getting 20 % back at the end of April and May. They either deduct it or if it's paid they add the credit to your account or send you a check.

Verizon is giving 15 gb in addition, I actually have the unlimited plan.

I got a letter from my student loan that the payments are frozen until September 30th, (not sure of the exact term) but basically it doesn't have to be paid right now. It's actually on my credit because I've had a hard time with super high payments (umm, how am I supposed to pay $900 a month?) and now it's taken off.

A lot of the bills state that they can't give you a late fee or otherwise penalize you if you can't pay, but of course I just pay everything (except for student loan lol)

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2020

Have you thought about doing Public Service Loan Forgiveness to pay off your student loans?

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 30, 2020

I really don't think I would qualify. All those loan forgiveness programs make it sound so great, but there's always more to it. For example if you have ever missed a payment, you don't qualify.

15. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 30, 2020

bella84 likes this.
  16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2020

I'd be surprised if you didn't qualify... You can definitely miss a payment. You just have to make 120 payments while being employed in public service before your loans are forgiven. Those payments don't have to occur in consecutive months. As long as your loans are federal loans, there really shouldn't be any reason you don't qualify.

I got into the PSLF program a little late and I've had a couple of administrative forbearances, plus I've changed jobs over the summer, so the June/July months didn't count towards my service. With all of that in mind, I need to teach for about 2-3 years longer than the 10 year (120 months/120 payments) requirement. It'll most likely be year 13 for me before I get forgiveness. But, in the meantime, I've been on an income-driven repayment plan, and my monthly payment has never been more than $212/month. The lowest I've paid was something like $140/month. I had a colleague who looked into the program at my suggestion. She was a single mom working as a relatively new teacher, so her monthly payment was $0/month, but that still counted towards the 120 payments, even though she wasn't actually paying anything.

I highly recommend that any teacher who has federal loans look into this program. You have to make sure you're in the right repayment plan and that you get the paperwork filled out, but you should otherwise qualify.

whizkid likes this.
  17. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 30, 2020

bella84 likes this.
  18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 30, 2020

I just looked up the link and it says a qualifying payment means it's the full amount that is on the bill and cannot be more than 15 days late. I have been paying my loan for years, some times late, other times not, and had large gaps when I wasn't able to pay. So this is why I was thinking I won't qualify. Or at the very least the payments I've made wouldn't even count.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2020

It is possible that some of the payments you've made wouldn't count. That was the case with some of my payments (either I was in the wrong repayment plan at the time or there was some billing issue due to changing from one repayment plan to another), but most of them have counted. Not making a payment doesn't disqualify you from the program. It just means that you won't get service credit for that month, even though you were employed in public service. You can just pick back up again when you're ready. It's actually quite likely that most of the payments you've made DO count towards the program; you're just not enrolled in it yet. Have you been on the standard repayment plan? If so, any month that you made a payment AND were employed as a public school teacher count. It doesn't matter if you haven't already enrolled; they will count those months/payments when you do eventually fill out the paperwork.

whizkid likes this.
  20. pearie

pearie Rookie

Apr 25, 2021

Do you have any more? I would like to find some really good deals on everything :D I am looking for pet supplies also