Disclosing a non-renewal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kaeco510, Jul 25, 2014.

1. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

Hey everyone,

So I was non-renewed at my previous position. Long story but it was not based on performance. It was a political move - 3 new teachers were non-renewed in my school, basically used as pawns to show a P and other admin's power. Our evaluations were all totally fine. Blah blah blah...it stunk and there was nothing I could have done about it.

I have a finalist interview on Monday and I'm wondering how to bring this up / disclose it? I do not want this school to hear from my old P that I was non-renewed - I would rather it come from me.

My school used the typical "not a right fit" line when non-renewing me. Should I just use that as an explanation?

I'm worried this will hurt my chances of getting this job. They asked me in my interview if I was still with this district and if I was going back. I answered that I was not with the district and I felt that it wasn't a right fit.

Advice please? :confused::confused:

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

My last job, well my only full time job, ended in a forced resignation. I caught the school doing something illegal, which was posting a negative eval that had been countered immediately by a much better one (eval on the worst day of my teaching career, including my nephew whom I had custody of ending up in hospital, brittle diabetic and not allowed to take the call.....it was a BAD DAY!).

I found it, and a colleague told the union. It ended up with the state union and lawyers were involved. Next thing I knew I was being threatened in my classroom, yelled at in front of students, private medical information was released, LOUDLY in the halls for everyone to hear, I could go on. The union told me to resign, it was the best thing for me.

So I did. It has hurt me quite a bit over the years, then I talked to the Union again and they told me to NOT say anything because I resigned. I also talked to the HR super who hired me and she said to have schools call her, she would stand behind me.

I have since gotten two long term sub jobs and am hoping for a new full time job soon.

Call the union, call the person who hired you, find out the best way to phrase it. I went back to school and picked up my masters in SPED, and explained my leaving that way.

I guess what I am saying, is no matter how bad it is, it is how you sell it.

Don't blame the P's, that looks bad, spin it to make you look as well as you can. "Yes, I was non-renewed due to the needs of the school. I have used my time away from the classroom to do x,y and z."

Good luck, it is a tough spot to be in, but you can get another job after having that happen.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

I was not renewed at the job I thought I would have forever, and I was devastated. My supervisor, who was herself new in the position and under some pressure, said go with RIF, reduction in force. They had a physics teacher hire who couldn't pass the Physics Praxis, so they juggled everything so that she could stay and teach, and it took my position away. Being older, I took it personally, but just received an email today that fleshes out the story. That teacher has just failed to pass the Praxis for the third time, even after the school provided extensive tutoring and paid for a course that was supposed to fix the problem. Turns out, the thing no on mentioned a year ago is that this young teacher and her family are friends with the superintendent outside of school. I have moved on, am working, and just finished my master's degree, so the news mostly just made me laugh out loud. I have come to the conclusion that most districts know there is politics going on, but they just don't want to admit to it. If RIF doesn't work in your case, just be very careful to take the high road, and don't bad mouth anyone. Your potential new employers will see that as a class act, and nothing anyone says will be able to dispel that positive impression.

Good luck, and hold your head up high - this stuff happens more often than anyone would believe.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 26, 2014

Are they for sure going to call your former P?
    Can you list other admin references besides him?

I would frame it as postively as possible.
    "I was non-renewed last year, despite excellent evaluations and great performance feedback from admin. Here are a list of three references that can attest to my work at XYZ school."

I would then drop and not get into the power struggle business. Hiring committee may shrug it off because it's very common.

6. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 27, 2014

I know not to say anything negative about my former school or the admin there (as much as I would like to!!!). I'm just concerned that I won't get this job because of this. I was thisclose to getting a job in a great district and ended up not getting it because of the non-renewal.

I have ten LOR, including one from my former P. I do not have him listed on my reference contact info list, but I have my supervisor from 2011-2013 (dept head), mentor teacher from last year, another ELA teacher from last year, and my cooperating teacher. However, the last job I was a finalist for specifically asked for his contact info :( Hopefully they won't ask for his contact info!!

Do you think I should bring it up / address it? Or wait until they ask??? :confused:

Fingers crossed! Thanks for all of your advice