Discipline

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by CANteach, Sep 16, 2009.

1. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

Just curious, what are others using if a child needs a 'time out' or as a consequence for bad choices/warnings etc.?

3. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

We have a play time right after lunch and if they have made bad choices in the morning, then they have to sit out at play time. If they make bad choices after play time, then they lose free center time in the afternoons.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

I use ugly voices, ugly faces, one-on-one conferences, phone calls home, notes, etc. If we are on the rug I send them to their table for a minute or so and make them put their head down. Tomorrow I have a few who will lose 5 minutes of recess. Later in the year I really get into my displine policy...right now though they are just learning so I give lots of warnings. In October I don't give so many chances!

5. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

we have clips with many levels to move up or down based on our five classroom rules. I don't do warnings, I am in a low poverty school and if I give an inch, they take 10. I have a vertical behavior chart with 6 levels. My top level is earning "4 frogs" and treasure chest at the end of the day. The next is also worth 4 frogs but they earn a sticker. Next is "3 frogs" which is where every student begins the day at. Below is a stop and think frog worth 3. Next is 2 frogs and the student must go straight to my refocus desk and turn a 5 minute timer over and think about which rule they need to improve on. The final is 1 frog which is call home or office depending on behavior.

My focus is find the positive, and if a student moves down to 2 or 1 he/she always has the opportunity to move back up if they improve their behavior.

We celebrate 3's and 4's in my room, but they only receive treats on 4 frogs. The students record how many frogs they earned each day and a parent must sign nightly.

My 5 rules: listen when the teacher is talking
    raise your hand to speak
    raise your hand to leave your seat
    follow directions quickly
    make smart choices

Hope that makes sense!

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

If a child misbehaves in the morning, they lose 5 minutes of their recess, and if it is later (or more severe), they usually lose their snack time. I do write notes home/call if the situation warrants it or if it is a re-occurring problem. I do try to match the punishment to crime if it is possible though- ex. if they scribble on their paper, they do another paper neatly.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 18, 2009

I agree! Natural consequences! :)

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2009

:agreed: Natural consequences. We use the baseball system, where they get strikes for misbehavior. Each strike has a consequence.

Most of my misbehavior has been for talking. So the child has to sit be themselves. Strike 1 is a silent lunch.