Discipline

Discussion in 'College' started by mommyre, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 6, 2013

Do any of you have trouble with classroom discipline? I have had to ask students to leave my classroom twice in the last two weeks, and tell a third if he didn't stop the argumentative attitude he would have to leave my classroom. Two of the students were 35+. The third was only 18. I expect more of my students than that. I teach developmental English and Reading. I have taught this before and only ever had to make one other student leave my classroom. She had emotional issues and upon returning to my class she requested assistance in locating community help (mental health services). I am baffled. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what did you do?

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2013

Never mind.

4. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 7, 2013

They are placed into my class because they don't do well on the placement test. If they want a degree they have to pass my class to get into regular English. Mine doesn't count towards their degree.

5. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 9, 2013

There are some amazing teachers at my college and I'm more than happy to ask a couple of English teachers what advice they have. I'm at a community college and am an adult learner myself. I tend to only have experience in math classes though (I participate as a tutor in supplemental instruction in the classroom in developmental math classes).