Discipline Strategies/System

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Maithal, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

Hi,
    Do you think using a traffic light system is age appropriate for prek students? How about special ed. prek students (such as students w/developmental delays), etc. How do you handle discipline in a prek classroom, what kinds of systems of discipline do you use? Thanks!

3. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

That is exactly what I am using. I do think it works. But I always try to make sure they get back on green soon after the red light ~ and time out. Here is what I do.

All kids start on green. 1 warning and they go to yellow. If their behavior improves they go back to green. If they get another warning before going back to green, then they go to red which means a time out. After the time out, they get to start back on green.

4. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

I think this sounds great for all children...very visual which a lot of kids need regardless of ability!

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 27, 2006

You have an amazing website! So detailed!

6. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I agree with you 100 percent. I work for Head Start. We are not allowed to use the word "TIME-OUT" We use redirection,encouraging words, eye level. And most of all in my class I tell the children the truth about behaviors and what can happen in negative and positive situations. Plus I communicate with my parents on a daily bases. Children like it when you talk to them at eye level in a calm matter. And give them a chance to explain things. They are only doing what a 4 or 5 year knows how to do. The children have said to me "teacher you know alot of stuff'..

7. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

what a great site!!! I love the rules with pictures to go along with them!!!