Discipline Question!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Hope2Teach9, May 30, 2011.

1. Hope2Teach9

Hope2Teach9 Rookie

May 30, 2011

I just found out that I will be teaching 5th grade next year. I was a co-teacher in 3rd grade this year, and absolutely adored it!

I have found many resources on the boards, but have specific questions about discipline...

What discipline plan do you all use in your class? We had a ticket system in 3rd grade, but I feel that's a little young for them. I would like my plan to center around self-accountability. What rewards/consequences do you provide that actually mean something to kids at this age?

Any help would be great!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

I'm bumping this. Personally I believe in classroom management philosophies as the first basis in developing any sort of plan. How would you describe your philosophy?

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

There are tons of options out there, but the key to any of them is to be consistent! The best plans don't work if there is inconsistency...

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 15, 2011

I'm attaching the form that we use. The first page is what we send with graded papers. The parents get their behavior grade and the codes that they lost during the week. The second is a rough copy of our form (I don't have any here.) We all agreed on the codes, but I tend to stick to: talking, disruptive behavior, not following directions, and wasting time. I make the forms at the beginning of the year and use the binding machine to make a small book. That way, at meetings, parent conferences, etc I can bring the book in and have documentation of the child's behavior. I carry it on a clip board with me. All of the teachers at my school (prek - 6th) have something similar and all of us carry clip boards to mark behavior. Some of the lower grades still have clips, etc in the room, but use the form for anything outside the room.
    I had three years in 5th and really enjoyed it. I hope it goes as well for you! :)

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 15, 2011

I use tickets for rewards for being on time, being on task, turning in practice logs, going above & beyond etc... I pull tickets out and students get to choose from a list of 30 or so rewards including signing their name on the wall of fame, bravo box (prize box), sitting by a friend, candy treat, beanbag chair, positive call home, etc.. :D

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

As far as discipline, there are 2 outstanding books that will tell you what to do. The 1st one is by Fred Jones. It is called Tools For Teaching. That will give you 90% of what you need. The other 10%+ will be by Harry Wong called "The First Days of School" which you might already have read or heard about. These two work awesome with a grade such as 5th. I teach 5th and use to teach 3rd grade like you. I struggled with discipine until I read those 2 books and went to the work shops. Since reading those books about 10 years ago, I noticed a huge decrease in the number of discipline problems.

8. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jun 17, 2011

I am going to try out using PAT this year with my class. PAT (preferred activity time) is essentially set up where the class begins the day (or week) with a bank of minutes. As the day goes by they can add to their bank (positive behaviors) or take away from their bank (negative behaviors). The minutes remaining at the end of the specified time period is the time that the class gets to take part in an educational Preferred Activity... There is a website if you google Fred Jones (same person readingrules is talking about) that has a list of PAT ideas. I am excited to see how it works. It also fits nicely with PBIS that my school is implementing.

9. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Jul 26, 2011

I use tickets in my class...Walker Lucky Lotto tickets. I reward my students for positive behaviors...being on task, following directions, being on time, etc. The tickets have a tiny sticker in the corner that they peel off to reveal their reward: lunch with the teacher, free pencil, pen, or eraser, homework pass, 15 mins extra computer time, or treat box. I'm getting rid of the treat box this year I think so I won't have to worry about keeping it stocked. :) But my 5th graders enjoyed it and it was pretty simple to do. They loved lunch with the teacher, although I thought that would be the one they didn't really care for. Go figure.

For negative behaviors, I have a chart that I keep on a clipboard to mark infractions. I carry this with me when we are traveling in the hallways. After 3 infractions, I have the students to call their parents and explain what has been happening. They start fresh each week. At the end of the grading period, I use the chart to determine their citizenship grade. 0-1=E, 2-5=S, 6-10=N 11+=U

Hope this helps you get some ideas.

10. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

The "walker lucky lotto" tickets...were these something you made or did you buy them somewhere? I used raffle tickets last year but really like the idea of the prize already being printed on the ticket.

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 27, 2011

Just a thought...A couple years back when I used the ticket system I had students write their name & the prize from a list on the ticket. So when I pulled tickets the student would get whatever prize they had listed. Some students would put the same thing on their ticket each time, others would put different things. The only issue I had with it was that soooo much time elapses sometimes between them writing their prize and actually getting to redeem it.

12. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 28, 2011

Do any of you do group rewards too? I'm struggling on what to do with my students. I work at a middle school and not all teachers do rewards, however being a fairly new teacher I still need SOMETHING.

But, in the next thought I hate giving too many rewards, because they should just do it without getting a reward as well. Just like when I grew up. I was well behaved, and rewards were pretty much getting an A and getting a sticker on a test lol. Unless, there were other rewards I don't remember. If the latter is the case then I guess they were not that profound.

Tipssssss please :D