Discipline procedures

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Sep 4, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Sep 4, 2012

What are the procedures at your school for discipline problems at your school? How does your admin help deal with situations that are minor?

Today we had one student who "accidently" hit another. They were sent to the office. How would this be taken care of at your school.

3. Jlaney22

Jlaney22 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

What are the procedures at your school for discipline problems at your school? How does your admin help deal with situations that are minor?

Today we had one student who "accidently" hit another. They were sent to the office. How would this be taken care of at your school.

Many of the different behavior infractions are outlined in their planners that have their hall passes. For example, sleeping or appearing to be sleeping= 1 detention. Saying the "f" word= referral to principal and up to 3 days out of school suspension (depending on what the principal decides- if it was said out of anger they'll be in much more trouble than a minor slip).

How was the hit deemed accidental? Did both students (the one that hit and the one that received the blow) agree it was an accident?

If the student that was hit said they believed it to be on purpose and not accidental, the student would get a minimum of 5 days out of school suspension.

If both students agreed on the accidental nature of the situation, there wouldn't be any problems in the eyes of administration at my school. If the kid was horsing around and that led to the hit, the student would be punished for that (depending on what was going on- Friday school (3 hours after school on Friday)-3 days out of school).

It is all about making the students feel safe in their environment. So long as everyone still feels safe, I highly doubt much would come of the situation.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Sep 6, 2012

We had no witnesses and nothing happened to the student that got hit. We found out it was accidental. The coach on duty could've taken care of it outside, but he figured it was easier to send them to the office. I'm just curious how situations are handled at your school. I feel sometimes ours get dragged out, and there isn't a solution.

Thank you for responding. I greatly appreciate it. It seems as though my posts tend to get ignored often. Ah well :p.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2012

Minor things in my school usually don't hit administration. If one kid accidentally hit another, both agreed that it was an accident, and no one was hurt, it would be a non issue.

Our deans are fabulous though. If there's any sort of problem with a kid, the dean's office handles it.

As to the lack of responses, A to Z was shut down for a good part of Wednesday night and yesterday. That could account for it.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2012

At our school, when things get to the admin, the admin actually comes down to OUR classroom, and sits with the kid to talk with him about his behavior and help him through work, so he's not missing any class and falling further behind.

If it was minor like accidentally hitting, I would probably just tell the kids to keep their hands to themselves and move on.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

The teacher in charge would have taken care of the situation. Usually this would involve a conversation with the teacher, maybe a phone call home, and documentation.

Our administration will call the students down for patterns of behavior or worse events. Sometimes consequences can take a long time to come (especially with a more difficult parent). Having all the data really helps.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 8, 2012

This would be considered a "minor offense" with our school's behavior system, and the teacher would document the behavior and any interventions he/she made following it. The students wouldn't be sent to the office for it happening one time, though. If it became a repeated pattern, that would be another story.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2012

That wouldn't be considered a discipline problem at my school and it would be dealt with in my classroom unless it became a constant problem.

We do have plenty of behavior problems that are much more extreme. Usually the first step is to get the guidance counselor involved.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 8, 2012

Minor issues never make it to the office. The teacher deals with it in the classroom first, and then we deal with things as a grade-level team as the next step. The office is the "last straw" step.

If it were an accident that ended up in the office, it would have ended there. The kids would have likely gotten a talk about being careful to avoid incidents that could be taken a different way than intended and then sent on their way.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2012

My school is like that too. Even if there was a real major issue I could never just send a child out of the classroom and tell them to go to the office. I always call the AP, or guidance counselor or whoever to come to the classroom.

12. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 8, 2012

At my school, minors get sent to the office on step 5. Our admin is pretty good about giving appropriate and fair consequences.

As for the incident mentioned, if it were truly accidental, I guess the students would have been given a warning by me, but in more of a "hey, watch out" or "be careful" kind of tone, more than a disciplinary tone. I teach Phys Ed. People getting bonked by accident is fairly common, including me! (I got a volleyball square to the nose in the first 5 minutes of class. It was an accident, I wasn't hurt, so we laughed about it and moved on).

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2012

Well, I teach Kindergarten. We talk about those things quite frequently. In K a lot of things are accidents, when it isn't, I follow my discipline plan. For things like hitting, I can submit a log entry which goes straight to the P, the parent can also see it. I put down what the consequence was. Sometimes, the P will send for the child when he notices a pattern. It helps to document.

I rarely send a child to the office. So, when I do they know I've reached the end of my rope.

I had the office come get a child on Thursday. It was the child's first day. Before I called for help I had emailed the P regarding concerns I had about the child. These concerns were based upon the brief conversation I had with Mom when she brought him. I didn't get a lot of info, but enough to raise concerns. It was the Principal who came to get the child. Let's just say that the child is not allowed to come back until Mom meets with the P. She didn't come on Friday, guess we'll see what happens on Monday.