Discipline plan for third grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by iteachm123, Jun 23, 2005.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 23, 2005

I've been thinking of what kinds of discipline plans I would like to have in my third grade classroom and I'm interested to find out what you all use. Could you please give me some ideas?

Thank you,
    Michelle

3. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 24, 2005

I found that 1-2-3 Magic worked well with some of my more umm active grade threes in the class I student taught in. I usually only had to count to 2 with them once they realized that 3 meant sitting out of whatever activity we were doing.

4. Michelleh

Michelleh Guest

Jun 24, 2005

Behavior Plan

I assign each student a number. I bought a package of the calendar cutouts that already has numbers on it. I also bought a pocket chart that has about seven or eight pockets. I put the calendar numbers on the first three rows. The next row has an A=warning. The next row has B=five minutes time out. The next row has C=no recess. The next row has D=call home and the last row is F=office. When the student doesn't follow the rules then they pull their card. Every time they pull it the conduct grade goes lower. The cards do not go back up until the end of the week. I would also have them to write what rule they broke and how they will improve their behavior. This can be sent home to the parents. I would also write good notes often and do as much as you can to praise good behavior. I would reward the students who didn't pull any cards by passing out treats, certificates, free homework passes, free bathroom and water passes, etc. Make sure that you call home to make good behavior calls as well as the bad behavior calls. ;)

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 24, 2005

I was a long term sub in third grade this past year. The classroom teacher used tickets for her discipline plan. If the kids did something beyond the normal behavior expectations, she would reward them with a ticket. When a student had enough tickets saved up, they could chose from the 10, 20, or 30 ticket prize box. They could also eat with the teacher if they had 50 tickets. She also had whole class incentives for earning tickets for lining up and transition times. If the entire class was quiet during those times, all the students would get a ticket. If a student misbehaved or did not do something they were supposed to do, they had to give the teacher a ticket. It was amazing to me how those kids guarded those tickets. They were all responsible for their own tickets.

6. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jun 24, 2005

My classroom rules are:
    1. We will be on time and prepared for class each day.
    2. We will show respect for ourselves and others through our words and actions.
    3. We will follow directions the first time they are given.
    4. We will keep our hands, feet and objects to ourselves.
    5. We will do our best at all times!

Rule #5 covers a lot of things! :) I try to follow the Love and Logic way of discipline. Giving choices when possible and giving natural consequences with sympathy. I made a large traffic sign out of cardboard and laminated it. I bought some mini-clothespins from a craft store and wrote every students name on one. At the beginning of the day all clips start out on green, which represents good behavior.

Here are the consequences in my room for breaking a rule:

1st time - Verbal warning, move clip to yellow
    2nd time - stronger verbal warning, move clip to red
    3rd time - "I see you have chosen to break the rules 3 times in the classroom today. That means you have chosen to sign the RT book."
    4th time - Trip to the principal's office, or call parents

The RT book is the Responsible Thinking book. It is a black 3 ring binder that contains a copy of our classroom rules and several blank copies of my Responsible Thinking plan. The plan has 3 short questions for students to answer on their own. I have a desk in the back of the corner that I have my students sit in while they are filling out their plan. They are not to leave that chair until I have had the time to come check their plan and sign it. The questions on the plan are: 1) What did I do? 2) What rule/s did I break? 3) How do I plan to improve my behavior? Once students have completed the plan correctly, they sign it, I sign it, and they must take it home and have their parents sign it. Then they return it to me the next day, or else I call parents and talk to them personally about the problem. I like this method very much because it puts the responsibility back on them for reporting their bad behavior and for coming up with an improvement plan. Plus, it makes it very difficult for parents to argue with you when the plan is written in their own child's handwriting!

I always start the year training my kids how to appropriately fill out an RT plan. I give prizes for students who have never had to sign the RT book each 6 weeks. This method has worked wonderfully for me for several years!

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 25, 2005

It didn't seem to negate the good behavior in her room. The kids tried hard to follow the rules because they did not want to give any of their tickets back.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2005

I love the idea of a Responsible Thinking Book!! What a great idea!

9. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 25, 2005

Thank you all very much for your ideas. Here's another one that a second grade teacher uses and it works well: purchase paper money, preferably the large one dollar bills, and give each student two at the end of every day regardless of how the day went. But, here's the catch: if they don't do their homework, talk during class, etc. they have to give you a dollar bill during the day when the incident occurs. Either once a month or after they have accumulated some money, then they may choose from the treasure chest which consists of pencils, erasers, little toys, and so on. You can find these relatively inexpensive from Oriental Trading.