Discipline Plan for a 1st grade classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach2, Sep 19, 2005.

1. love2teach2

love2teach2 New Member

Sep 19, 2005

I was actually just wondering what types of discipline plans you recommend in a 1st grade classroom? What seems to work the best?

3. Julie M.

Julie M. Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

I use the Love & Logic approach. The basic rule is "Don't cause Problems" and we work a lot on how to solve problems in the classroom. www.loveandlogic.com has tons of info. I reccomend the book (I use the audio book) of Teaching with Love and Logic.
    Good Luck!!

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2005

In my room I have a poster of a traffic light. I cut out the traffic light and laminated it. All the children start on green. (I use clothespins with thir names on them) If they break a classroom rule they get a verbal warning. If the behavior continues then they move thir clip to yellow. They lose 5 minutes off of recess. If they continue to misbehave thir clip goes to red. They lose all of thir recess and a note goes home to thir parents. The note must be signed by the parents and the student must write how they will behave the next time. I have been using this for years and it works great.

5. dee

dee Companion

Sep 21, 2005

I use a plan similar to Rosie, but I use an apple tree. Each child has his'her apple on the tree to start the day. They move from warning --> time out --> lose recess --> call home --> office visit. This plan works for me.

6. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Oct 4, 2005

what should i take away if they go to yellow or green if my students dont have recess?

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Oct 4, 2005

Choice. ex. Choosing a seat at lunch or choosing a place in the line. Emphasize the positive. Give the well-behaved students praise, errands to run, extra choices and classroom jobs.