Discipline ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SunShinePumper, Aug 4, 2007.

1. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I’ve been looking at a lot of discussion about classroom discipline plans. I switched schools and grade level this year and was planning on using a move a card or stoplight type public display. Several people disagree with this method and I was wondering what exactly you did in your classroom.

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Well, I don't like the management of the pull a card system. But, I do use the stoplight and love it! It's easy to manage and is very visually clear. Something I'm going to add this year is a level above green - students have to go above and beyond to get to this level and when they do they get a little extra prize. I will be using tickets as a reinforcer in my room and (I got this idea from another teacher, sorry I can't remember who) when a student gets to the bonus level they will shoot a basket for extra tickets.

Did this make sense? It's almost 1am and I'm a bit groggy. LOL. I like this system and it has seemed to work well in the past. Also, students have the opportunity to move back down the stoplight if bad behavior is changed into good.

4. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning toward the 4 stage system like yours, but I was going to make it look like a 4 story building to go with my theme. I was wondering if I should let them move back up. I was worried if they would try to abuse the system if I did.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

A fellow teacher came up with something many years ago and it works for the upper grades. They have a competition to earn "green cards" in their groups. (small cards that have something stamped on them and are laminated to prevent forgery) They earn the cards all day long for anything from not being the last group to get quiet to getting books out first, correct answers during games, nothing on the floor, clean desks, everyone having homework, everyone present, etc. Individuals earn them for their groups for A papers, outstanding comments during discussions, handing someone an extra pencil, even telling me I look gorgeous. (I don't keep that last one after the first time!) They don't tell any other group how many cards they've earned. At the end of the day, we count, card by card. Winning team(s) get a small piece of candy. This year it won't be candy. It will be using a pen instead of pencil the next day, or sitting on cushions, or something a bit healthier.
    Maybe someone else can help me think of quick no cost rewards.
    My kids from many moons ago will see me in town and tell me how much they loved the green cards.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

I do something very similar to shouldbeasleep. I have 3 groups and they earn points for all the good behaviors and activities they do each week. On Friday we count up points and the winning team gets a trophy to keep at their group for the next week. They also get their name on a banner in the room. We have a party at the end of every marking period and the team with the most winning weeks gets to choose the theme for the party (ice cream, pizza,etc)