Discipline Help Requested

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by lacey2828, Nov 15, 2004.

1. lacey2828

lacey2828 Rookie

Nov 15, 2004

Hi All,
    I just recently joined this site and find it fantastic. I read posts all the time to get ideas because I am a student teacher in the 6th grade which in this particular school is still considered elementary. I have the class all to myself for the last hour and a half each day. I am a very passive person and find it hard to discipline but these kids are walking all over me. I was trying to teach Social Studies today and I couldn't hear the answers to my questions because everyone was talking. There was a boy in the class that repeatedly threw his pen up in the air and then catch it. I asked him to quit and pointed out that I knew he would not have done something like that if his teacher was in the room. I don't know what to do? Everything I ask of them does not seem to phase them. Please help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Nov 16, 2004

My first suggestion is to use teaching strategies that are designed to keep your students actively involved in your lessons. The vast majority of discipline issues arise when students are bored or not involved in the lesson.

Have students "pair/share" information...have students "all write" answers to questions you pose rather than having the same handful of students raise their hands...

Also make sure to give specific directions. Give a specifc amount of time to do a task and always "check for understanding". For example, I may say, "You have 3 minutes to do..." Then I will ask a random student to tell me how much time they have and what I am asking them to do.

I do not use rewards and punishments, but I do use something called a "clinic"

A "clinic" is simply a re-teaching of the appropriate behavior. A clinic is done on the student's valued time, such as recess. For example, if a student is throwing a pen up and down during the lesson I will simply walk up to the student and ask him to see me at recess for a clinic. During recess I explain what the appropriate behavior is, then model the apporpriate behavior for the student, then have the student show the appropriate behavior back to me. This may only take 5 minutes, but it is very effective. The best part is, clinics are done without anyone getting angry.

For more tips on how to use teaching strategies to address discipline problems take a look at my sig file.

Good luck,
    Adam Waxler

4. lacey2828

lacey2828 Rookie

Nov 16, 2004

Thanks a lot for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. I am sure things such as discipline and teaching strategies will come with time. Whenever I get frustrated with the outcome of a teaching method that I have given a try I just remind myself that I am only a student teacher and this is my learning time. I will definitely give your advice a shot. Thanks again!

5. SpanishSRTA

SpanishSRTA Rookie

Jan 24, 2005

try this---citizenship points

I just posted this for someone else and I thought it might help out your situation.

I am a new teacher as well. I teach Spanish to 9th, 10th and 11th graders. I am a petite blonde, and I can't help but to smile all the time. I, too, was known this past semester as the fun, easy, new teacher. I run a very laid back class, but I am comfortble with it. I was having a few behavior problems-mainly talking out of turn, but I believe that is my own fault from starting the year with such a laid back atmosphere.

This second semester, I have added a new category to my grading scale and it works wonders!!! As 10% of the students' grade, I have come up with a "citizenship" grade. Each day, the students will earn one citizenship point. They can get this point taken away if they 1) don't bring the necessary materials, 2) make inappropriate comments to the teacher/classmates 3) Bring food/drink in my classroom 4)Sleep or do not participate and then I also explained points can be taken away for other applicable activities.

Once a student looses his/her point for the day, they can never earn it back. I am amazed at how this is working. Students who never brought their books are actually bringing them and the talking has significantally cut down.

When grading time comes, just count up how many days are in the quarter or semester or whatever, and then subtract how many points the student had taken away. For instance, I do this system by quarter so my students can keep up to 58 points (one for each day.)

When students realize their behavior is effecting their grade, they really change their opinions about how they act. Especially with new female teachers, I don't think they value our "discipline" techniques nor take them seriously. This way, they are hurting their own grade. You have to be very strict with this system when you begin it though so the kids know you are serious about implementing it.

Hope this helps!

6. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jan 25, 2005

Along those lines, we have all or nothing points. They are expected to participate positively to get their participation points. Any slip ups and the lose the points (not part, but all). They can make up the points by not needing to be disciplined for the next 5 days. The key to this is the points have to hurt if they lose them.

They don't call me Hartless for nothing.

I've been the petite teacher for the last 10 years. The best way to deal with it is to draw the line very clearly. You can do this and still be liked. Eventually they like, and respect you more.