Discipline for Secondary Students?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by txteach2b, Aug 29, 2006.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 29, 2006

I've never subbed before, and I got a call today for a couple of assignments coming up in the next few weeks. I'm okay about handling elementary school, but I'm nervous about high school and middle school. Things have changed a lot since I've been in school, and I don't want to mess things up and not get called again....I've never been in a classroom setting, and keep visualizing, but discipline is where I keep coming up with a blank! HELP, PLEASE!!

3. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

What has really worked for me is letting the students know right out of the gate that you will be leaving a note for their teacher when he/she returns. I've experimented a little, and if I wait until the middle of the day to let them know this their behavior improves. I made sure that if one student in particualr is acting up, I go over and ask their name. Of course, they want to know why. Then I say because you know you aren't acting as you are supposed to and I'm leaving a note for your teacher to read. Then, I say however, if you behave I will leave a good note for your teacher. Works every time. If you give them a chance to change their behavior, they most likely will fly right.

I also make comments about how well one group is behaving (feedback) versus how one side of the class is behaving. Most of the time the students will behave like the "good group", but not always.

It makes it a little bit more difficult for the sub when in MS and HS classes because you can no longer hold them before recess since they don't have it. A good solution that I saw at a middle school campus is to have behavior paragraphs that they must write. These kids hated doing these, and would do anything to avoid them.

I too, was a little apprehensive about the older classes, but some of the younger grades are much more of a challenge for me, personally (especially 5th grade!).

Honestly, I found the high school students to be the most laid back, mature group thus far. They know what to do, they do it, and then they leave for their next class.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2006

It really depends on the kids. A friend of mine subbing today had to refer a student to the office because of an escalating series on problems. It might have been a case where something prior to class just set the kid off. My recommendation is to get familiar with your schools discipline policy and options, go with your instincts and don't be afraid to get help from another staff member or refer a problem student to the office if necessary.