disciplinarian take students sides too often

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Miticageta21, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Miticageta21

Miticageta21 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013

it happened to a lot of teachers in my department recently: no matter what you write the students up for, the disciplinarian will say: I talked to the student and he has a different side of the story, which doesn't match the teacher's so the disciplinarian doesn't give the student any kind of punishment. I feel like I am wasting my time trying to explain the disciplinarian what the student did, because he is not helping. Anybody has a similar situation?

3. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 16, 2013

I can not speak on your exact situation. However, at my school it is the exact opposite. Anything a teacher writes is not up for discussion which is horrible. I have seen teachers use this to get their way.

4. Miticageta21

Miticageta21 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013

get their way? What do you mean? Why would a teacher write up a student with no reason? I asked my disciplinarian to come in my class and ask the rest of the class how the student that I wrote up behaved and if he was or not disrespectful. The disciplinarian didn't respond to my request and just never did anything to the student who, I promise you, was disrespectful. I wouldn't waste instruction time with a student to "make up a reason to write him up."

5. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 16, 2013

I have been in a class where the teacher would lie on referrals and show what was written. Say the student did one thing the teacher would add on B and C. Why, because he knew admin would take his side. One time he even called the AP in class!

6. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 16, 2013

Is this all based on hearsay, Math, or have you actually witnessed a teacher lying about a student's behavior?

7. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 16, 2013

Witnessed is the story really that hard to believe? Do you believe no teacher would ever do anything out of the ordinary (Milsey) has told a lot of strange stories.

8. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 16, 2013

I'm simply used to students believing a friend's tale of the evil teacher and taking it as gospel truth. Student created rumors about teachers tend to get out of hand rather quickly.

But, if you've actually witnessed a teacher acting unprofessionally, you may want to anonymously report said teacher to the principal.

9. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 16, 2013

Thanks but I think not.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 16, 2013

It sounds, in both cases, that the administration is more interested in what is expedient than what is fair and justified.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2013

I can see both the OP's scenario and Math's scenario playing out, honestly. Not necessarily at my school, mind you, but in general. There are teachers who abuse the system (like in Math's example) and students/administrators/parents who abuse it (like in the OP's).

My suggestion is to find a way to handle discipline issues in your classroom as much as possible. If you never have to rely on admin to support you, then you never have to worry about being let down or unsupported. This strategy obviously won't work for everything or every infraction, but it's a start. It's also not easy, but it might be better than having all your referrals thrown back at you without consequences issued to the students.

12. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 17, 2013

I've witnessed teachers write students up for "defiance" (which was an automatic day of in house) for things like asking for a pencil, because the student had a previous history of behavior with that particular teacher, and the teacher just wanted them out of their classroom. The flip side, obviously, is that kids skew their story to get off the hook.

Typically, I'm as detailed as possible in my referrals. If a kid tells me to f*** off, I put that on the referral, including what led up to the incident and any previous steps taken for similar behavior. It usually works for me.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2013

I agree with you that discipline should be handled appropriately, but I disagree that the disciplinarian should come to your class and question other students. The issue should remain between you, the student, and the dean.