Disaster Plans?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sarzacsmom, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Do any of you have disaster plans at your centers? After 9/11 our center did stock pile some non-perishables and made it mandatory that parents provide an extra week's supply of diapers and formula for the infants. Since then we have had some things happen in our area that make me think we need to reexamine oru disaster plan---we had a lockdown a few m onths agodue to a pesedetial candidates' office being taken hostage, we've had severe floods a couple of times and last week we had tornado warnings and tornados did actually touch down two towns over---I am seriously considering signing up for our local CERT program so I cn be more effective at work, but am curious as to what other centers have in place if anything

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

When I was in southern california, all the students at my school brought in earthquake supply kits. There was a list put out by the school of what kinds of non-perishable foods should be in one of those gallon size zip-loc bags - enough for up to 3 days. they also all brought in a large thing of bottled water. They stored them in one central location and were returned to the students at the end of the year (so far, always unused!)

This was a Christian k-8 school. I'm not sure if the public schools in the area required anything like this.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

Oh, yes, do we have disaster plans. I'm part of a large, urban-type of school system in a town with a lot of government buldings. We have major disaster plans in place, and we have to practice one scenario monthly, ranging from shooter outside the building to tornado. The BoE tells us which drill to run and sends a rep. to watch us practice. The school board provides food and water for each school - enough water for each adult and child in the building to have 2 bottles, and a case of granola bars, poptarts, applesauce cups and individual cereal boxes (to be eaten dry) for each grade. It's stored in a central location and re-stocked each year. We have an evacuation agreement with a local large business so that we can go there in case of a bomb or something.

It's crazy all of the things we have to consider nowadays. When I was little, all school doors were unlocked and open, and I never heard of a bomb. Today, you need to be buzzed into my building and show ID to the secretary before even entering the foyer...and try explaining "bomb drill" to a bunch of 4 year olds without scaring them to death.

However, remember the DC sniper? I live and work in that area, and that is just one small example of how twisted our world has become and how much on alert we all have to be.
    Kim

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

We have distaster plan kits and we are heavily encouraged yet not mandated to have the supplies for the children for a week. We are to stockpile all of the things that you are discussing, clothes, formula, diapers, food (and I have allergy groups) water and so on. All the rest I am good with, but for the life of me I can't figure out as a family home provider how we would move with 12 children and 3 gallons of water for each of them for 7 days each plus meds and binkis and all of the personal care items.

that is a lot of stuff to move with.

Do you know what your communites plan for emergencies is? When I lived in the midwest as a child I remember there being well formulated disaster plans in the community. Now that I live in the wild wild west we don't have tornados (although we do have earthquakes they aren't as big as Ca). So we don't have a community plan that I can feed into. I would love for my community to figure out how to run a disaster plan so that I could do my part and deliver the children into the plan at an approvided point of entry.

what is the class you are thinking of taking? what do they cover?

I think you are very wise to get on this. Would it be only your class getting ready or our whole school?

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

CERT = Civilian Emergency Response Team and there are branches all over the country-- it's basically civilians who take a 7 week course in disaster response to enable them to be of help to the community in the event of a disaster---they provide additional aid to tthe local emergency personell ie fire departmetn, police, ambualnce etc, or wherever they happen to be at the time disaster strikes. I recently sawa brochure for NH CERT and one of the areas of expertise/experience they were mentioning was child care--I know you always here and see on the news about children whose parents ahve been killed, or they have been injured or they have gotten seperated from them--- I'm thinking that they arel ooking for people with training in child care services to take charge of the children and or help provide care for them. It also provides general disaster response training so that you know what to do under various conditions and can take a leadership role wherever you are--they give you special id cards to show local officials too--the trianing includes who to turn to where to go what to do first aid etc

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

It's not something for my preschool class-- it's for me personally but the training would enable me to be abe to take charge at the center if the center was directly involved in a disaster--even if the director and supervisors were there-- as they run around trying to figure things out I would be able to take charge and assist them in taking care of things becasue i would have the training and knowlege.

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

Yes, we have disaster plans. Luckily for us, we are in a federal building and are aided by armed security during any type of drill. We practice all scenarios: shelter-in-place (for terrorism, natural disaster, chemical disaster, etc.), fire drills, etc. We have supplies stored off-site that include diapers, wipes, dry food, emergency formula, etc.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

12. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I am in a public school. We have our state mandated fire drills, tornado drills, and lock-down drills. After the Murrah Bombing, there were other drills for awhile and we discussed the plans of putting up plastic and duct taping the gym once, but now we are mostly concerned about tornado warnings and crazy parents. Although we've had a few lockdowns because of police chases through our school neighborhood.

I guess we have enough food at the cafeteria for a few days, but I don't know about the water supply. Maybe it's something to be aware of these days.

Several years ago when I taught 2nd grade, I taught at a school who turned on the fire alarm in the middle of lunches. Surprised, we went outside then found out it was a bomb threat. None of us had ALL the information we needed to call parents and to release the kids to neighbors and other family. It was quite a stressful situation, plus I got the worst sunburn from it. (We even had to sneak back in after school hours to get our purses.) We carried reduced print class info lists behind our badges all the time after that.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

We are mandated to have the state approved first aid kit at all times, even if we walk the children around the block to the elm school. I had adjusted to that a long time ago. But now, I have a cell w/ the state licensing phone #, Child Protective Services and of course 911 along with all parent's contacts. We shrunk the intake sheets to 30% and laminated them at the office store. We hooked them on a ring w/ a shrunk first aid manual and boom-complete set fits in a fanny bag.

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

I see--- that makes sense. When you said off site I was thinking it was stored in antoher building!

15. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

And we carry medical & emergency information, contact phone numbers, etc. any time we leave the center.