Disappointing turn out

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by becky, May 14, 2009.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 14, 2009

Yesterday I had a parent meeting with the moms whose daughters are supposed to come to my Junior troop in the fall. Also there were the leaders of the Brownie troop we are partnering with. Only one of my moms came, and get this- she's considering putting her daughter in school next year, meaning she can't be in our troop anyway! She really wants her girl to be in GS, so I gave her number to Jeannie's current leader. Would that be called irony?? Hopefully after a recruitment meeting at our library, more families will be attracted.

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 14, 2009

I am sure a lot more families will sign up in the fall Becky! I always picture those activities as "fall" activities. Don't give up!!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 14, 2009

Becky,
    I wouldn't be too disappointed. This is a crazy time of year, and nobody is really think about next school year yet.

Usually, having a parent meeting in September is better. The Girl Scout year doesn't start until October 1st anyway, so September is plenty early enough, and it is when people know what their plans are.

Hang in there.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 14, 2009

This will be a homeschool troop, so there can be a slight difference in the planning timetable. Plus- you know I'm all Type A already.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 14, 2009

I realize you want to get a "head start" on this, but as you can see from the turnout, there is a reason to wait until September. New troops aren't technically allowed to start until October 1 anyway.

One thing I can tell you from 12 years of being a GS leader -- you have to learn to "go with the program." Everything in scouts is "hurry up and wait." As quickly as you learn the manual, there are 27 updates to it that change everything. The people who can't go with the flow end up frustrated, burned-out, and stressed-out.

I totally get that you want to get a head start on things, and if that works for you, great. But based on your post, it didn't sound like it worked out very well.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 14, 2009

Becky- I agree with the other posters. I was a troop leader for 5 years. Our troops had limited activity in the summer. In fact, our Service Unit didn't even meet in the summer. Have thought about taking any leader courses you may need from Girl Scout Council? They may be offered during the summer. Also, our Service Unit put on a summer day camp. If yours does, you may get involved in that.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2009

Most people are probably busy making their 'summer plans' and will think about the fall later. Have faith, Becky! This will work out for the best. :thumb:

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 14, 2009

I have always wanted to have a GS troop in our town...then I thought, I should quit waiting for someone else to do it and start one myself :blush: But I have no idea how to even find information. I googled it once, and didn't find much. Any advice?

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 14, 2009

Look up the Girl Scout Council for your area. I live in Orange County CA. It is pretty urban here. We have our own GS Council. Within the county there are several Service Units- grouped according to geography. Each Service Unit works together, coordinates activities together and and has monthly meetings. Every troop leader goes to these meetings.

Contact the GS Council in your area for a start.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 15, 2009

Go to this page http://www.girlscouts.org/councilfinder/results.asp?STATE=NE

Type in your zip code, and it will give you your council. It is very strange -- our state has 4 different councils in this 1 state -- but as I recall, Nebraska is serviced by a council in Tennessee. Isn't that strange? But anyway, you simply contact the council that services your area, and they will get you the information you need.

Good luck! Scouting is great fun!