Disappointed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rachaelski, Jul 10, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I joined A to Z just a couple months ago. I had a rough school year, and I was searching for a reminder as to why I love teaching. I was also searching for a job. I was instantly drawn to the Job Seekers forum. I "met" people going through the same situation as me, I met seasoned teachers and interviewees who offered advice and critiques, and I was offered encouragement and congratulations when I finally received a position. I continue to lurk this forum, hoping that I can be a motivator, congratulator, and opinion-sharer with those still seeking jobs. I look forward to seeing new job postings. However, today I was terribly disappointed while reading posts. People are putting down others on the forum. For example, a poster saying a person does not deserve a job because they only had a couple interviews or that a more frequent poster or person who put in more time interviewing deserves a job more than someone else. Another poster was putting down an organization near and dear to me, Teach for America (of which I am an alumni), saying those teachers don't deserve the job (nevermind they went through a multiple-interview process, complete independent coursework, complete on-site training before and during classroom placement, etc.).

What's with all the hate? I get that people are frustrated, but disrespecting others or downplaying their accomplishments is not the way to go about getting a job. In fact, I think it screws with your karma.

Everyone loves and deserves a good vent, but please, let's not put people down.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Just take the POSITIVE and let the rest go!
    It's a venting forum too. Sometimes posters do that to a point where they tend to forget that OTHERS will be offended.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE NEGATIVE STUFF THEN DON'T READ IT!:D
    You can PM the people that you think are being offensive. They will PM you back IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT or probably would just tell you to MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.;)
    Rebel1

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

Don't let it get to you. Look for the positive. I agree! Let the rest roll off or you'll end up having it eat you up. You will always see things you don't like or don't agree with everywhere in life but everyone has an opinion and they will voice it. That's why we come to forums. Don't let it bug you. Respond to what you like and let the rest go!

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I've been on AtoZ since January of 2008 and every since then, it's been just as you've described. I'm sure some that have been with AtoZ for longer will agree as well. Just as Rebel stated, take the positive and let the rest go. I would also like to add that ignoring those that aren't so positive does the charm.

6. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

Oh my...I have had only positive experiences on here. Does stink when people are not being positive!

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

I gotten more good than bad from this site, and it is way more positive than some of the others. I have read a few posts that I felt were offensive, but like the others said I ignored them. I too received my certification through alternative means, not Teach for America, but TAPP. This does not change how I am as a teacher. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a darn good teacher, and often get all of the staff children in my class because of it. I too was offended, but I chose to disregard the negative. Like most things in life you often have to take the good with the bad. Keep your head up and don't let anyone devalue you.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Remember to also take some of the negative posts with a grain of salt. The jobseekers forum has had a couple of tough years. Many of us have been searching for such a long time, that at times, some may make statements that are just out of that frustration. For example, a member dogging a newbie get a job right off the bat, doesn't mean that that person shouldn't or isn't qualified. It may just be frustration when knowing you have experience and maybe can't get a single interview...basically why is it so easy for some and not for others. Read past the negativity and maybe just see it as sign of stress and frustration during these hard economic times.

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I get what everyone is saying, and intellectually, I understand that. However, emotionally, I cannot see that kind of attitude being helpful, in fact, I think it hinders the posters. I don't expect people to take responsibility for not getting a job (there are so many factors in play), but to blame others is just ridiculous!

To take responsibility on my own part, I was checking out posts that clearly were people venting about job prospects and where people were clearly frustrated.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2009

I just try to ignore the negative stuff and don't respond to it (although sometimes I have wanted to). I find this forum on the whole to be much more positive than negative on the whole, but there are always going to be people who post some things that put other posters down. And please don't leave the forum, because of this; I have enjoyed your posts since you started posting and would hate for you to leave because of some negative posters.

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

You are absolutely right...negativity is not productive. I just wanted to point out, as I am guilty of this myself, that sometimes we posted when we are downright miserable. I am sure most don't intend to trully blame anyone for the reason they didn't get a job. But I think sometimes it's a bit of what does he/she have that I don't have. In our rational thinking, we know that it is probably something more like area of expertise, connections, or maybe we needed to do a better job at the interview. As much as we may not want to admit it, we could be a factor in not getting the job. But, your thoughts might help us remember not to blame anyone when we vent. Thanks.

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

well I guess with this many women, a slip up every now and then is bound to happen...

I do think alot of us could do a better job at times of being more considerate. Sometimes we come here to vent and we wind up venting against the wrong people.....

I do however think that teachers in general should be more supportive and help build all of us, not tear down. This is the way we will become a stronger work force.

13. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I definitely read more good than bad on this forum. It's just like working in a school. Some teachers are negative gossip mongers and thrive on it. Some are constant complainers. Some teachers will think they are better than everyone else. You just have to let them roll off and think positively. Seek out the positive influences in your school as well.

14. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

I agree about being more positive.

But I do have to say that it makes me feel a little more human when I am feeling down, frustrated, mad, or whatever and someone on this board can relate.

The most recent post about "wasting my time" (I can't remember the exact title of the post) really made me feel like I wasn't the only one feeling this way. I appreciated the post and could relate to the way other people here were feeling.

I may not always agree with everyone here, but I'm glad I have a place to find and exchange thoughts or ideas about education.

15. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

I am always impressed with all the good thoughts sent to people going on interviews and getting jobs. I really have not noticed negatives excepts vents, and that is what they are for.

The TFA thread was more of a debate. Perhaps there should be a sub forum for debates where those conversations should be moved.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

Heather~there is if the thread gets to x amount of pages on it.

I would not have gotten through all my job hunting frustrations if it wasn't for the forum. It has taught me that I'm not the only one, and that there are good teachers that are struggling just like I was. I think the reason I got my job was b/c of the advice I had received from this forum. Of course in a forum such as this, you will have positive and negative posts, but I think its more on the positive side.

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

Have to agree with this. And honestly, I have not read anything negative. But probably that is because I live in my own little world. I always try to see both sides and think that the person is just down. My daughter gets onto me all the time for being like this. She thinks that I may be overly positive. Just can't help it. I see the good in most people. Sometimes you just have to look a lot deeper in some than in others. :)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

I know I typed a pretty snotty remark on a post yesterday. I was having a really rough day-- spent most of it in tears concerning some of my medical issues. I chose to take something someone wrote on the wrong way, and responded like a 12 year old.

Fortunately the poster was kind enough to overlook my lapse.

Sometimes we have to remember that we don't know the person on the other end of the computer-- their issues, their history, their frustrations. And we have to allow for that.

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

I'm sorry you had a rough day yesterday. I hope you didn't get any new bad news.

I think you are one of the posters on here who can always be counted on for calm, positive, common sense and good advice.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

Nope, not bad news.

Just crying a lot as I cope with the aftermath of the latest round of surgery.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

Understandable. Also, anesthesia can cause total hormone insanity too, which doesn't help matters. After my back surgery, I had a day or two where I felt like I had the worst PMS ever and was really weepy, and my mom and doctor said that was actually pretty normal, even aside from recovery and other related issues.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

That's pretty much the best description of it. It will pass.

23. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Hoping you feel better Alice!!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

I will. I'm just not quite there yet.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

To the OP, rachelski:
    I think if you go back and re-read the posts you mentioned, there are far more positive responses than negative ones.You will find for the most part that the forums are a great place to seek advice and support, share ideas, triumphs and setbacks, and to also vent:eek:... We aren't always going to all agree with each other on every topic- that's to be expected and should be welcomed as reading opposing viewpoints pushes one's thinking to reconsider his/her own thoughts about a topic and see how new ideas 'rub against' what was already 'known'...that's ok.:)

26. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Czacza is right. Actually, I was admittedly whining in a few threads recently, and people sent me very supportive PMs. I think there is way more positive energy and feedback on here than otherwise.

27. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

That was me as the first one you mentioned.

And i was having a bad day...I was in an area that I could rant...and i did. If not to my fellow teacher-job seekers then who?

If DOES get frustrating when you have sent HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS of applications/resumes out...for YEARS. And you hear of someone getting a job after a few applications and one interview.

Let me tell you abuot my situation. I'm 50, a single mom putting my kids through college, and fighting their dad who isn't helping though he has PLENTY of money to do so. I went back to college ((3 1/2 years..re-did student teaching)to update my career chances, and THAT took a LOT of money. And now...I'm finding a brickwall when it comes to getting a job. - So much so that I just may have to give up the dream of returning to teaching altogether. And this is ALL I have ever wanted to do...in my life. The three of us are living on what i can make at a grocery story and summer school teaching. I'll sub in the fall if I can get the days...but last year was very rough since there are even so many subs on the market. This year will be tougher (as any alimony that I might have gotten has ended.. and thus, I can't play around anymore...it's get a job NOW or look elsewhere).

So the desperation level is VERY high.

The post I wrote that in said that I have a love/hate thing with the 2009 jobs thread. i LOVE to celelbrate with peopel over their jobs - of course more those i know than strangers..that's human nature...and later I mentioned that I am happy ANYONE gets a job. but later mentioned my frustration when jobs seem to be gotten by others after one interview.

I'm sorry my rant bothered you. I rant. Sometimes I am not politically correct..or too blunt. But I am so frustrated here (considering the situation and having gotten rejection letters- and hearing others in my same area tell about- the mention that thousands are applying for the one position --and gee, "don't take this rejection personally" ,-actually was written in a rejection letter well I was consolled that 999 others were receiving the same letter).

I just happened upon your thread... sorry that my post upset you.

It's not hate of the people on the forum at all...it's hate about the situation I'm in and frustration about working so hard to get something...and it not coming (but hearing of others breezing past you... seriously.. I feel like I'm a special olympics contestant at the real olympics.... and that will probably offend some people too).

28. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Teach for America is great Rchael! I am sorry you came across a few negative posts but I would say that is the exception to the rule here. This is the nicest, most supportive teacher forum I have ever run across.
    Before I posted here I tried to post on the Craig's list education forum. BIG MISTAKE! I lamented about California's budget crisis and over-saturation of teachers and I was called a whiner and a loser who just wanted to teach in order to get the summer's off.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

McK-
    I read that post and your frustration comes through..I didn't think it was negative about other teachers/job candidates, just frustrated with your own job search...Sending you good vibes on the job hunt...;)

30. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

McK, I for one, love your posts. You have an innate ability to see humor in every situation--you laugh at the scowls of life, and in turn, you make us laugh along with you.
    This is why you're going to make a fabulous teacher.
    Hang in there. Very often jobs pop up in the beginning of the semester as schools adjust accordingly to financial and space constraints. Also, keep your eyes open for long term sub jobs.
    I know one day I will come in here and see a thread entitled,"I got the job!" and it will be written by you.

31. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

I like McKenna did the whole go-back thing. My bachelor's is economics. I have strong opinions. They often make my mother-in-law scared of me which is fine to me since I tolerate her on my best days. I make no apologies for my opinions. We live in a country where it's right to have an opinion.

My brother and 2 cousins are in Iraq aka "the giant sandbox" because they want to make sure we keep those rights. (I'm not going to debate the war in the sandbox. They're soldiers following orders.) I have another brother who is unfortunately an addict. There are many days where I'm on edge because I hear of another attack or my bro has disappeared for two days again.

My hubby is very supportive but I can see that he is losing his patience. We are both at a place in our lives where we like to start a family but we can't. It puts a huge strain on my marriage. I get to get up some days and take him to work. Where does he work? An elementary school that has consistently rejected me. I was good enough to sub but not teach there.

I am experiencing desperation. My references are now one year old. Once you've been out of the game more than a year employers begin to think there is something wrong with you. I get so happy when I hear of another AtoZer getting a job. I'm happy because I know that these are teachers who care. They will do a great job but at the same time it reminds that I have no job and that's what hurts.

I've found this board to be a place where I can not only vent but also learn. The tips on interviewing, resumes and cover letters have helped so much. I was getting no interviews till I tried some of the things. Now I average an interview every 2 weeks. That's huge progress.

32. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 13, 2009

That's great that you're getting some interviews! I'm glad you found tips to help you.

33. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I definately have seen much more positive and supporting posts than negative. I have been on these forums since I google searched "CSET test prep" in December of 2006. Those forums helped me prepare for the tests and the infamous TG's wisdom helped many people go through those tough tests. (she still does) Then I was on the New Teacher forums and the Intern teacher forums. Then I hung out all the time on the Kindergarten forums getting so many ideas on how to present curriculum in an exciting way to my students and how to manage kids in the classroom and now here I am on the Job Seeker forums!
    One thing about posts, and emails, and test messages is that they can be taken the wrong way. We type one thing and then when we reread it, it can seem harsher, or different than what we are really trying to say. That's the disadvantage of not talking face to face.
    But all in all these forums are wonderful and have invaluable advice and ideas for every area of teaching. I hope we don't loose you!
    Stick around, we all need each other!!:cool: