disappointed

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Sub2Teach, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 27, 2006

:( :( I got a rejection letter for a part-time k teacher position today. I've only had 2 interviews for this year and both have ended in rejection letters. I haven't had the opportunity to even try at a second interview. Its making me real disappointed since I've sent out tons of resumes, online applications, as well as sent applications through the mail. I don't know what else to do. I don't really want to sub again this year because i need the benefits and I want my classroom. I hope something comes soon, I've been out of school for three years and its hard to keep up hope. Any advice??

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 27, 2006

I don't have any advice, but I'm right there in the same boat with you. The only thing I can say is don't give up. The right job has to be out there for us!

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 28, 2006

Hang in there. I've always hear that April and August are the two big hiring months for teachers!!

I know it is so discouraging to hear a NO. I have an interview today but if I don't get it, then I don't know where I'll be after this. I am so tired of looking. I feel like telling the school I'll work at beginning year pay and I'll take a one year contract so if they don't like me they can get rid of me. But I won't. It shouldn't be so hard!!

Boo-Hoo I'm crying with you!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2006

Hnag in there. It only takes 1 "yes". And August is a VERY long month!

Have some consolation ice cream for lunch, and send out more resumes!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 28, 2006

Don't worry something is going to come along. I have been on seven interviews for 12 positions so far this year and I have heard no from 5 out of the seven so far. Something is going to come along for you! don't give up hope.

7. mtjulietbadger

mtjulietbadger Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

I'm right with you! I've had several interviews with no news at all. I'm excited when I get an interview, but then nothing happens. I guess we all have self doubt we will ever find a position. I keep up hope by telling myself the right position is there and I just have to maintain hope and keep sending out resumes! Hang in there!

8. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

teaching is hard because when you graduate all your friends get jobs right away if they aren't in the teaching field. others don't understand why it is so hard to get a job. it really shouldn't be this hard should it....think of all the kids...all the school districts....all the classrooms.
    it will happen don't stop sending out resumes until like a few weeks into school.

9. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

Don't despair!! I know it is easy to get down on yourself but things will work out. When I graduated from college, the job market here was extrememly tight as is the case even now. The first 1/2 year, I worked in a daycare/preschool as a pre-K teacher. Once the school year started again, I worked for a year at USBank on credit card customer service while subbing. The next year I had two interviews and nothing! I was so depressed starting the school year subbing again even though I was completing a long-term maternity leave. What a blessing! The sub that was supposed to take on the maternity leave backed out which opened the door for me. Six weeks into the school year, a different teacher at a different school decided she wanted to resign. Because of the "good" job I had been doing on the L-T, I was recommended by the principal to fill that position. I interviewed against 4 other candidates. Within two days, I was hired to take over the classroom-- yahoo! my own room!! The original teacher stayed for another 1.5 weeks. (She was supposed to wait 3 weeks until I was done completing my leave duty.) So, the district had to hire in a sub to fill-in for the next 1.5 weeks until I was there. So, you see, things work out in mysterious ways. You will all find success and a position that is perfect for you.. have faith in yourself and your abilities.

10. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 28, 2006

Thanks for your support and encouragement! It really helped!!! I will try not to give up. I plan on sending out more resumes this weekend and up until the school year has started. I'm trying to keep up hope. Glad to know I'm not alone, thanks again!!

11. mtjulietbadger

mtjulietbadger Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

You are definately not alone. I would also try e-mailing your resume. I did that this evening and got an immediate responce from the principal. I have an interview on Sunday (yes Sunday). Wish me luck!

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 29, 2006

Don't beat yourself up, both positions I worked at I was either hired 2 weeks before school started or in the middle of the year (just got tenure in Jan. at that one!) Many veteran teachers are also looking at times to change and don't notify their Districts until the last possible moment, family leaves are extended unexpectedly at the last minute, so there is still an excellent chance of getting a teaching job! Hang in there!

13. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

Where in NJ did you get hired in late August??? Isn't it hard to set up a classroom that late?

I'm still hoping someone will call me for a regular position, but time is running out.

14. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

sub2teach-i completely feel your pain. :( i too graduated 3 years ago (that must have been a bad year-ha-ha!) and have been teaching in urban schools. i have had some pretty miserable experiences, but have also learned a lot + gotten practical experience. i have been looking for a new job since feb. and have had NO CALLS for interviews. but i'm not giving up and you shouldn't either! i talked to some (very nice) h.r. people today, and they told me that some principals will not be looking at #'s until like 2 weeks b-4 school starts...crazy!! long story short, at that time they will know if more teachers are needed and will probably be pretty eager to hire! so do not give up! i will keep my fingers crossed for you! -meri

15. mtjulietbadger

mtjulietbadger Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I was relying on the postings on the websites for vacancies. I called those schools and found out they were already filled. So then started calling each individual school. I have gotten 3 interviews now and feel much better.
    I've also been told they can call as late as 2 weeks into school. Sometimes they don't expect the amount of students they get or it may be a last minute teacher resignation. Either way, being a new teacher I agree it doesn't give much time to set up a classroom ... but as this point it is a small worry compared to the doubt of finding a job.
    I still haven't given up by a long shot, but it does make you question your choice of profession at times!

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

I hear you. I think lots of times it's just luck. Some schools don't even go through all of the applications. Some hire within. Some hire for reasons we'll never know. Eventually, persistence does pay off though. Keep your chin up high.

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

And good luck!

18. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 2, 2006

Thanks! I sent out four more resumes today for schools including follow-up cover letters in the hopes that maybe they will call me this time for an interview. I'm trying to stay positive. I'm sorry meri. I hope those of us in this same boat here something soon. I'm glad to hear schools might still be hiring the last couple weeks of August, that's encouraging anyway!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get some interview calls soon. Thanks again!!!

19. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 2, 2006

I just wanted to say...

When I started looking for a TA job in May, I sent out résumés to EVERY district in my county PLUS most of the Catholic schools in addition to a charter school or two and some day care centers.

When I went to my first interview it went rather quick (about 9 minutes) and I knew the lady knew who she was going to hire from prior interviews. So, I got discouraged. But, I NEVER let that stop me. I continued to pound the pavement and after other interviews I got more and more excited. Eventually, my excitement and enthusiasm paid off. The principal asked me how many résumés I had sent out, how many interviews I had been on, and how many were ahead of me. When I told him how much this meant to me and that I wouldn't rest until I found someone to give me a break ... that was that. The job was mine.

So please don't let yourself get discouraged because the right teaching job *is* out there. Just do what I did. Pound the pavement, get yourself get more and more excited and enthusiastic, and eventually someone will be really impressed with your level of excitement and enthusiasm that they'll go ahead and extend an offer to you.

Hope this helps some people who are still looking! :)

20. wendi

wendi Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Look at how many of us are responding to your plight! Hits close to home for many teachers, right. I remember those days of the job search, too! But did I hear that you'll keep trying *until* school starts? No,no,no...Keep reading

Over the last 15 years, I've worked in 3 public schools and 4 private schools. Of the seven schools, I only got 2 of the jobs in August, late August in fact. All of the other 5, I got *after* August! In fact, all three of the public schools hired me during the year; one in September when they decided to open another class (which meant I had a small class b/c 2 classes split up into 3; that worked out great b/c it was my first year!); another was in December when a teacher decided to take the rest of the year off for maternity leave (that was also great b/c I got to work with her for about a week before she left, which taught me a lot); and the third was in October for a position as an enrichment teacher; maybe they fill positions like that a bit later if they're busy with the regular classroom positions and schedules, etc.

Subbing is good experience to put on your resume, but I'm wondering if you're limiting yourself to either a full-time, public school classroom position or subbing. If you can't get the "dream" job right now, which I imagine is your own class in a public school, maybe it'd be good to consider other positions for a while if you haven't yet done so. Maybe a different kind of interaction with children would look good on your resume, something that involves developing longer, closer relationships with kids, colleagues, and administrators than subbing allows. Some ideas could be running an afterschool program, being an aide, teaching part-time, tutoring, or teaching a special (often in private schools, you don't necessarily need to be certified in that particular area; I taught science in a private elementary school w/o a specialty in science ed.)

Best of luck to you all!

P.S.- I did eventually get a stable job in a Montessori school, which I love!