Disappointed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RainStorm, Jun 17, 2018.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 17, 2018

Our school year is over. I met with my principal the other day. The long and short of it is he didn't feel I did a good job teaching this year based on a couple of parent complaints. He said he told the parents to come see me, but they never did. He never shared with me that parents had come to him during the school year, so I had no opportunity to consider making any changes.

I guess I'm disappointed and feel like he has a negative attitude toward me now that is not supported by my true performance. He did zero observations of my class this year (nor did anyone else.) He never met with me to say anything was wrong, or that he'd like to see changes in the way I teach.

I feel a bit blindsided. Now he wants me to fill out my own evaluation (that clearly says it is to be completed by the administrator) and meet again with him, so we can talk about it. I'm not sure what to think. We are a right-to-work state, so there is no union to consult.

I've been teaching a long while, and I've never had a principal who was unhappy with me before. I'm not sure what to do.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2018

What were the parent complaints?

How do you feel that you did? In other words, what are a couple of the strengths of the year, and a couple of the weaknesses?

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 17, 2018

One complaint was that their child was "not as prepared for the next grade as his older sibling had been." There were no more specifics except that the child needed help completing his homework. The child in question was special needs, and the older sibling was not (and was a high achiever.) The child in question received a C in the class and struggled more than any of the other students. He received small group instruction, and even one-on-one instruction to help him.

The other complaint was that science was not "hands-on" enough. I realize I could have done more hands-on, and readily admit that, but I did at least one hands-on STEM activity each week, and several larger scale experiments.

How do I feel I did? I thought I did a fabulous job in teaching math, The students did well, and really seemed to "get it." Many mentioned to me that I made them feel like they could "do math."

I felt I could do more with science. (Those were the only two areas discussed.) I wish I had a text book or other materials for science, and I've tried those weekly newspapers, but they didn't help as much as I wished. Creating everything from scratch is a never-ending task. But I could have done more.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 17, 2018

I wouldn't worry about what someone who can't be bothered to do their own job (i.e. observing teachers) thinks about how I do mine. FInd yourself a new school and move on.

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jun 17, 2018

Rainstorm,

I would look at your previous evals and fill it out. I would focus on the positive and frame next steps in a positive way. If your P wants to add things that are more negative I would let them do it - I would think they would have to be able to justify what they said and what they heard second hand wouldn't fly in that situation - so I wouldn't make it easy for your P by listing things that are negative - it sounds like you did lots of great stuff in science so it doesn't sound to me like you didn't do enough.

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.